• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2020 seems to be a game, but not simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
indonesia
just wonder, does MSFS2020 have roadmap for combat as military does or just civilians?

Country
finland
It is actually fascinating to see how people draw their own conclusions on a piece of software that is not even published yet, bashing it without knowledge. The developers have clearly stated that this is a paltform for a long-term project and that there will be continuous, regular updates. The marketplace is not restricting the distribution of add-ons and freeware on other sites - that has also clearly been stated. There are already several high-level 3rd party add-on developers working on their products, and they seem very impressed with the way the sim developers are responding and communicating. There is absolutely no sign that this sim would be "unflyable". Yes, it is the first version of a huge piece of software with scenery covering the entire planet, so there will certainly be bugs and various glitches. And the default aircraft will probably not be study-level, but as far as I understand at least the GA planes are well ahead of corresponding default planes in other sims. Not mentioning the environment and the weather physics.

Only one week to go now until we will see the facts. In a year or two this simulator will improve a lot - the developers are a very determined bunch of people!

(I am an alpha/beta tester since a couple of months and have more than 200hrs of flying in the sim, so I have a fairly good knowledge about it's capabilities).

Country
us-california
this is a paltform for a long-term project and that there will be continuous, regular updates.

that all sound really nice on paper,
MS never stopped development before, why would they start now?

The marketplace is not restricting the distribution of add-ons and freeware on other sites

is that why only select "approved" developers have access while the rest snubbed?

D

Deleted member 12505

8 days ... but my understanding is that those of us under "developer NDA" (not Tech Alpha/Beta NDA) are still NOT permitted to discuss the SDK even after the 18th? Let alone if we got "accepted" into the Marketplace partner program where "some" have while many have NOT and/or still "Under review".

It is a game, that's where the money is at -- I don't really see this as a problem? It's primary focus is for the new XBOX which MS need to make available in time for the holiday season which might explain why the PC version is being rushed out the door on the 18th and giving Asobo 2 months or so to get it working on XBOX. But why would a DLC provider care whether it's a game or simulator if sales numbers increase significantly? I don't think any developer would mind if a "lite" version of their aircraft sold 10X more in a "game" vs. a "simulator", would they? Same for airport developers. Everyone will want to test the door of opportunity and see what it does or doesn't do for them.

It might eventually evolve into a more complex simulator but that's pure speculation and I don't take Microsoft/Asobo on their word (sorry have been left holding an unsupported bag of EOL far too many times when it comes to software development with Microsoft technologies). I would NOT expect MS/Asobo to provide an "equal" and level playing field at any point of the development of MSFS (pre and post release) ... it's theirs, they OWN it. I guess we just hope they don't pick an airport or aircraft that one might already be working on as there is no way one could compete against MS's own DLC (zero fees) that has direct access to the core and can add features on demand ... I can see and expect to see, MSFS updates coming frequently and MSFS DLC appearing shortly after the updates with features we don't have in the SDK (which might come later).

For those looking for facts, airport O46, have a good giggle ... and there's more. The blind eye of compromises continues ... lets see who notices and who doesn't. I've seen YouTubers going over MSFS "icing" on the aircraft as if this is a "new" concept to flight simulators ... there have been plenty of aircraft for P3D that implement icing on surfaces ... but somehow this is a "new era" of technology?

The MSFS "out of box" experiences is definitely better than other platforms. It would be wonderful to see a boom in DLC purchase potential and I think that will happen initially, long term I don't know how long a flight game can hold a "gamers" attention especially when UE5 is demonstrating some incredible visuals several orders of magnitude better than what we see in MSFS. But I honestly can't see Microsoft/Asobo spending a lot of development time and money into making MSFS more complex and "simulator" like when that's an already known user quantity not sufficient to sustain MSFS long term ... it wouldn't make sense from a business perspective to be "simulator" focused rather than "game" focused.

Cheers, Rob.

Country
us-california
not certain it was done quite the way you're stating

what do you call than when developers are trying to get in touch and flat out ignored?
radio silence while others reporting different, so... what gives?
however you want to call it, the bottom line is still that,

while many active developers trying to get in touch,
its the none developers who are gaining access while attitude toward developers is very different,
more in lines of "we will think about it"... unless you have a social media following?

i think that alone speaks louder than words with regards to third party developers value in the eye of the platform developer,

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Guys - I am seeing that this topic is becoming opinionated. I can say from my experience that some things being quoted or argued here are wrong. We are expecting a lot of comment on the new sim when it arrives. But that it the point - when it arrives. Also if you really do not like Microsoft or the way they behave that is your privilege and of course should be respected but there comes a point where (as suggested in another post) if you really don't like it leave it and stick with another sim. I suggest saving the speculation until after launch next week.

