• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Format of elevation 16 bit binary file?

Country
australia
Greetings All,
I currently have two programs from Golden Software (www.goldensoftware.com) called Didger and Surfer that I use for my work related projects. Didger allows one to digitize contours with the mouse (using a background bitmap copy of a topographical map). The created file can then be read by the Sufer package, which can in turn generate a regular grid file of interpolated values.

What I would like to do is write a FORTRAN program that reads these grid values, and writes out a separate file of elevation values, which together with an INF file can be read by the FSX RESAMPLE.EXE SDK program.

However, I am unsure of the format the elevation value file RESAMPLE.EXE requires. The SDK says and references that it should be a 16-bit integer sequential binary file with values that start at the top left-hand corner of the mesh and then proceeds row by row. I assume the values could be in the negative range but of course normally 0 (at sea level) to 32767. I am intending to use a sequential binary write. However, is there a header to this file? or is RESAMPLE.EXE expecting just a file of only 16 bit binary integer grid values.?

Any comments would be appreciated. Re

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Frank.

No header. Just a RAW file. It can either be Intel or Motorola number sequencing format, as the resample has commands to recognize both. ( LSB or MSB ).

Dick

Country
brazil
The resample reads some files formats (Band Interleaved by Line (BIL), Band Sequential (BSQ) and now Geotiff), to generate mesh bgl.

These formats have definitions you could find in websites - example: (http://www.genaware.com/support/faqs/11/126/)

Perhaps, those format definitions could help you to create your own format.

Regards,

José

Country
australia
My approach now for generating detailed mesh fixes in FSX has changed as follows:

· Load Didger.exe/Import bitmap background reference/calibrate bitmap/digitize contours as normal
· Export data to SURFER.exe to generate a grid file/scale the meter spacing values to mimic arc degrees
· Import grid file to Global Mapper 8 and export a Geotiff file with 16bit elevation values
· Use GeoTiffExamine.exe to change the default Lat/Long of the Geotiff file
· Set up the *.inf file
· Copy the *.inf file and paste into the Resample.exe icon
· Move the BGL file output to the Add On Scenery folder
· Run FSX

Further details can be provided in this thread if requested.

Country
brazil
If you want to compile mesh file for the USA territory, there are many options of dem files, with horizontal resolution as high as 10 m.

For other regions, all over the word, there are srtm files with 90 m resolution, that can be resampled to 76 m.

Those images are free and request no aditional treatment, besides its conversion to the format resample reads, which can be done with GM.

Those files are in their third version and almost all the voids were eliminated.

Recently, I compiled all continental South America territory using 90 m srtm dem files. Available at www.avsim.com

If you need aditional information, please make contact.

Regards,

José

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hi Jose,
Yes thanks I am aware of this, however I'm in Australia and FSX and the DEM's available do not give sufficient resolution for certain key topo features and local islands even around Sydney. I'm sure there are many such situations elsewhere so this procedure is designed as one way to rectify the problem. Regrds:)

Country
brazil
Hi, Frank

I understood. You should have good topological maps of those places.

BTW, there's a guy named Jonathan de Ferranti that maintain a website at

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/

dedicated to correct this kind of trouble in dem files.

Perhaps you've heard people talking about him, because he's developing a great and original work on this area.

If not, please, take a look at his website and you'll appreciate his work.

Regards,

José