• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSDS To RWY12 and other things

Country
ca-ontario
Hi
I am a total newbie to this but I am having a hell of a time trying to get scenery objects from fsds into rwy12 for placement, in theory I think it should be possible. Does anyone else use this method? I can get Gmax objects into rwy12 no problem, but fsds mdl's won't work for me in rwy12, am I missing something?

I've got a ton of questions that I am doing my best to figure out. Is Arno's object placer compatible with fsds2 mdl's? Why does fsds mdl export only have aircraft mdl's as an option and does it matter if you are trying to create scenery objects rather than aircraft? Is it possible to start a project with fsds2 and import it to Gmax?

Is Fssc compatible with fs9?

As a newbie I find fsds easier to use than Gmax, (I think Gmax would take a year to learn how to use well!!)
I am not being lazy in asking these questions, I have studied tutorials to death and can't quite get the hang of this that easily. After a frustrating week I thought I would ask for help. (although I have learned alot.)

One more question, in Fsds in point mode you can easily sellect and distort shapes by moving the points, how do you do this in Gmax?

Thanks for reading and any pointers you can pass on.
:confused:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

minula said:
I've got a ton of questions that I am doing my best to figure out. Is Arno's object placer compatible with fsds2 mdl's? Why does fsds mdl export only have aircraft mdl's as an option and does it matter if you are trying to create scenery objects rather than aircraft? Is it possible to start a project with fsds2 and import it to Gmax?

You already answer your question here. FSDS2 can only export as aircraft MDL, it is not able to export as Fs2004 scenery MDL. FSDS2 has not (yet?) been updated to the Fs2004 formats. So you can not place FSDS2 objects with Rwy12, as they are not in the correct format.

There is a DXF exporter for FSDS2, you can then import these DXF files into GMax. After remapping the textures, you can export as a scenery MDL from GMax.

minula said:
Is Fssc compatible with fs9?

The scenery created with FSSC works in Fs2004, due to the backwards compatibility, but FSSC is not able to create scenery using the Fs2004 XML comands.

minula said:
One more question, in Fsds in point mode you can easily sellect and distort shapes by moving the points, how do you do this in Gmax?

If you have converted your object to "Editable mesh" or "Editable polygon", you can select Vertex mode and move every vertex as you want.

Country
ca-ontario
Ahh!

Thanks Arno
You saved me a few grey hairs! I D/L the CVA converter and that works fine to get the dxf into gmax. :)

I know most of my questions will seem simple to you so thanks for your help.

David

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
arno said:
You already answer your question here. FSDS2 can only export as aircraft MDL, it is not able to export as Fs2004 scenery MDL. FSDS2 has not (yet?) been updated to the Fs2004 formats. So you can not place FSDS2 objects with Rwy12, as they are not in the correct format
Hi Arno

Is your above statement still true? Someone told me that FSDS 2.4 will export
and object to an XML file.

Thanks
CK

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

CanadaKen said:
Is your above statement still true? Someone told me that FSDS 2.4 will export and object to an XML file.

Yes, the latest version of FSDS2 is indeed able to export an XML file, but that file "just" contains the object in an XML definition. But that is not the same as the XML format used by BGLComp to place objects (and you would need a MDL object as well).

You will have to wait for FSDS3 for these features.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
arno said:
But that is not the same as the XML format used by BGLComp to place objects (and you would need a MDL object as well).

You will have to wait for FSDS3 for these features.
I understand now, thanks Arno.

CK