FSX(A) Repainting problem

I have been trying to figure out what the problem is and I'm lost. I hope that somebody has an idea. I have Alphasim/Virtavia's T-28 Trojan Set and have been repainting for VT-27. I had no problem doing the repainting in Adobe Photoshop using the paintkit to recreate the textures. I SAVE AS a 32bit bmp; open it up in DXTBMP; flip the image and alpha and save as a DDS DXT3 file. The "trojan_1" and the "trojan_3" textures are perfect. The "trojan_2" comes out all black in FSX. I understand that usually means the model has no texture but it DOES. I even tried using Corel Paintshop Pro but that didn't matter. ALSO, if I open up the model in MDCx ALL of the textures show as they should. I even tried to resave trojan_2.DDS with MDCx and that did not make any difference. With the original trojan_2.dds file in the texture folder and adding the new trojan_2.dds they both save not asking me if I want to replace it so something is not right but I just don't know what. I have spent 2 hours last night redoing it and redoing it and the same this afternoon. HELP PLEASE SOMEONE!!!

since writing this I experimented...I can open up the trojan_2.dds from the original VT 2 repaint supplied with the aircraft as C2 in DXTBMP, flip it and send it to the editor (Adobe Photoshop). I can take a paintbrush and paint out numbers and close it saying YES to save. It closes the editor and I can go back to DXTBMP and refresh after edit. Save it as a new Trojan_2.DDS and it will recognize that is is legitimate and overwrite the previous version. As soon as I try and enter type for code or modex it required layers. When it is saved this time it has to be saved as a PDF. Open up the PDF in Adobe Photoshop and save as a 32 bit BMP. Open up the BMP in DXTBMP, flip and save as a DDS and it has become corrupted for want of a better term. It NOW is saved as another DDS not overwriting the original. OK thats all. Who knows why?

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Install the Nvidia tools for Photoshop. With the tool you can save your PDF as a DDS directly and it will automatically flip it for you if you select that feature. It makes normal maps as well. Do a Google search and you should find it.

Thank you for the Heads Up. After a little I found what I need for my old Adobe Photoshop in their Legacy area as well as downloading the latest tools. I will install and get back here later I hope with success.

I don't know if my Photoshop is too old or what because I already HAD the Nvidia 64bit installed and I also downloaded two other plugins. The PDF says that all I have to do is SAVE AS and i will get a DDS choice in the drop down menu but I don't get any DDS to choose just all the other formats I had before I installed. I even uninstalled the old plug in and installed three new ones. None of them show in my Adobe Photoshop,

After finding the correct Nvidia plug-in...I have it installed. The good news is that yes I can upload or save DDS files just like Nvidia shows with the screen and options. The bad news is that nothing changed from above. I can do everything I want in Photoshop with trojan_2. Photoshop seems to work fine. If I make paint changes in the same decal layer and save it will open up in FSX properly in color. If I try and add type which automatically creates a NEW LAYER each time and save as a DDS all seems well but it is BLACK in FSX. Even opening up the trojan_2.dds from inside the texture folder in FSX directly into Photoshop which is really great now, its black when you add a type layer.

After finding the correct Nvidia plug-in...I have it installed. The good news is that yes I can upload or save DDS files just like Nvidia shows with the screen and options. The bad news is that nothing changed from above. I can do everything I want in Photoshop with trojan_2. Photoshop seems to work fine. If I make paint changes in the same decal layer and save it will open up in FSX properly in color. If I try and add type which automatically creates a NEW LAYER each time and save as a DDS all seems well but it is BLACK in FSX. Even opening up the trojan_2.dds from inside the texture folder in FSX directly into Photoshop which is really great now, its black when you add a type layer.
Try rasterizing the text or flatten all layers before saving as DDS.
I will try that...I was able to "backdoor" it to work by SAVING AS a working trojan_2.dds and YES Replace it (after it was backed up) and THAT WORKED. I will try it again with rasterized layer of text.

Try rasterizing the text or flatten all layers before saving as DDS.
that didn't work rasterize layers or flatten image, if I do it normal with adding type layers and just saving it as a DDS, its black in FSX as before. The only way this texture worked is the "backdoor" way.

Last edited:
After all that work, I got trojan_2.dds to work. I uploaded the aircraft to FSX and opened it up at my home field. I was quite disappointed in the quality of the VC. I don't believe that it was updated since 2010. I want to thank you for putting me onto Nvidia's dds tool for Photoshop. When I went back to Nvidia and downloaded the 32bit version it works perfectly and I have just created 4 textures for Ant's T38B Trojan in Photoshop with his paintkit from photos and in just one step within Photoshop saved them as flipped dds files. It is a pleasure not to have to jump from program to program to do the job. Thank you for all your help. I am not doing anything more with the Alphasim. I have a little more work to do in Photoshop and then I'm going flying with my three wingmen created in FSCAI.