• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 Font letter spacing

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

Problem. I setup a font to show up in a gauge and only some of the numbers or letters show up. Examples;
1. KNOTS shows up as KNO... with big spaces between it.
2. Altitude digital readout (like say 1400) is not showing, except for the first two digits, such as 14.

Altitude gauge coding;

Code:
    <Element>
        <Position X="30" Y="350"/>
        <Text Bright="Yes" X="550" Y="222" Length="3" Multiline="No" Fixed="Yes" Font="SpaceOutExtended" FontSize="100" Color="#43EAF0" Adjust="Left" VerticalAdjust="Bottom">
                            <String>%((A:Indicated Altitude,feet) 32000 min 0 max)%!5.0f!</String>
         </Text>
    </Element>

What am I missing? I adjust the X="xxxx" window slot opening enough so all the letters/numbers can appear in it, but then it goes from crowded (two narrow) to just right, and it has missing letters/numbers? Is there something I am missing? Is there a way to over-ride this?

The fonts are big. That 'might' have a bearing on whats going on.

Below, you can see the ALT. readout as 43. It should be 4300.

I became agitated and wrote out the KNOTS font and did the fonts of 'heading' and altitude and speed into the background image art, so ignore that. But I need to know why it only showed KNO instead of KNOTS, and why Altitude is showing 43 instead of 4300.

A thousand thanks on how to get this right.

Bill
LHC

-493-0t9rg.JPG

Country
us-arizona
Also, even though the font arrange is set for LEFT, it still locates to the right... odd..

Country
australia
#1.
Why only 3 characters long ? ... eg; Length="3"
also ,
#2.
X="550" Y="222" the aspect ratio of your text block limits the horizontal length displayed .

Cheers
Karol

PS;
I prefer to use "Formatted text" instead of "Text" .
A useful tip to establish if your text box is large enough to display what you desire is to put in
BackgroundColor="#151918" during the development phase , that background colour will
visually show if the display area is large enough .
After you have confirmed and adjusted the display box size you can then remove the BackgroundColor="#151918" .

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

In my hands, the x=550 appears to control the size of the font displayed, and the Y=222 controls the allowed length. The Length= line must then be adjusted so all the desired characters display. So as Karol stated above, you probably need to increase that from 3 to a higher number.

Country
us-arizona
A thousand thanks guys. I missed that 'length' setting. Many thanks Karol for the input on the background back. Will do. Thanks Tom for the data on the Y setting. You would think X would use that setting.

Many many thanks....

Bill
LHC

Country
us-arizona
Also... For some reason, my Formatted Text isnt working in P3D. I havent tested it in FSX, but in P3D, I had to change it to 'Text' from 'FormattedText'. I'll investigate that.

Country
us-arizona
Worked great, guys.

I moved Altitude to the top center as it was blending into the yellow plane icon. Bottom Left is HDG. I'll change out the text and maybe make the fonts in the screen digital instead of graphics integrated so I can do some cool switching.

Great idea on backgrounds, Karol. Thanks for that.

oaeirgnowr.JPG