FS9 imports not recognizing tick18 animations

Hi,
I must be missing something in my MCX setup. When I import an FS9 aircraft with tick18 animations the animations are not recognized and are flagged as "unknown" If I try to assign the animation to Ambient nothing happens (ie the animation gets lost during export).

Not sure if it is related but I get a lot of errors like
SCASMReader Unsupported command SetVar in line xxxxxx
SCASMReader Failed to find animation name for: global_0

Thanks
Gavin

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Do you have an example file with this problem? Sounds like you found a bug.

Hi Arno,
Try this model. The pilots heads are animated in FS9 but not when I import the model into MCX.
Set custom_anim_LIGHT_NAV_01 to 1 to activate the pilot.
I am using V 1.4.0.0 88e995ff DEV 2019-07-13

Thanks
Gavin

Attachments

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Would you have a more simple model as well that shows this issue? This model is too complex to analyse all BGL commands in there and find out why the animation is skipped.

I don't know if you made the model yourself, if so, maybe you can export just a part that has the animation?

Hi, sorry having trouble with FSDS - when I try to set it to compile FS9 models instead of FSX it is crashing out on me. I was hoping to make a simple spinning cube using tick18 for you but since FSDS isn't co-operating I'm stuck until I get it sorted.

Gavin

tgibson

Resource contributor
I would first try Arno's suggestion - remove all parts but the Tick18 part from your current aircraft (Hierarchy Editor), create an MDL file, and send that?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
That won't help Tom, the issue is the tick18 is not recognized in the original file. If you let MCX export the model it will not have that tick18 animation.

Finally re-installed FSDS and now can create FS9 objects.
Attached is a simple FS9 model of a tube that flips 90 degrees and then back using a tick18 animation. When I import it into MCX the animation isn't recognized.

The zip file contains the model file and the MCX log in case that helps.

thanks
Gavin

Attachments

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Thanks Gavin, this should make the debugging a lot easier. I'll have a look.

Hi Arno,
I know you are very busy but I was wondering if you had had a chance to look at this issue at all? If so does it look like
a) easy
b) going to take a while
c) not worth the time it will take to fix.

thanks
Gavin

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I had a quick look, but need to dive deeper in the structure to understand. Unfortunately time is limited and the list of issues always longer. I'll try to have another look in the next days.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I just had another look at the file. For some reason the animation keys are not read correctly, I think this is because the header of the animation is not read correctly.

Would you still have information about how many keys you put in this test model? Or maybe even the MakeMDL ASM code for comparison?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I did have a FS2004 scenery MDL with animations in my test suite of objects. What I did is export that one to a FS2004 aircraft MDL file. In that case I also see that the animations are not read. Since I kept the MakeMDL ASM files for both exports, I can compare them now. Hopefully that gives some clues.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I think I have found the bug, a new development release with the fix will be online soon. Let me know if it solves your issue.

That is what I call service :)

I just did a quick test and imported one of the FS9 AI models with tick18 animated pilot heads. MCX still produced the
SCASMReader Unsupported command SetVar in line xxxxxx
SCASMReader Failed to find animation name for: global_0
errors so they obviously weren't part of the original issue.

The tick18 animation is now detected and I can see the animation in MCX. When I go into Animation Editor the animations are listed as "unknown". I assigned them Ambient and exported into FSX format. Pulled it back into MCX and the Ambient animation is there. I haven't had time to thoroughly test it and test the model in the sim but it looks like you have fixed it.

Thanks so much.

Gavin

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Those warnings have nothing to do with the issue indeed. I have just improved the reading of the animation names a bit more, it will not be unknown anymore now, but it is usrvar2 (you would still have to manually change it to Ambient to work in FSX).

Brilliant Arno,
Thanks again. I tested the FSX conversion in the sim and the tick18 animation works fine once converted to Ambient.

Gavin