• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSW SDK

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
just read the FSW message about the SDK:

"Some of you have expressed concern that add-on content is taking the focus away from the development of the core sim, however this is not the case. These add-ons are handled by our Third Party team, who are solely focused on bringing the best and brightest developers into the world of FSW. Meanwhile, most of our development team are hard at work developing the SDK, which we expect to release before the end of this year.

- the FSW Team
"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/389280/discussions/0/1483235412196810063/

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
We are proud to carry that ethos to our new platform, Flight Sim World. Ethos, noun, the characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as manifested in its beliefs and aspirations. "We are proud to carry the characteristic spirit of an addon culture to our new platform, Flight Sim World." The statement, on the face of it, looks like a promise, however the "pride" could be fulfilled, the ethos could be carried, simply by mentioning it, which has already happened. At best it is a promise with no guarantee, which leads the question as to why it would be made.

Sure, they could eventually release the SDK, at which point the promise would be fulfilled. Or they could just release the SDK when it is ready without making promises. Why would he promise to carry a spirit? It seems deceptive to me.
Some of you have expressed concern that add-on content is taking the focus away from the development of the core sim, however this is not the case.
This statement arises from the condition ACES created when they decided to deliver the entire Earth as a flight simulator and subsequently realized there were far more locations than Orly, St Marteens, JFK and Heathrow. The obvious solution was to turn it into a win by handing over the core creation tools as an "SDK," Lennonesquely empowering the people to accomplish what M$ was too lazy to do and - cha CHING, an entire new market share was born, eclipsing the original sim and most importantly, leaving M$ out in the cold. An excellent example of an eclipse, btw, is when someone pays several hundred dollars for a software airplane to use in a $30 sim, gulp. Dang right M$ gonna kill MSFS before it ever gets to FS11, POW! and good riddance. A lesson never to be repeated by real developers, if at all worldly possible which is where Flight! came from - and went.

Realistically, the "expressed concern," is weighed against the value it adds to the product and can pretty easily be fulfilled with expressed promises, leaving this reviewer unconvinced, thus far.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Scenery developers don't really need to wait for an SDK, as almost nothing will have changed. I suspect little has changed regarding aircraft either, excepting all dll-type gauges must be 64-bit. Using xml gauges still works I believe.

Developers are awaiting simconnect and (hopefully) FSUIPC. I don't think Dovetail has contacted Peter Dowson for FSUIPC. I think the SDK will be pretty much same old - same old.

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
I suspect little has changed regarding aircraft either, excepting all dll-type gauges must be 64-bit

I agree, that most likely little has changed, I just hope DTG did not close a door for C-gauges and XML customdraw. LM has been very kind with backward compatibility as V4 and x64 migration required minor changes and using new gauges.h while all new P3D features are coupled in what they call PDK.

so I hope DTG will bring old-good FSX SDK with new FSW features like famous rain drops etc.

Country
unitedstates
Developers are awaiting simconnect and (hopefully) FSUIPC. I don't think Dovetail has contacted Peter Dowson for FSUIPC. I think the SDK will be pretty much same old - same old.
Simconnect.dll is part of FSW's installation, and though they may have added new functions, you can dynamically load the previous functions and they still work (at least the 10 or so I use, haven't tested them all).

I posted a new "simconnect.h" file to do that in this thread: http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/flight-sim-world-and-sim-connect-64-bit.440109/#post-772522

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
so, FSW SDK 1.0 is out and ... is a big disappointment. No C-gauges. I tried compiling with their gauges.h and simconnect.lib

C-gauge crashes FSW before DLLStart function is called and for XML CustomDraw, the DLL gets loaded but does not work, and my C: vars are not registered.

Has anyone managed to get anything running except of pure simconnetct stuff ?

fs1

Country
brazil
FSW crashes in a Debug Environment when a breakpoint is hit. Can someone make Visual Studio to work with it?

ddawson

Resource contributor
Country
canada
Well, I got a Mickey Mouse MAKE_ICON gauge to load. I know this because I could see the tooltip string when I moved the mouse over where the gauge was loaded. The mouse cursor changed to a hand.
The gauge itself was not visible on the panel.
As I look at the code, I realize I used the GAUGE_HEADER_FS700 macro. I'll try with a new macro.