• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

RELEASED: Fokker T.5 bomber for FSX/P3D

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I've been thinking this was close to release for like a year.
I'm amazed of the improvement I didn't even think was possible :yikes:
yet exhausted from waiting to actually fly this.

Really really good job you are doing here.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks guys! Really encouraging for me, especially since I sometimes loose the power, since it's such an unknown and rare aircraft (16 ever build)...

Well, I went on with the 'copilot' position, although his main job was gunner. When the first pilot was severely wounded, the second pilot could separate his controls from the first pilot ones, by a hydraulic unlocking mechanism...

second_pilot_01.jpg

His view was perfect, although a bit creepy when under attack...

second_pilot_02.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
I've been waiting for this the day you announced it, its been fantastic watching it progress and getting closer and closer to being finished :)

Ronald

Resource contributor
Thanks guys! Really encouraging for me, especially since I sometimes loose the power, since it's such an unknown and rare aircraft (16 ever build)...
(to me) A very big reason to see this project through to 100% completion Dutcheesblend, so you can let the whole world know about this wonderful piece of Dutch aviation industrial history
and enable its memory and spirit to live on in the hearts and mind of many flightsimulator / aviation enthousiast and "virtual skies".

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I've got a little bit of time to make something new. At the left side of the fuselage, at the copilot's station, there's a pump for hydraulic unlocking of the first pilot's controls. Using this pump, the second pilot controls a standalone hydraulic circuit, which decouples the controls of the first pilot. This is needed in case of emergency, for example if the pilot isn't able to control the airplane anymore.

unlocker_01.jpg

Furthermore, I improved the structure of the mid section by adding some details.

At the right hand side of the mid section, I added a number of things: the manual hydraulic pump, the emergency valve to extend the gear and the lever for the windscreen of the second pilot (front to rear).

unlocker_02.jpg

Next up is the windscreen itself. Since I do not have good references on this, I'll have to design it myself.

Daan

Ronald

Resource contributor
Looking great Daan keep 'm coming those screenshots!

Since I do not have good references on this, I'll have to design it myself.
I've got an idea for you:
- Is it possible for you to gain access to other Fokker planes and see what there insides look like?
- then deduct a kind of "Fokker design philosophy / spirit" from the other Fokker aircraft interiors / architectures?
and so become able to continue to add and design part "in the spirit of Fokker engineers" in that time-frame?.

I hope these links and documents below can help you with that:
- https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/229010-data-sheet-fokker-tv/ - see the third big "blueprint" like image
- https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=pts&hl=en&q=ininventor:"Fokker+Anthony+Herman+Gerard" - Fokker filed patent drawings on Google
>>
- http://www.emeraldinsight.com/loi/aeat
- http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/eb030289
>>
- https://www.scribd.com/document/250501888/Introduction-to-Aerospace-Engineering-2nd-Edition
- https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/r0002.pdf
- https://soek.pro/fokker/news-933428/

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thank you Ronald! Interesting references.

Well, it's a difficult story, but let's start.

The link to the warthunder thread is interesting but still doesn't get very close. The drawings are in fact modelers drawings, so it's a source from the nth level. I had these drawings in the start, but I needed to verify them with photographs. In the end, these drawings were mostly correct, by the way.
Furthermore, I discovered a number of persistent errors in interpretation. These errors will continue and continue through time, which is another reason why I should have original photographs. Art, for example, is worthless. It's an artistic interpretation, that's it.
The direct family of the T.5 is the D.21, the G.1 and the T.8W. The latter would have most similarities with the T.5 but yet again, I lack detail photographs. Regarding configuration, the T.5 is a species on its own within the Fokker family. An example: I've been working on the trim tabs and control surfaces' controlling levers/rods/horns. Even the best photographs of the T.5 don't give a single clue how these looked. Nowadays, there are high resolution, well-illuminated and close-up photographs, but that wasn't the case then. So what I did, I went for photographs of the Fokker S.11, which is largely based upon the D.21. Finally, I made up the trim tabs inspired by the S.11.
Also, regarding interior, the yoke of the T.8W and T.5 even differ. The only thing they had in common, also with the D.21 and G.1 and older airplanes, were the engine levers in the cockpit. I went to the Aviodrome and even the S.14 had similar levers!

