Fixing a scenery bug in FS2004 regarding some TV towers

I need to delete the following towers in the default scenery for Birmingham, Alabama:

Extra Television Tower: N33* 29.54' W86* 47.90'
Wrong position of Ch. 13 transmitter: N33* 29.34' W86* 47.73'
Wrong position of Ch. 6 transmitter: N33* 29.29' W86* 48.09'

To match up with my Birmingham scenery, I would like to replace those towers with new towers at the following coordinates:

Channel 13's tower should be at: N33* 29.13' W86* 47.92'
Channel 6's tower should be at: N33* 29.13' W86* 48.03'

Those positions correspond with my Vulcan scenery, and the downtown Birmingham scenery by Toni Hitulten.

How do I do this? There should be just four television towers in that area, not five. There are more towers on the mountain, but they're all okay, but it's just the towers in those coordinates that are the problem.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Have you tried to make an exclude for the towers you want to remove? You can do this with a piece of XML code or use ExcBuilder to make the source for you.

After that you should have the empty spots and then you can place new towers. Or if you know the GUIDs of the default objects you can probably place them again at the new location.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You use them by just calling them in the XML code, just like when you call the GUID of an object you made in GMax yourself.

The main problem is to find the GUIDs of the default objects. A lot of them are listed in the SDK by MS, but this list is not complete and on the other hand it also contains old objects no longer available in Fs2004. So I don't have a fast way to find them either.

Guys, I found the solution. I was looking at the scenery of Center Point (northeast of Birmingham, AL), and discovered the mast that I was using to represent a cell phone tower was actually the tip of a television tower. Using Rwy12 and excluding the file, the towers are now at the stations.

I don't know is any of you have notive this but the "tv" towers in FS9 are all very tall. Like 2200' feet tall!!. They just set the attitude to a negitive number so only the left over is hanging out about ground. Do a F4 in slew then a F1 so you slam into the ground. You can get below the terrain and see them all over the place this way!