Format of detail texture

I am trying to create a detail texture, similar to the default ones in FSX/P3D for runways and taxiways. I have seen that the mode of the default ones are indexed color 8 bit so I did the same with mine. My texture is 1024x1024 and 72dpi.

I am applying the detail texture on a 3d object on a sloped taxiway, not a GP, although the behavior is the same when I apply it on a GP. What I get is a dark overlay on the taxiway which disappears when I go near as in the screenshot below:

When up close my detail actually shows well. Is there a specific attribute that the detail texture needs to have that I'm missing?

Just a thought, but maybe it has something to do with shadows.
Being a 3D object, you may want to try opening the file in ModelConverterX. Navigate to "Material Editor," select the applicable texture, and under "No shadow" select "True." Then, export the file and load up the sim to test.
Not sure if it will fix your problem, but it's worth a try!

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
I am trying to create a detail texture, similar to the default ones in FSX/P3D for runways and taxiways. I have seen that the mode of the default ones are indexed color 8 bit so I did the same with mine. My texture is 1024x1024 and 72dpi.

I am applying the detail texture on a 3d object on a sloped taxiway, not a GP, although the behavior is the same when I apply it on a GP. What I get is a dark overlay on the taxiway which disappears when I go near as in the screenshot below:

When up close my detail actually shows well. Is there a specific attribute that the detail texture needs to have that I'm missing?
What is the detail scale in the material properties?

Hi again!

As you may see in the pics above, the parts of the object that are "ground" have the default detail1.bmp assigned as detail texture. This is to make them blend better with the surrounding real ground. At first I had that texture copied from the ...\Scenery\World\Texture\ folder into my scenery's texture folder. As I will be sharing this scenery, and to avoid people having to do this copying manually, I tried using a texture.cfg file inside my texture folder, similar to the ones used in aircraft. The cfg file contents are the below:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\World\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\World\texture

Lo and behold, this worked great in P3D v3 and v4! However, it does not seem to work in FSX (SE). If I do not have the detail1.bmp file inside my scenery's texture folder the areas look black.

I would appreciate any ideas to avoid people having to do this copying manually in FSX.