• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS9 or FSX - which platform do you support?

Which FS do you support?

• FS9 only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FSX only

• FS9 and FSX

• FS9 with plan to switch to FSX soon

• Total voters
Country
puertorico
Totally makes NO sense to go lower and get increase...when higher 'SHOULD' by logic give an increase.

Thanks!!!!!

- Greg

If you've been dealing with Flight Simulator for more than two versions, you should know that bringing logic into the discussions is futile!

Country
us-ohio
If you've been dealing with Flight Simulator for more than two versions, you should know that bringing logic into the discussions is futile!

I was sleep deprived when I wrote that.. LOL I been using since way back..when it was just a couple lines and noise...hehe

Country
unitedstates
Nobody can run FSX with all sliders to the right and get over 30 fps. Im betting my life will on that. You would need a cpu core running at 1 terrahertz for no stutters....the problem...fsx is a cpu hog...on my expensive system...the cpu fan rpm shoots up through the roof while my nvidia card is just there asking...come dude, when are you going to give me some work to do?

FSX is about 6 years ahead of its time...its hard to find a system that can run it the way it was meant to be experienced...not with hacks, degraded textures or dull scenery.

fsx is nice but it taxes system resources way too much. its like running a top.fuel dragster with your every day car engine, its notoriously slow.

typos=smartphone, sorry!

Country
us-oregon
More and more, i find myself developing for cross platform between FSX and P3D. I love the diversity and culture of the fsx community, but LMs constant development work on P3D makes it a wonderful place to explore and develop for as well.
As for appearance??
P3D beats anything ive seen hands down withoput a framerate loss on my somewhat antiquated core 2 quad..

2012-2-17_14-43-37-12.jpg

even better yet, is replacing the fsx scenery files with the P3D scenery files ( they are directly equivalent )

2011-12-14_5-52-1-32.jpg

Country
unitedstates
how much is p3d, $500? if its as great as you say it is, then it may be worth it. ill have to purchase it some time and give it a go...just need to allocate a savings budget for it...exploration isnt exciting without taking a risk...that is were most fail.

Country
us-oregon
how much is p3d, $500? if its as great as you say it is, then it may be worth it. ill have to purchase it some time and give it a go...just need to allocate a savings budget for it...exploration isnt exciting without taking a risk...that is were most fail.

basically, its ten dollars a month for two licenses.. It directly supports DX10, but, fs9 aircraft ive ported over too it, have run perfectly without any bad graphics. The next version update will also support DX11. Plus, the ESP SDK supports a wider range of capabilities than FSX, but i'm not exactly sure "how" much wider.. Shader 3.0 is also directly supported and used throughout as you can see above..

Last edited:
Country
panama
I like FSX very much. I am lucky since I fly in the bush 99% of the time, large cities which get it down to 10 fps are not my cup of soup so I do not miss them at all. I have everything maxed except for AI traffic which I use at 65%, airport mobiles at 85% and boats at 90%....if you max car at 100% it looks crazy totally unreal....I usually get from 25 to 65 fps all over the planet but as mysterious as FSX can be it sometimes crawls to 10 or 8, why?, I don´t know...I just quit then or if am really having a ball, do a re-start while having a cold beer and everything is well again....I import FS9 aircraft all the time and do some surgery on them if needed be, have you guys flown the new Loire 130? that appeared last week?? she is nice and odd looking. I loved FS9 too but after a year having both, FSX won the day and all my FS9 stuff now rest in a hard disk by my side....The Locheed babe is still with me and even though I thing its expensive I keep dishing out the 9.95 bookaroos a month, its´s important to support those that carter to our needs and desires......Yes, I had my pc custom built but it´s worth it....my latest project was placing a separate monitor for the instruments and my cockpit was born!!! mamma mia what a difference!!!! I will never go back to on monitor cockpits!!!!, nor will I ever fly again with desk full of stuff!!!...once you sit in your cockpit everything shines like new!!!..sound goes to about 1000%, wow!!! and the sky and world turn into something else, and you enjoy your instruments more too...love it. (see pic, I think it looks like a 1934 Caproni 101!!)...is this not the most beautiful hobby??..NO!!!..making scratchbuilt solid wood scale model airplanes is... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Caproni 101...:D:D

003A.jpg

There is an easy way to place the model 2D instruments in a separate monitor, here you see a Carenado 2d panel...

009A.jpg

FSX maxed....
poster-4.jpg

CERCADEDOSRIOSNIEBLA.jpg

Country
us-oregon
its an online thing? bah.

