• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS9 airport in FSX...problems

Country
unitedstates
I tried placing the freeware airport for FS9, called "Zvartnots Airport" into FSX, the problem is that the ICAO code for the aiport is the old "UGEE" instead of the new "UDYZ" which FSX displayed. So I edited the code of the .bgl file for the airport with the AFCAD program so that the Zvartnots for FS2004 appeared as UDYZ...

So now the problem is that the scenery is flashing in FSX...Is this because of elevation issues? Or is the default scenery coming the the 3rd party one? Is there any way to fix this?

It's a great freeware addon and I'm eager to use this addon in FSX.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I tried placing the freeware airport for FS9, called "Zvartnots Airport" into FSX, the problem is that the ICAO code for the aiport is the old "UGEE" instead of the new "UDYZ" which FSX displayed. So I edited the code of the .bgl file for the airport with the AFCAD program so that the Zvartnots for FS2004 appeared as UDYZ...

So now the problem is that the scenery is flashing in FSX...Is this because of elevation issues? Or is the default scenery coming the the 3rd party one? Is there any way to fix this?

It's a great freeware addon and I'm eager to use this addon in FSX.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Can you explain more about 'flashing' do you mean the textures such as runways and aprons or the ground textures around the airport. Generally if you are moving an airport from FS9 to FSX you would open it in an FSX airport editor (rather than AFCAD) and work on any changes from there. Re-compiling it using the FSX compiler might also help.

Country
unitedstates
Can you explain more about 'flashing' do you mean the textures such as runways and aprons or the ground textures around the airport. Generally if you are moving an airport from FS9 to FSX you would open it in an FSX airport editor (rather than AFCAD) and work on any changes from there. Re-compiling it using the FSX compiler might also help.

Flashing on the runways and on the taxiways etc. The flashing is focused on the airport itself, there's almost no flashing on the outisde of the airport.

Country
unitedstates

One more quick question, if you were to remove objects such as trees that overlap the airport...what program would you use?

I'm a complete noob at this, sorry :eek:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
One more quick question, if you were to remove objects such as trees that overlap the airport...what program would you use?

I'm a complete noob at this, sorry :eek:

Removing Trees etc in FSX is different than in FS9. In FS9 you could use an exclusion rectangle. In FSX you would need a terrain exclusion. There a several tools you might use. FSX KML and SBuilderX would do the job but you would need another tool to work on the airport. Both are freeware

You will need to have the deLuxe Edition of FSX (provides the SDK) to use these.

Airport Design Editor (ADE) will do both. you can create exclusions that will remove trees etc and also make modifications to the airport. If you prefer separate tools then there are two other airport design tools (do the same job AFCAD does for FS9) One is AFX from Flight1 and that is payware but does not need the deLuxe Edition of FSX to work. The other one is FSX Planner. This (like ADE) is freeware and needs the deLuxe Version. You can get support for FSX KML, FSX Planner and ADE from this site.

Country
unitedstates
Removing Trees etc in FSX is different than in FS9. In FS9 you could use an exclusion rectangle. In FSX you would need a terrain exclusion. There a several tools you might use. FSX KML and SBuilderX would do the job but you would need another tool to work on the airport. Both are freeware

You will need to have the deLuxe Edition of FSX (provides the SDK) to use these.

Airport Design Editor (ADE) will do both. you can create exclusions that will remove trees etc and also make modifications to the airport. If you prefer separate tools then there are two other airport design tools (do the same job AFCAD does for FS9) One is AFX from Flight1 and that is payware but does not need the deLuxe Edition of FSX to work. The other one is FSX Planner. This (like ADE) is freeware and needs the deLuxe Version. You can get support for FSX KML, FSX Planner and ADE from this site.

I see, I got FSX Deluxe, I just reinstalled FSX so that I could get working on this. I'll work on this and post back more questions...I'll use ADE for both the bleeding and the trees.

