• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Flight: I fear

Hi,
Looked at the latest FLIGHT announcements and hence the title.
I fear indeed it is going to be a game instead of a Flight Simulator.
They offer you missions and such but no hint to what you can do yourself to individualize your experience.
I love Eye Candy but only so much and I get really worried by them not giving any hint to anything else.
Either they managed to downgrade our FS9/FSX experience with all its deficiencies to a common game or they should indeed urgently hire a new communications manager or whatever his title and function may be.
At the present moment, I fear this Flight will not be, as we all hope, an improvement to our hobby but a curtailing of of it.
Wish somebody would tell me I am wrong!
Roby
PS: What has the former ACES team been doing after having been fired?

Country
us-utah
My take on it is that it is going to be a scaled down flight sim. I mean why is it not called Flight Sim 2012? (or even 11) Some game companies are doing this. Insted of putting alot of time and money into a new version they make a scaled down updated version (hence why it looks so much like FSX) and sell it for half price. Its the times. :rolleyes: I could see it being Hawaii only with say 5 or 6 planes, lots of missions and selling for $30.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
The "Flight" forum was closed a few weeks ago because of the rampant, idle, and sometimes contentious speculation, so starting a new topic even in the "General Chat" forum seems unlikely to be productive.

Many of the former ACES returned to Microsoft Game Studio, a few were hired by Lockheed-Martin to work on Prepar3D, the rest have gone elsewhere to seek their fortune.

Last edited:
Hi again,
I'd like to respond to Bill's remarks.
If you cannot trust Microsoft any longer, who would be left to trust?
So, this is not speculation or doom thinking from my side but rather the result of their being so secretive and uncommunicative from their side.
And what they have shown us is not really informative at all besides the "eye candy" and "missions" hints they sparingly released to the grand public. And not even the grand public at that because you can find hardly any news anywhere about Flight but on their own site.
One year after their announcement we still do not have the slightest inkling of what they are up to.
If I were their Marketing Manager, I would have done this differently, except when I would have to conceal that it would just the same of the old but packaged in another way and with e.g. only graphics improvements to FSX and all that at a higher price because of their cloud computing ideas.
But, as usual, you are right, it is only speculation, but overfed by their lack of informing us what to expect.
And that way they themselves incite our mistrust in things to come.
What are they afraid of? The money it will cost? The lack of new things? ...?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I would point out that historically, with the sole exception of FSX, Microsoft have ALWAYS been very closed mouth and "secretive" regarding the development of flight simulator.

They tried the more "open approach" with FSX, but they were unmercifully criticized, harrassed, insulted and discouraged by a small but VERY RUDE and LOUD minority...

"Once bitten; twice shy."

Country
canada
I would point out that historically, with the sole exception of FSX, Microsoft have ALWAYS been very closed mouth and "secretive" regarding the development of flight simulator.

Very true...and it's not just FS...it's the entire industry.
Every statement made becomes an implied promise.
The industry just doesn’t talk about stuff until it's a promise they can keep.
I think us fans just aren't very flexible about this stuff.
We rip them apart at any opportunity.
The more MS talks the more they fan the flames.
Even the simple screen shots lead to speculation that it's only Hawaii...
A vertical slice is an alpha deliverable…it’s the focus...if it weren't it would be an indication the process is off the rails.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Bill has reminded y'all about rampant speculation. The truth is that those who know will not say and those who do not know will speculate.

I think I am on record more times than I can remember about my patholgical hate of speculation. To be honest I would rather speculate on how I will spend the money when I win the lottery than about what Flight will be like :cool:

Country
us-virginia
Many of the former ACES returned to Microsoft Game Studio, another dozen or so were hired by Lockheed-Martin to work on Prepar3D, the rest have gone elsewhere to seek their fortune.

I don't know where this rumor got started about a bunch of ACES folks going to Lockheed. There's just myself (and I'm a contractor, not a full time) and one 3D artist/GeoData tech.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I don't know where this rumor got started about a bunch of ACES folks going to Lockheed. There's just myself (and I'm a contractor, not a full time) and one 3D artist/GeoData tech.

Rumors are just another sort of speculation ;)

Country
unitedkingdom
To be honest I would rather speculate on how I will spend the money when I win the lottery than about what Flight will be like

You would not believe how advanced my plans are for what to do once I've won the lottery. As long as it's not a £10 scratch card...

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates

Correction made to read: "a few were hired..."

I don't know myself where that began, but I suspect I read it on the web somewhere... :tapedshut