No, its not online. ::chuckles:: youd have better luck pulling your own teeth with a toothpick and a string than you would getting me online.
P3D is a lot of things. First, its at its base, FSX. In fact, if your running FSX and you try to start P3D, P3D will complain that another LM product is running. Secondly, its FSX on Steroids. Its Faster, has better performance, and makes use of pieces of your hardware that FSX never even recognized was there, such as the shader engine, in which case, FSX takes great delight in telling me that my card isnt capable of using shaders ( its a GTX-260 ) while P3D simply uses it. Third, its the biggest and most blatantly open legal loophole i have ever seen. On The P3D website, LM comes straight out and explains that P3D is NOT a game. Ergo its 500 dollar price tag. However they go on to explain That they will sell a developer subscription to "anyone" who calls themselves a developer for a subscription price of ten bucks a month. technical support is extremely professional ( heh. its Lockheed ) and they are extremely serious about treating you ( and me ) as the developer we claimed to be when we purchased the subscription. Subscriptions are handled through Paypal as well as credit so theres no online store to have to go through ( Unlike Steam, and MS Flight ).
Ive bought two subscriptions myself. One for me, and one for my partner in England. We've already moved two projects over to the P3D platform for cross development with FSX, Like that P-61 up there. Outside of the UI, so far, its seamless. P3D also supports more versions of 3DS Max, and other 3D software that wasnt and isnt currently supported are also being added to the SDK.
Sooo, basically, on one hand, LM has lived up to its promise to Microsoft by selling a professional version of the software for 500 dollars, whilst turning right around to the ten year old standing there and saying "Hey kid.. Psst. your a developer right.. Just say you are ok? " and offering the exact same package on a subscription basis for ten bucks a month.
P3D supports up to 11 monitors, supports networked multi-sessions to some level i am not sure of because i dont go online, and is constantly being upgraded while maintaining its backwards compatibility with everything FSX.
I admit, Outerra, Looks really good and once that reaches a realistically useable state of development i plan on working in that as well, But, As it sits right now, P3D provides a path forward that utilizes your full investment in FSX and FS9 with almost zero loss. And No, I do not work for Lockheed Martin or any of its associates in case anyone was wondering.
Pam

Country
us-oregon
I like FSX very much. I am lucky since I fly in the bush 99% of the time, large cities which get it down to 10 fps are not my cup of soup so I do not miss them at all. I have everything maxed except for AI traffic which I use at 65%, airport mobiles at 85% and boats at 90%....if you max car at 100% it looks crazy totally unreal....I usually get from 25 to 65 fps all over the planet but as mysterious as FSX can be it sometimes crawls to 10 or 8, why?, I don´t know...I just quit then or if am really having a ball, do a re-start while having a cold beer and everything is well again....I import FS9 aircraft all the time and do some surgery on them if needed be, have you guys flown the new Loire 130? that appeared last week?? she is nice and odd looking. I loved FS9 too but after a year having both, FSX won the day and all my FS9 stuff now rest in a hard disk by my side....The Locheed babe is still with me and even though I thing its expensive I keep dishing out the 9.95 bookaroos a month, its´s important to support those that carter to our needs and desires......Yes, I had my pc custom built but it´s worth it....my latest project was placing a separate monitor for the instruments and my cockpit was born!!! mamma mia what a difference!!!! I will never go back to on monitor cockpits!!!!, nor will I ever fly again with desk full of stuff!!!...once you sit in your cockpit everything shines like new!!!..sound goes to about 1000%, wow!!! and the sky and world turn into something else, and you enjoy your instruments more too...love it. (see pic, I think it looks like a 1934 Caproni 101!!)...is this not the most beautiful hobby??..NO!!!..making scratchbuilt solid wood scale model airplanes is... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Caproni 101...:D:D

003A.jpg

There is an easy way to place the model 2D instruments in a separate monitor, here you see a Carenado 2d panel...

009A.jpg

FSX maxed....
poster-4.jpg

CERCADEDOSRIOSNIEBLA.jpg

heh heh.. no argument from me on scratchbuilts.. but please allow me to draw a direct comparison to fsx ( beautiful pics btw)
my system is a Dual Core quad Q-6600 with 8 gigs of ram and a GTX-260. not exactly top of the line. But all scenery sliders were placed to their maximum settings. frame rates, especially over seattle, werent the best. I was getting approx 10 frames there, however, in FSX i wouldnt have gotten 3 frames. Textures are completely default, although i am using Real Environment extreme to generate the weather ( and its very difficult typing with a 25 pound cat on your lap as well as the keyboard). Hope you enjoy the comparison..
Pam

PS. I apologize for the size of the images. Afraid i'm still having to get accustomed to how they're displayed here..

2012-3-5_11-39-25-543.jpg

2012-3-5_11-53-59-203.jpg

2012-3-5_12-13-55-929.jpg

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
I still use FS9 as my primary right now even though my system runs FSX with tweaking (<-- Rolls Eyes) easily, however I am overhauling my system within the next 6-8 months with the latest AMD FX processor, another GTX 560Ti GPU and 16GB of DDR 1600 RAM (I know 16GB is overkill but its cheap and its made by G.Skill). With my new system specs and again a little tweaking and a CPU force program FSX will run like a dream and look "as real as it gets".

FS9 with the right addons (Payware and Freeware), and tweaking can look as good as FSX. FS9 still has 1-2 more years left in it before its popularity dwindles fast, and FS9 is a legend of a game, not many games that are near and soon to be a decade old are still widely supported by the community and are regularly played.

Both are obsolete and I only fire up then and when FSX with Wine on Linux.
Better to develop addons for Flightgear or X-Plane.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I'll say FSX, although I've been working with a much more obsolete sim than that - CFS3. At least there are still payware sales to be made in FSX and still in FS9 (eh, Bill!). I don't build payware, so it's of little concern to me.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
My scenery sold in Simmarket indicated that only 20% was in FS9 version 80% was in FSX version.

I decide to support only FSX. Doing both versions is not easy and time consumming too. Especially if you do FSX and something is incompatible such as lines and terrain in S-builder. It can be exported but it still need time to convert to the right thing for FS9. Vice versa, FS9 to FSX is almost completely make all over again in S-builder.