I'll post back if I have any questions.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates

I tried the program and for me it was too complicated. From the FS2004 version, I edited the airport for the addon to have the code "UDYZ". This worked in FSX, but almost the whole airport flashed. I asked a question on the avsim forums for help with getting this airport in FSX, and someone helped me out with it but he also got flashing in the scenery.

The .bgl file is the one I did with the FS9 ADE.

The other file is the one that this man did for me.

1.) Which fix should I use (Mine or his)?
2.) From these two files can someone do the fix for the flashing? I don't have the time or patience to even do anything because of busy school work :(.

This is what Scott did for combining the two airports:

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=244637&st=0&p=1546745&#entry1546745

Attachments

• AF2_UGEE.bgl
    13.3 KB · Views: 705
  • UGEE_Zvartnots_fix_for_FSX.zip
    10.7 KB · Views: 495

GHD

Country
england
Open the default UDYZ in ADE and delete everything including runways, taxiways, aprons etc. Compile and save to the same folder as your UGEE bgl.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Open the default UDYZ in ADE and delete everything including runways, taxiways, aprons etc. Compile and save to the same folder as your UGEE bgl.

But the problem is that I think Scott did that in my above post (int the attached files)...and I think that gave him the flashing/bleeding through.

GHD

Country
england
But the problem is that I think Scott did that in my above post (int the attached files)...and I think that gave him the flashing/bleeding through.

I don't think so. What he did was to convert your FS9 file to FSX format and call it UDYZ_ADE_SWS.BGL.

You will see flashing textures if you have both this file and AF2_UGEE.bgl in an active scenery area.

Country
unitedstates
I don't think so. What he did was to convert your FS9 file to FSX format and call it UDYZ_ADE_SWS.BGL.

You will see flashing textures if you have both this file and AF2_UGEE.bgl in an active scenery area.

So using the Exclusion in ADE as you describe would work?

Country
unitedstates

If that is a solution, could you do that for me? I have no clue how to get it done, I fail miserably at ADE.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If that is a solution, could you do that for me? I have no clue how to get it done, I fail miserably at ADE.

It seems to me that you are expecting others to fix something for you when you do not have the patience to learn to do it for yourself.

Country
unitedstates
It seems to me that you are expecting others to fix something for you when you do not have the patience to learn to do it for yourself.

As I stated above...I've tried this before and it doesnt work on my comp...and I already said I don't have the patience to sit down and learn because I have schoolwork....and because I'm gonna be forced to install a program which I'm not going to need after this problem (even though I did).

And I dunno why you're taking a negative tone with me either:confused:...

I just was asking if someone could do this for me because apparently I dont have the time to sit down and learn it, it's not like I'm asking you to jump off a cliff...!?!

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates

Does your tutorial for exclude for FS2004 apply the same for FSX? Are the steps exactly the same or are there any differences?

Country
australia
Hi Armowings,
I've viewed with interest the conversation going on here, and am rapidly coming to the conclusion that there is a basic incompatibility between FS9 and FSX sceneries that no-one (here at least) has been able to find the key to overcoming.
I understand your frustration, but I really don't think that the current state of knowledge on this topic is going to lead you to a satisfactory outcome.

Having said that, I believe that we would all be interested in a positive outcome, as much work went into the development of a lot of that FS9 scenery, and it is apparently lost at this point in time.

My best advice to you is that you should keep looking for the solution, and when you have identified how to use the older product with the newer engine, to come back here and tell us all how to do it.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Armowings,
I've viewed with interest the conversation going on here, and am rapidly coming to the conclusion that there is a basic incompatibility between FS9 and FSX sceneries that no-one (here at least) has been able to find the key to overcoming.
I understand your frustration, but I really don't think that the current state of knowledge on this topic is going to lead you to a satisfactory outcome.

Having said that, I believe that we would all be interested in a positive outcome, as much work went into the development of a lot of that FS9 scenery, and it is apparently lost at this point in time.

My best advice to you is that you should keep looking for the solution, and when you have identified how to use the older product with the newer engine, to come back here and tell us all how to do it.