But although the F.27 Friendship is based upon the T.8W, I couldn't use it. Cockpit equipment is typically post-war. Fokker's post-war designs are highly influenced by British (and US) designs, and all adhere to post-war rules. Next to that, construction method is completely different, as well as (aerodynamic) configuration: the nose section of the T.5 is made of 'modern' aluminium sheets*, the mid section and the wings were an integral part made of wood, while the tail section was a steel-tube truss framework of 7 meters long, with oval shapers and fabric covering. Wooden tail. Building method and other systems really have influence on each other, since an aircraft is an integrated system.

That's what makes it difficult. But today was my day: http://www.nederlandseluchtvaart.nl/forums/showthread.php?35088-Fokker-T-5-FSX&p=70894#post70894
That is what I need. Probably these are the best photographs (regarding overall information) I've ever seen.

I hope this makes clear what it is to develop this thing. I must admit that I have chosen to do this, so it's my own 'fault'. I wánt to recreate these birds and I love to process all available information into a wonderful product.

Thanks! Daan

* Built as if it were wood, though. Really.

Ronald

Resource contributor
That's what makes it difficult. But today was my day: http://www.nederlandseluchtvaart.nl/forums/showthread.php?35088-Fokker-T-5-FSX&p=70894#post70894
That is what I need. Probably these are the best photographs (regarding overall information) I've ever seen.
As you can see, the magic is already happening for you.. "Just ask and it will be given".

I hope this makes clear what it is to develop this thing. I must admit that I have chosen to do this, so it's my own 'fault'. I wánt to recreate these birds and I love to process all available information into a wonderful product.
Thanks for the explanation Daan on the Fokker-T5-development-proces. I get a much better picture now what you are going through creating this wonderful bird. And to my opinion: You do not have made any "fault",
you've just have chosen a steep climbing path to test your inner strength, talents, skills and grow like you have grown like never before. Enjoy the view from the next hill-top you will achieve ;).

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi there,

I am progressing, now I finished a detailed (that is, for me) rendition of the Lewis M.20 gun that was used on this plane. This example is equipped with a "windvane" sight and custom ammo drum.

lewis_02.png

The Dutch Army Air Corps started to use them somewhere in WW1, and as we see, up to WW2.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
In this short video, the Fairey gun ring with a Lewis gun mounted is demonstrated. It has two modes of operation:
- Mouse controlled, when the user is still flying;
- Joystick controlled, when the AP is switched on.

Obviously, this Fokker did not have an AP. However, the commander (in the nose) had a direction commander: a set of lights with which he was able to command the pilot into a certain heading. Since a multicrew aircraft might be difficult to operate in FSX for a single user, I expanded this to a simple autopilot. Now, the user can play commander, gunner or radio-operator without worrying about the controls.

Country
france
OH MY......
This is amazing :D (now is miss TacPack guns lol :) and Shared Cockpit for multiplayer )

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Dear all,

In the recent weeks, I got my hands on the fuselage mid section. There's hardly more information than descriptive phrases from the handbook and some sketches available to me, so that's what I have.

Here, the equipment for the radios, battery box (lowest box) and main fuses.

midsection_01.jpg

I added a reel for the aerial. As for now, I won't make it functional. Also, a curtain has been added at the fore and aft side of the radio-operator's section.

midsection_02.jpg

From this section up to the front, it looks quite well. Remark: I haven't (re)mapped and textured this section yet. Has to come. Tedious job.

midsection_03.jpg

And the pilot received a blower to heat his windows.

midsection_04.jpg

That's it for now, have a nice weekend,

Daan

Ronald

Resource contributor
Aviation history is slowly coming alive again. This looks great Daan!