• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Font Weight and Font Size?

Country
us-arizona
Hey guys,

Just curious. What does FontWeight= mean? I have been using FontSize= but curious what FontWeight signify's, and if there is a major difference.

I note that for instance, a size of weight might be 400, where a FontSize might be 18 or 20.

Many thanks for any tidbits for this kindergardner...

Bill

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Bill, that information is in the SDK, in the section on C gauges...

FONT WEIGHT:
Contains the font weight of the string.

Specifies the weight of the font in the range 0 through 1000. For example, 400 is normal and 700 is bold. If this value is zero, a default weight is used.

Code:
Value                Weight 
FW_DONTCARE            0 
FW_THIN               100 
FW_EXTRALIGHT         200 
FW_ULTRALIGHT         200 
FW_LIGHT              300 
FW_NORMAL             400 
FW_REGULAR            400 
FW_MEDIUM             500 
FW_SEMIBOLD           600 
FW_DEMIBOLD           600 
FW_BOLD               700 
FW_EXTRABOLD          800 
FW_ULTRABOLD          800 
FW_HEAVY              900 
FW_BLACK              900

FONT_SIZE:
Specifies the font size for the string. A value of zero (0) means scale so that NUMCHARS capital W's fit into SIZE_X. A non-zero FONT_SIZE means fixed height.

Country
us-arizona
Ahhhhh....

Roger that Fr. Bill..

I did paruse the FS2004 Panels SDK on gauges, but the continuous calls for C style instead of XML had me a bit confused, unknowing if C uses XML and vice versa.. (I think tramatized is more the word). I found it easier to study existing gauges then read the SDK. (Like the lists of the variables, parameters, measures, etc, which are straight forward).

So there are two ways to write it then. Good to know.

Incredible that the computer can do all this font work in all these gauges, with variables of font thickness included, and with such ease. Imagine a Commodore 64 trying to do all this, lol..

Bill

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Bill, FontWeight and FontSize were simply carried over from C. Understand and all XLM script is parsed and ultimately 'translated' into C for consumption by the sim.

Now, all that said, I much prefer using FormattedText myself, using standard font names and standard point sizes... :D