• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX FSDS -3.5.1 - MCX recognises Lod models in .fsc file but not in .MDL

Country
australia
I'm a bit confused. MCX recognises my AI lod models made in FSDS 3.5.1 via .fsc file but when compiled via XtoMDL, only the main model shows up. (same in FSXa)
Also, MCX shows the animations are out of place in the .fsc file but the MDL file shows animations working perfectly.
I tried adding the lod models via MCX but the animations, prop materials and some parts of the airframe moved positions.
I'm uncertain how to make my Lod models compile with the main model using XtoMDL, I've tried everything that comes to mind but I must be doing something wrong.
I tag all models _Lod_400 _Lod_ 100 etc etc.

Is there a manual way to compile the Lod models together via the .X files with XtoMDL ?
1.PNG

Back when I was making models in FS2004 using makeMDL, I was able to manually compile the Lod models .X files but XtoMDL doesn't seem to work the same way. XtoMDL grabs the main model and its animation file and just makes that, ignoring the rest of the files. If you have an easy way to compile lod models to MDL, I'd love learn it.
regards Sophie
2.PNG

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Can't really help with the part of the question how to compile the LOD from FSDS, it's ages ago that I have used FSDS myself :)

A part name suffix with LOD_xxx should normally be enough to make them working. If that is part of the part name, XtoMDL will make the MDL. Since the MDL shows no LOD (either in MCX or FS), the information must really not be in the MDL file.

XtoMDL works from one X file, I'm not aware of ways to combine different files that each contain a LOD.

The FSDS animation support in MCX is indeed a bit limited. I never fully got my head around the way they are stored in the FSC file. For most scenery object it works to read them, but complex aircraft will not work indeed.

Country
australia
Thanks Arno. It took me a while to work it out but I finally managed to get my lod models into MCX using the MDL files where animations existed and .x files for the very low end lods where no animations exist. All working ok in FSXa.

Now if I can just get my head around the attach points for landing and taxi lights. I've had a few goes at it but I really don't know what I'm doing with it. Any chance of a quick
video ? There is nothing better than monkey see - monkey do... haha
Sophie

111.PNG

ss2.jpg