D

Deleted member 12505

Hi Jon ... I guess I'm a little puzzled? You've created and MSFS2020 forum BEFORE product release, technically how could anything being posted NOW not be "opinion" or "speculation"? Obviously there are many of us working with the product and it's SDK so we're not speculating, but there are numerous sites/youtubers posting in sim footage and that seems to be OK with Microsoft so long as it's positive.

I agree with "don't like it leave it and stick with another sim" ... but hasn't hat always been the case for those that don't like FSX, or don't like P3D, or don't like XP ... why is MSFS getting "protected"? FSX, P3D, XP have all had to endure going thru the "ringer" why not MSFS?

Cheers, Rob.

Country
us-california
@scruffyduck
the point made in my post is a fair observation imho, i wasn't speculating or stating a personal opinion,
rather referring to posts found right here responding to Ed's comment (i just didn't quote for less clutter),
3th day without any reply... :confused:

Third month and each month after .... no reply even on how to apply. :confused:

i think within the threads context the observation isn't completely out of place, we are here in a developers community after all aren't we?
when judging pre launch all we have to go by is whats reported, those who have access or under NDA cannot say anything,

Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
why is MSFS getting "protected"? FSX, P3D, XP have all had to endure going thru the "ringer" why not MSFS?
I don't recall any sim being "put through the ringer" here. It has happened at other online communities where the moderating is less stringent and the percentage of argumentative posters is greater. My opinion is that I'd rather read posts about the technical innards of MSFS, rather than content that either glorifies its obvious benefits or harps on any drawbacks.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The OP questions whether this is a game or a sim. All of our simulators are games in that they entertain. This primarily is a hobby. In areas where it lacks more authentic simulator characteristics, 3rd parties and Microsoft themselves will address it. Will it serve as training for actual flight? Perhaps.. We'll see in the coming months or years.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Sadly the discussion over game vs sim has been around since as long as I can recall. At the risk of generating more traffic my personal view is with Dick and I would go so far as to suggest that it is similar to the British argument (raging since the Raj) as to whether the milk goes into the cup before or after the tea. This has been known to divide the nation almost as badly as the question of cream and jam in a scone. Sorry for those not familiar with the oddness of Brits :)

PS I put the milk in after the tea and have lost several friends who believe this is sacrilege.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
A simulator or a game
Well that depends on how you use it and especially what dlc you use.
I would like to add that the life expectancy of a simulation platform is due to the commitment of addon developers and also if they have the means to do so.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hello friends,

I see that the discussions on the English forums are just as lively as on our French forums (www.pilote-virtuel.com). There are pros and cons, those who see a game, others see a simu become one, some of the unfinished business, others see a basis for the next 10 years ...
Anyway, it's one more stone to our hobby.

There is not much longer to wait and even is it a reason to squabble? After all, it's just a hobby! ... and for someone also a job ...

Last edited:
Country
argentina
The milk always after the Tea of course... uh... what are we discussing here...?
Yeah... I think it can be both things; A Simulator with options for the hardcore pilots to hook all the gadgets and cockpits they want and a friendly Flight game for the casual player to enjoy with a Gamepad. They just need to give options to everyone.

Country
us-ohio
what do you call than when developers are trying to get in touch and flat out ignored?
radio silence while others reporting different, so... what gives?
however you want to call it, the bottom line is still that,

while many active developers trying to get in touch,
its the none developers who are gaining access while attitude toward developers is very different,
more in lines of "we will think about it"... unless you have a social media following?

i think that alone speaks louder than words with regards to third party developers value in the eye of the platform developer,

Not sure what a none developer is. Think you meant NON-Developers.

As for people not being given instant satisfaction being contacted back....um.. Let's see if I can put this into terms you may understand. I am an executive chef. When the owner calls me, I need to jump and reply instantly. That is...unless I am 30 minutes from dinner. At that point, I don't care if it's GOD calling me....I will NOT be responding or returning a call until after the dinner rush. PERIOD. I would venture to guess that the people at MS may be a bit busy at the moment. They have a release date of 5 days away and they just went into beta 2 weeks ago!!!!! I could, however, be 100% wrong. But I bet I am not. FACT: They are busy!

And as far as I have seen from the big devs that we all know and love...MS is working with them no problem. So what if they have a quality control aspect added into people wanting to use THEIR store to sell products. Apple did the same until they decided to let anyone make crap and put it out. I don't know the devs you are talking about not getting responses...but if MS isn't busy (yeah right) maybe those devs just don't have what it takes. And from what I have heard a few of the big YouTubers say about 3rd party...I don't see anything that states you MUST go through the MS store to share your products. Again, could be wrong, but I am guessing I can come to your website, download your repaint, scenery, aircraft, etc...and load it in just fine.

Or maybe not.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.