Floating Buildings

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
They are generic buildings and the problem seems to be caused by the 'round earth' model in FSX. You cannot set the altitude of generic buildings and they should all be set at zero AGL. Some people have placed aprons under them - whether this works or not is to test I think....

Well, it seems you use FS9 fence builder which is not compliant with fsx transparency.
Buildings are ok but not fences.
You should replace with FSX ones.

Yes I do have FBP but I didn't use it to place the buildings. They were placed with ADE or Instant Scenery. They are generic buildings though. Why would generic be affected and not all buildings. I have even tried to Flatten the area to make them settle down. The ones in the shot are over aprons.

May I repeat: buildings are ok. I guess they lie on the ground. But the fences have a transparency bug. You cannot see the buildings through fences set with an fs9 tool.
Try removing fs9 fences.

And I repeat ......... The fences are in the background! The fences are OK! They are visible because the buildings are floating!
It's the buildings!
Joe W

And I repeat ......... The fences are in the background! The fences are OK! They are visible because the buildings are floating!
It's the buildings!
Joe W
What airport is your picture taken from. Buildings do float in FSX but yours is higher then what we normally see.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Joe,

I would also suspect it is a transparency bug. Is the fence a BGLComp fence or a custom placed object?

It's the buildings!
Joe W
Well, can we have another screen with a few meters higher point of view ?
How large is the building ? 10m or 200m ?

The fences are OK! They are visible because ...
Fine ! Anyway, did you try removing the fences ? That's the only way for us to actually exclude this hypothesis.

Last edited:
This is the same airport, MKJS- Sangster, in Jamaica. This is a default building. There have been no mods here at all. Only the grass texture is changed. The building is on an apron of asphalt.
JoeW

Attachments

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Joe,

I checked the airport and they are indeed floating. I can't figure out yet what is causing this, I am thinking that maybe the bottom texture is not loading correctly.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Joe,

I checked the airport and they are indeed floating. I can't figure out yet what is causing this, I am thinking that maybe the bottom texture is not loading correctly.
Perhaps try changing the generic building at that point and see if that makes a difference?

All the buildings at that airport are floating. I've seen this at other airports too. This airport is at el 7.0 feet, 2.133 meters. I checked and that is the correct altitude.
JoeW

Hi Joe,
Thank you for giving the location
Not all buildings but all generic buildings. Standard 3D buildings like terminal or tower are ok.
I tried to add any generic building, the bug remains as generic buildings require a 0.0M AGL altitude setting.
That's an interesting issue :confused: