Fokker D.21 fighter for FSX

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Hello guys,

I thought I'd introduce you to the Dutch Defender of may 1940. It's the Fokker D.21, a fighter with a Bristol Mercury engine. Used by the Dutch, Danish and Finnish airforces in WWII.
I'm creating this in Blender, for FSX. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Thanks!

Made this shot just to check if I'm still able to get a model into FS;)

I'm still working on the right shape of the fuselage.

Last edited:

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Been working on the cowling, in my opinion it's finished now.

Edit: just after this post, I discovered that the placement of the exhaust was not correct. It is corrected now, as you can see in the second pic.

Last edited:

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Update! This is what it's looking like now!

But, about the engine, is it good? Enough detail, or too much? What's your opinion?

Last edited:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Enough detail for me.

You could of course do an ultra-detailed engine, but then you'd have to implement a removable cowling for folks to marvel at it. :D

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Yeah, think this is OK! I'll have to optimize the engine a bit though.. And, texturing can do a lot. The Bristol Mercury VIII cooling fins are to fine to model for FS, so that could be done using some texturing.

Update for today! I added the Goertz-gunsight, as used on the Dutch Fokkers. Furthermore, I edited the rudder.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor

I found some time to add the majority of the gauges this night! After finishing the main panel, I will pay attention to the left side of the cockpit, with ao the throttle quadrant.

Enjoy!

Attachments

hairyspin

Resource contributor
You build it one step at a time Bernardo: it may look daunting but aircraft exterior modeling looks daunting to start with too. Animations and coding don't have to be uber-complex to start with, just use the default modeldef.xml systems. You can impersonate Bill Leaming later as experience and confidence grow. ;)

You're no novice with Blender, Dutcheeseblend!

thanks for the advices, but I almost can't cope with modelling . I feel like "or modelling or virtual cockpit creations".all this seem like a huge task. anyway who know...:cool:

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
@hairyspin: Thank you! I'm working with Blender for almost four years now;)

@bernardo: Just try:)! Before I started with this VC, I felt my project as nearly abandoned. But... just start and try! Work structural. Begin with the basic shape, let then follow everything in a logic order. And, now what you're modelling. I have the ability to read a book about the Fokker during breaks at work (I've looked at the photographs for a hundreds of times) and discover what the model should be. And again, in a structural way!
Well, just my approach;)