• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX First scenery project uploaded to AVSIM

Country
us-california
Rio Vista Municipal Airport in northern California.

File name: o88_rio_vista.zip. The scenery is closely modeled on the actual airport. It features many of my own scenery objects and some ground textures worked from Google Earth images. The area around the airport was giving significant attention.

The file is available on AVSIM. It has been downloaded 327 times. No complaints so far. I would like feed back on the project.

Thanks.

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Wow, looks pretty nice! Having actually been there (by route of a car, not plane), I'll definitely give this a shot.

Rio Vista was actually one of the airports on my list of places to try and fix up, but I've never delved fully into airport and 3D modeling, so I didn't get beyond creating day only photoscenery. :p If anyone's interested in the aforementioned photoscenery, let me know (it's based off of free USGS orthoimagery, so no need to worry about distribution).

Country
us-california
ollyau,

Thanks. The more people we have modeling airports the better. I would love to see more small airports, particularly in California. I hope you join the fray. I've started my next project, Nut Tree Airport at Vacaville.

I have two methods for night textures. I bet they are pretty universal. One, take actual night photos on a tripod and carefully Photoshop them in exactly over the day time images or two, use Photoshop brightness and contrast controls to darken the image. Paste day time windows back over the darkened night time images to get passable illumination. Day time shadows may need to be removed.

I found it's important to ensure any background on night time textures are black. Even though you do not select that part of the texture surrounding areas seem to bleed into the outline of the displayed texture. An outline of white, at night, is far less acceptable than one of black.

Bottom line, night time textures are really no more difficult than day time.

I would be interested in seeing your work. Please post it.

Hope, you take on an airport.

John

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
Okay first off, great to see some more airport scenery done atop MSE textures. I've added your airport to my website so hopefully that'll get you some more views.

O88_04.jpg

I like the quality of the textures you use for the photo-real sections but for me, personally, having them interspersed with the default textures looks bad. I'd rather have all one way or the other.

O88_06.jpg

The taxiways don't adequately cover the ground textures for me. You can probably back up that hold short to where it's supposed to be without any problems, still seems close enough to the runway (use ADE to test)

O88_11.jpg

O88_12.jpg

The above two images show that the placement of objects is just a bit off. I think this may be due to mesh? I'm using default FSX mesh in these shots.

O88_13.jpg

You've left some PAPI lights on the runway, they should be placed more accurately to ensure a proper glide slope. Also, SkyVector lists all of O88's PAPI lights as P2L, which means a 2-light PAPI on the left side of the runway. You're using the FSX default airport's 4-light PAPI.

O88_18.jpg

At night you need to go back and re-check the taxiway lighting, as all I see are what's shown in this image and a little more on the taxiway once you cross over Runway 15/33 but that's it.

Holy hell though massive kudos on the placement of all the surrounding airport buildings and objects. That must have been a ton of work. I'm not sure such detail should have gone into the town area by the river however - it looks good for the aerial fly by but does have a hard impact on frames... eh, tradeoffs.

Keep me posted on any updates if you want me to keep the airport listed on my website and feel free to contact me directly with any questions - gaiiden@blade-edge.com

Country
us-california
Good feedback

Gaiiden,

Thanks, that is exactly the sore of feedback I was hoping for and the screen shots are great. I'll be making improvements.

The stock asphalt textures are not nearly as dark on my system as they appear on yours. It look much better on my machine. If it turns out most people are seeing what you show than I'll have to look into more ground textures.

In the future, I'll try to place out lying scenery on a higher scenery density setting so it can be easily be excluded be users of slower machines. This project runs fine on my system. I hope frame rates are not suffering for most users.

Thanks

John

Attachments

• O88_Rio_Vista_Ground_Texture_Scene.jpg
    O88_Rio_Vista_Ground_Texture_Scene.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 516

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I've mentioned several times that asphalt is never that "black" in real life, even when freshly laid... ;)

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I'm guessing Drew was probably using the REX replacement airport ramp/taxiway textures. Many of those tend to be overly dark, from what I've observed.

Anyways, having tried it, great job on your first scenery! You must have put quite a lot of work placing all those buildings. :eek: I have no issue with the frame rate.

Here is a small selection of screenshots I grabbed:

5XCXX.jpg

y1dge.jpg

hsImn.jpg

nKcir.jpg

2Lpls.jpg

K6Bqp.jpg

zla4K.jpg

04pz3.jpg

dShJV.jpg

The base photoscenery is a mix of both the freeware BlueSkyScenery and the custom one I mentioned earlier, which I made based off of the USGS orthoimagery.

Last edited:
Country
panama
Rio Vista Municipal Airport in northern California.

File name: o88_rio_vista.zip. The scenery is closely modeled on the actual airport. It features many of my own scenery objects and some ground textures worked from Google Earth images. The area around the airport was giving significant attention.

The file is available on AVSIM. It has been downloaded 327 times. No complaints so far. I would like feed back on the project.

Thanks.

Congratulations....very nice work.;)

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
I've mentioned several times that asphalt is never that "black" in real life, even when freshly laid... ;)
It's really more about color distinction than anything else. I like having better contrast between "old" (bitumous) and "new" (asphalt) tarmac. It makes it closer to looking like this with the extra-dark REX HD asphalt than with the default textures.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Those who don't have the REX textures of course will see only the default of course... ;)

Country
us-california
Very nice Rio Vista! You nailed the look of the area, including that pesky wind farm :D I work in Sac, and have driven through Rio Vista many times, only dropped by the airport once though.

All you need now is a traffic back up caused by a stuck draw bridge.

Last edited:
Country
us-california
Thanks, David

I'm working on an update to fix the issues pointed out by Gaiiden as well as improving the on field buildings.

John