• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSDS 3.5 says failed to create BGL file.

Country
denmark
I just don't get it.

FSDS 3.5 says failed to create BGL file. Why?.

I have downloaded and installed the required files for it as provided by Abacus and the FSX deluxe CD 1.

This realy is not a good timing.
I am using xtomdl.exe and bglcomp for FSX.

If I use the fs9 sdk for FSDS 3.5 it says this:

Running model

Start! (_temp.x)
Loading X _temp.x...
ERROR: Invalid X file: _temp.x.
Error!
Error!

Help anyone, please !!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

The log says as follows:

OutputFile: _temp.MDL
Output file after modification: _temp.MDL
Creating output MDL file: _temp.MDL
CRASHTREE no granularity specified
CRASHTREE completed in 00:00:00.0136710
Usage: XToMDL.exe /KEEP /NOGUI /BATCH /NOCRASH /BMP2DDS /XMLSAMPLE /XANIM /DICT:DictFileName /OUT:OutfileName Filename.X

If I use the fs9 sdk for FSDS 3.5 it says this:

Running model

Start! (_temp.x)
Loading X _temp.x...
ERROR: Invalid X file: _temp.x.
Error!
Error!

Anyone else having this problem?
If I have done anything wrong it is because of the install guide.
I have located all required files and I know it is the correct files.

Is there any updates for xtomdl or other files?

Could there be a problem with the free upgrade?

Last edited:
Country
denmark
Is there any way to make the bgl file with FSDS 3.0 and then convert it into a true FSX model?

If yes, how is this done?
I am almost giving up on using FSDS 3.5 as there is nothing but problems using it, unless there is some way to fix it.

Country
malta
If you read the post entitled "FSDSv3.5 available now" you will see a work around.
Create an x file then manually compile it to mdl using Makemdl. If necessary copy the Mkmdl to your projects folder. Just drop the file onto Makemdl. Choose Scenery instead of Aircraft and it will produce the mdl you require.
FSDS v3.5 is geared towards FSX not FS9 I think.

Country
us-california
You may set up the paths at the front of FSDSv3.5 to do the follwing:

1- Compile with Makemdl into FS2004

2- Compile with Makemdl into FSX (If you do this, texture everything or you will have black parts.)

3- Compile with Xtomdl into FSX.

I have tested all these options as part of the beta test routines with both aircraft and scenery .mdls and the test objects always compiled and showed correctly in FS2004 or FSX as the case may be.

Cheers, Paul

Country
malta
Hi, Sorry I cannot answer that I as work with FS9 only.
Have you tried compiling an object to FSX?
If so, what was the result?
Post the error/output for FSX as you did with FS9 above.

Country
brazil
I just don't get it.
FSDS 3.5 says failed to create BGL file. Why?.
I have downloaded and installed the required files for it as provided by Abacus and the FSX deluxe CD 1.
This realy is not a good timing.
I am using xtomdl.exe and bglcomp for FSX.

I'm having exactly the same problem :confused: , and Abacus support hasn't answered my message so far :( .

Country
puertorico
Can someone upload an object with problems? I can't recreate the problem.

With my preferences for FS-X compiling with xtomdl.exe

I just processed the sample oil rig and produced a bgl file (selecting the make scenery file./bgl) and by creating a scenery model file that I then processed directly with BGLComp.

I did note that making in making the mdl file, the resulting placement xml file does end with:
<ModelData sourceFile="_temp.mdl" /> which I had to change to my mdl file's name to get it to process manually with bglcomp.

Country
netherlands
Can someone upload an object with problems? I can't recreate the problem.

With my preferences for FS-X compiling with xtomdl.exe

I just processed the sample oil rig and produced a bgl file (selecting the make scenery file./bgl) and by creating a scenery model file that I then processed directly with BGLComp.

I did note that making in making the mdl file, the resulting placement xml file does end with:
<ModelData sourceFile="_temp.mdl" /> which I had to change to my mdl file's name to get it to process manually with bglcomp.

hi Felix,
Here just an example that didn't work.
regards
Bert

Last edited:
Country
puertorico
Hopefully, I've managed to attach the zip file containing the mdl and xml placement files as compiled by FSDS3.5 and the processed bgl file, along with a screenshot of the object which was placed at the location specified in the FSDS project properties.

I have not done anything to the source file.

Attachments

• fsdeve_scene2.jpg
    fsdeve_scene2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 709
  • xNummer6_pl.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 610
Country
netherlands
Hopefully, I've managed to attach the zip file containing the mdl and xml placement files as compiled by FSDS3.5 and the processed bgl file, along with a screenshot of the object which was placed at the location specified in the FSDS project properties.

I have not done anything to the source file.

hi Felix,
Thanks for trying it!
And you have succeeded...
I'll give it another shot the way you managed it.

Country
netherlands
Still failures

hi Felix,
Can you please check the prefs in my uploaded image?
I got still the same failure...
In another thread i read that Abacus had produced an update 3.51:confused:
Thanks again!
Bert

Last edited:
Country
puertorico
I point my xtomdl to the gmax gamepack, rather than the Max plugins. Although I do not see the difference.

Although I received the 3.51 exe file, I've not yet used it.

I know it sounds dumb, but the main reason my scenery objects were not showing up (including your file) was that I had not refreshed my scenery library settings - I "re-added" the add-on scenery area and lo and behold, it appeared.

Country
netherlands
I point my xtomdl to the gmax gamepack, rather than the Max plugins. Although I do not see the difference.

Although I received the 3.51 exe file, I've not yet used it.

I know it sounds dumb, but the main reason my scenery objects were not showing up (including your file) was that I had not refreshed my scenery library settings - I "re-added" the add-on scenery area and lo and behold, it appeared.

In my case it was the regional setting of winXP that caused the compile problem. So i changed the comma with a dot and it works now.
But not that nice ofcourse; so i asked the developer Louis Sinclair/Abacus to change this if possible.
The coming v3.51 should only be cahnged for the FS9 version...Abacus said.!
regards
Bert

Country
puertorico
In my case it was the regional setting of winXP that caused the compile problem. So i changed the comma with a dot and it works now.
But not that nice ofcourse; so i asked the developer Louis Sinclair/Abacus to change this if possible.
regards
Bert

That's not and FSDS issue - it's an SDK issue, from what I understand. gmaxers have had this problem as well.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
regards
Bert

Bert, Louis just wrote to me this morning to inquire about this issue. The "problem" is the way that ACES has written the compilers for FS9 and FSX (MakeMDL.exe and XtoMDL.exe).

They simply will not recognize the "," (comma) as a valid decimal separator...

It's been this way for years and I wouldn't hold my breath expecting MS/ACES to "fix it."

Country
us-arkansas
Just spent some time on the Abacus web site but saw no mention fo the 3.51 update for FSDS.

Anyone have a link??

Thnx in advance,
Larry

Country
puertorico
Just spent some time on the Abacus web site but saw no mention fo the 3.51 update for FSDS.

Anyone have a link??

Thnx in advance,
Larry

It's not out yet.

Qverall, it doesn't "look" different, but it will have a few "nicies".