I appreciate you response. I'm not frustrated at all...I ask a question and I specifically said that I don't have much time to do anything myself and I get blasted by scruffyduck for "begging"...anyways thanks for the response. I need to put a little bit more thought into this porblem. I again thank you for the kind reply.

Country
us-hawaii
Hi,

I'm the one who worked on that scenery (BTW, after I sent the ADE file I realized I forgot to update the ATIS Comm from UGEE which I have in an update here).

For the others not familiar with this airport, what the original author did was to use his own textures for runways, taxiways, and aprons. He then placed these textures using SCASM command DrawTriList in which you assign vertices (typically set to relative to ground level with y set to 0 in a VertexList command) to bitmap pixels u/v. The idea is to place a texture "on the ground". The problem is that FS9 and FSX want to also place runways, taxiways, and aprons "on the ground" using the BGLComp commands as well. The intent of the author is that his custom ground textures would "cover up" the bglcomp textures. Here is my understanding: When FS9 and FSX compose the view for display the renderer has to determine what objects are " in front" of others, so that they are drawn and the ones "behind" are hidden. From what I have seen FS9/FSX often get confused with these ground-level textures and it is difficult to get the sim to treat the texture as "in front of" the default textures. (The subtlety here is that the scenery is created with one texture "higher" than another, but the renderer has to compute the "in front of" relationship, aka z-order. That isn't hard when your view is looking down from above the airport, but when you are low to the ground, the view angle is very small relative to the ground so computing the "in front of" relation is not easy.)

What I experimented with was adjusting the Flatten elevation relative to the runway and airport elevations, to try to force FSX to see the desired texture as "above" the default ones, but that didn't work. The next step would be to try adjusting the vertex x,y,z values (really, just the "y"s) and reassembling his scenery files but I did not attempt this due to
a. I have no way to do this other than in a text editor so it would be constant experimentation and
b. I don't really like reassembling someone's else's scenery, except maybe for my private use.

Anyway, attached is the ADE zip with the ATIS comm fixed.

scott s.

Attachments

• Updated UDYZ ADE file.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 409
Country
unitedstates
Hi,

I'm the one who worked on that scenery (BTW, after I sent the ADE file I realized I forgot to update the ATIS Comm from UGEE which I have in an update here).

For the others not familiar with this airport, what the original author did was to use his own textures for runways, taxiways, and aprons. He then placed these textures using SCASM command DrawTriList in which you assign vertices (typically set to relative to ground level with y set to 0 in a VertexList command) to bitmap pixels u/v. The idea is to place a texture "on the ground". The problem is that FS9 and FSX want to also place runways, taxiways, and aprons "on the ground" using the BGLComp commands as well. The intent of the author is that his custom ground textures would "cover up" the bglcomp textures. Here is my understanding: When FS9 and FSX compose the view for display the renderer has to determine what objects are " in front" of others, so that they are drawn and the ones "behind" are hidden. From what I have seen FS9/FSX often get confused with these ground-level textures and it is difficult to get the sim to treat the texture as "in front of" the default textures. (The subtlety here is that the scenery is created with one texture "higher" than another, but the renderer has to compute the "in front of" relationship, aka z-order. That isn't hard when your view is looking down from above the airport, but when you are low to the ground, the view angle is very small relative to the ground so computing the "in front of" relation is not easy.)

What I experimented with was adjusting the Flatten elevation relative to the runway and airport elevations, to try to force FSX to see the desired texture as "above" the default ones, but that didn't work. The next step would be to try adjusting the vertex x,y,z values (really, just the "y"s) and reassembling his scenery files but I did not attempt this due to
a. I have no way to do this other than in a text editor so it would be constant experimentation and
b. I don't really like reassembling someone's else's scenery, except maybe for my private use.

Anyway, attached is the ADE zip with the ATIS comm fixed.

scott s.

Thanks for the fix (again)! I will test this out tom.!

Wanted to add again for looking into this problem more ;)

Last edited: