• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Fly! Legacy, the open source flight simulator released

On behalf of the Fly.Simvol team, I have the huge pleasure to announce that after several years of development and hard work, the 1st public version of Fly! Legacy (0.3.3 alpha), the opensource flight simulator (written in C++ and using OpenGL) based on Fly! II, the Terminal Reality's flight simulator of the early 2000s, is now available for download on Fly.Simvol (http://fly.simvol.org/indexus.php).
If you are interested, you can also download the source code of the project at this address:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flylegacy/

This software has been mainly developed by Chris Wallace, Jean Sabatier, Laurent Claudet, Luc Lion, Didier Rigault, Frank Dhont (other people also took part in this project) and it is currently in development stage (alpha version).
The work was huge because the first step of the development consisted in reproducing a software which has the same behavior than the original simulator, and which used its databases.
After that, came the second step which was to make the new simulator compatible with all the third party add-on developed throughout the years by the passionnate users. This makes it possible to use sceneries, aircraft and plugins available on the different websites.

Thus, the core software is centered on the Cessna 172 (from TRI) which was set to work as well as possible. Other aircraft can be easily adapted and we hope that a strong cooperation from the community to help us in this task.
Today, the software is operational, but the intial project evolved: the idea is now to make the software independant from Fly! II, in order to allow a majority of users to take part in this project. For this purpose, the migration to SQL databases was made possible.

Besides, this 1st alpha version (mainly targetted for developers) has a limitation (which will be removed in future versions): currently, Fly! II is still needed (7-8 files), but we are working to remove those last dependencies. Nevertheless, all the developers are welcome to help us complete this complex task as soon as possible.
It is therefore important to keep in mind that bugs may remain and that some features have not yet been developed.

Those tempted by the project can help us using various skills: C++ development, 3D objects designing, user interface, and so on... If you are interested, then you can contact us or post a message on our forum (http://forum.simvol.org).

Note that Fly.Simvol is now present on:
- Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/FlySimvol/143471495687327)
- Twitter (http://twitter.com/FlySimvol)
- Ustream (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/fly-simvol)
- YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/FlySimvol)
We invite you to show your support to the project by following us on these different websites.

In any case, we strongly encourage you to post your comments, critics and bug reports on the Fly.Simvol forum (http://forum.simvol.org).
Let the adventure begin and have a good flight !

Excellent effort by your team, I was/am quite a fan of Fly! - and subsequent versions.

It is such a huge undertaking, and I wish the team every success.

I am off to find my Fly!II discs...:D

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Thanks for sharing this with us! That is an interesting development and I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

Since my last message, the situation changes a lot. Indeed, we have published a new version 0.6.5.1 which brings important new features, as the Cessna 172 HD, the virtual pilot, a more realistic flight model but also, Fly! Legacy is now totally independent, it is not necessary anymore to have Fly! II.
http://fly.simvol.org/indexus.php

+1 to this! There is a distinct lack of available, open source code in the simulations market. I am quite impressed by where this project is headed!

Many thanks. This sounds great! I look forward to checking it out.

May I ask if you plan on having 3D cockpits in the near future?

Bill

Last edited:
Since my last message, the situation changes a lot. Indeed, we have published a new version 0.6.5.1 which brings important new features, as the Cessna 172 HD, the virtual pilot, a more realistic flight model but also, Fly! Legacy is now totally independent, it is not necessary anymore to have Fly! II.
http://fly.simvol.org/indexus.php

Cool thanks, downloading. Fly!2 was once my preferred sim... Hope for a
Linux version and try in Wine for now.

Warning

I believe Fly! Legacy may make undesirable changes to the Win7 system

During installation it asked to do something (I can't remember exactly what) to the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables and I allowed it to.

Subsequently I found a problem with the FSX default C172. Switching off avionics power no longer worked. I know it used to work because I have very recently made changes to some bitmaps in the cessna.dll file to correct the problem of the NAV/GPS warning remaining illuminated when avionics power is off. (I documented this here at AVSIM. )

I uninstalled but this had no effect. I did a System Restore to before its installation and the FSX problem disappeared.

My conclusion is it replaced some Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables with inappropriate versions.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Since you have a way to "undo the damage" Gerry, what happens if you install the program and do NOT allow it to change the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables files?

I only installed Fly! Legacy out of curiosity. Having managed to recover my system, I'm not so curious that I'm prepared to put it at risk again.

Not doubt its developers will tell us what changes the installer makes to the Visual C++ 2008 Redistibutables. They should know - it's their installer.

EDIT
It also required a Python installation as well, although I doubt that would affect FSX. Is it written in Python?

Last edited:
I think I might know what's going on here.

When I installed it, it automatically ran the redistributable package installer. Of course I already had the VC2008 redistributable files installed so instead of opening the installer in install mode, it opened it in maintenance mode. I think the default option in that case is to change/repair/uninstall the redistributable, which if you were just quickly clicking through the installer (as everybody does) you might have missed this fact.

I definitely don't think this was intentionally done by the authors, I think they just don't have the installer check to see if the redistrib is installed before launching the setup package.

That might have been the case. certainly there were menu items in Fly! Legacy that had no effect.

It may not have been intentional it's unacceptable practice for any installer to make changes to resources it doesn't "own" - espcially system ones.

Actually, the installer doesn't check the presence of the VC2008 librairies, this is a mistake.
I contacted the developers and this problem will be fixed in the next version.

As long as it's not fixed, if you know that you have the librairies installed, ignore this installation and close the window of the VC2008 redistribuable when it appears.

For the Python, it is planned that some plugins in the software to be written in Python but for the moment, as it's a Windows version, all the plugins are DLL.

Now that this has been brought to your attention, surely the reasponsible thing to do is to prevent any further downloads until the "developers" fix this error?

After all, it does have serious adverse effects and not everyone will know what version of the Visual C++ Redistributable 2008 is installed, or veven if it's installed. I don't use Visual C++ so I didn't.

It's definitely M$ to blame, if their runtimes are incompatible! Simply installing the newest should fix it anyway or switch to another OS...Linux with WINE etc.

On Vista for ex. I cannot even install the newest VC. Oh well I could if I could get SP2...it installs for hours then rolls back! sigh...:mad:

It's definitely M$ to blame, if their runtimes are incompatible! Simply installing the newest should fix it anyway or switch to another OS...Linux with WINE etc.

On Vista for ex. I cannot even install the newest VC. Oh well I could if I could get SP2...it installs for hours then rolls back! sigh...:mad:

Not sure what this means. I never had any trouble with Vista. I have installed Fly, and did let it alter C++. I think FS is OK. But I haven't altered FS except for adding a few of my own airports. I was nervious about letting it do its thing. We'll see.

Bob

It's definitely not Microsoft to blame. The blame is with the developers of Fly whose installer calls the installer for the Redistributables without checking if they are already present or not. That's an elementary and inexcusable error.

No, even Rage etc. install such things without asking. if any problems occur it's your PC's fault.
Anyway as someone pointed out, if already installed, the installer asks for repair or remove.

There is a difference between installing something that isn't already installed and fouling up something that is.

Why should I be asked asked if I want to repair or uninstall when I don't want or need to do either? Competent pragramming would have checked first, instead of blindly calling the installer.