• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Fire truck animation

Country
italy
Hi, I'm here again with a new question.

The airport I'm working on is open only during day time.
So, at 8.00 am a fire truck runs out from an hangar and goes on the apron. At 6.30 PM it goes back to the hangar.
The 2 animations are pretty easy to do in gmax. The problem is moving them to the sim :confused:

Any idea?

Country
italy
I think I have to do a lot of asm tweaking.

This could be the steps
- export the first animation
- "CAT" the first animation in order to have the code ready for the next tweaking. (I should put an animation trigger, 0388h, min 1 max 15)
- export the second animation
- cut & paste the second animation parameters (real4 lines) over the real4 parameters of the 'CAT created' reverse animation parameters
- compile the mdl (and pray in order to it compiles)
- run MDLTweaker and put a bunch of conditional display entry in the mdl:
0389h between 8 and 8 AND
0388h between 0 and 14 ; should show the mdl from 8.00 to 8.14
OR (don't know if this step is possible)
0389h between 18 and 18 AND
0388h between 0 and 14 ; should show the mdl from 18.00 to 18.14
- create a static mdl where the first animation stops and the second animation starts
- run MDLTweaker a put these conditions
0389h between 8 and 8 AND
0388h between 15 and 59
OR (don't know if this step is possible)
0389h between 9 and 17
- compile it
- place the 2 mdls on the scenery and enjoy the mess :p

Could this works?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It sounds like that could work, but it is a bit chaotic indeed :).

Do you really need the animation? The chance that someone is at your scenery while the vehicle drives is very small. So you could also just have to display either static at the start and end position. That would mean only two MDL files tweaked with MDL Tweaker for the correct conditions.

If you want the animation, I would do it like this. Your idea of replacing the reverse animation with the second animation file is a good one. Just make sure both animations use the same amount of frames and that the same parts are animated. Then that should work fine.

Then you only have the triggering to do. I would not use MDL Tweaker if you take the animation approach. Just manually tweak the trigger code, so that the forward animation is started at the time you want it and the backward animation also when you want it. In between that you should set the animation status so that it displays the static end position of the first animation right away.

If you need some help with the trigger tweaking, let me know once you got the animations itself working correctly.

Country
italy
----8<----8<------
Do you really need the animation? The chance that someone is at your scenery while the vehicle drives is very small. So you could also just have to display either static at the start and end position. That would mean only two MDL files tweaked with MDL Tweaker for the correct conditions.
----8<----8<------

I don't need it for sure :). Maybe users don't need it. But my betatester is extremely precise, so he NEEDS it: <<What is that damn thing that pops out in the morning and disappears in the evening???? Is there Copperfield near here??>>. I want to avoid to answer to question like this :D

Ok back to scenery design

I don't want to bore you anymore, because as soon as I wrote my previus 3d, i found a solution (that is not so clean, but, anyway, it works like charm)

- made two animated mdls (let call them 'in' and 'out') and 2 static mdls (one with the fire truck out and the hangar door closed and one with only the hangar door closed)
- CATed 'in' and 'out' with 0388 trigger min 1 max 15
- tweaked all the mdls with MDLTweaker in order to have the right timeline:

(obj1) 00.00-08.00 : static door
(obj2) 08.01-08.15 : in animation
(obj3) 08.16-09.00 : static truck and static door
(obj4) 09.00-18.00 : " "
(obj5) 18.01-18.15 : out animation
(obj6) 18.16-19.00 : static door
(obj1) 19.00-24.00 : static door

compile them ends up with a bgl that is 3 times bigger than the original animation...160k vs 62k, but as soon as the mdls are called in the scenery engine only when they are visible (mmh...aren't they?) it's not a great problem!
There's only a very little issue (my betatester will kill me as soon as he notices that :rolleyes: ): I change the sim clock several times to test the complete time line. As soon as I go to the day+1, the animations simply show up on the end frame. Not a real problem indeed, since no one will fly for a whole day around my airport (neither my betatester!)

Thank you again Arno for your inputs!