• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX and Win10

This winter season I thought I would get into FSX for the first time and adapt my scenery. I'm on Win10 though and come across an issue and wondered if any had same problem.

It is a clean install of win10 on new machine. FSX base game will load and run. FSX+SP1 will load and run, but FSX+SP2 comes up with a message saying Directx is incompatible and it refuses to start.

Win10 comes with DX12. I have installed runtime libraries (2010)pack, and also run a directx9.0c installer, but still get the message. Uninstalled and reinstalled fsx too.

Get the same problem if I try FSX standard plus accelerator.

Nvidia graphic drivers are up to date. Windows update up to date.

Wondered if the clever bods here had any ideas to try.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Look on the CD. There should be a copy of DirectX on it and try installing it if it's there.

Directx is there as FS2004 and base FSX+SP1 work fine.

Done all the following, many times

Run the Directx9.0c installer found by unpacking SP2 msi

Installed the full installer of runtime libraries 2010 as recommended by Microsoft.

Checked all 'dll are in system32 and syswow64 as recommended by microsoft.

Updated video card driver.

Checked latest win10 update has been done

Here I was asking about the game itself, not the SDK. I have solved the game refusing to start because of DX incompatibility by removing the d3dx9_xx.dll's from both syswow64 and system32 folders then running the runtime_libraries_2010 directx installer from microsoft again. It put them back in the folders and, as they were missing this time, must of registered the fact with windows as now the game starts fine.

The link above is to do with SDK install. A whole other issue I have asked about in sdk forum as I do not have access to deluxe discs.

Coming to the FSX party late as you can tell.

Country
canada
Just another guess. Did you install as admin. I mean right click run as admin. Sometime just admin IDs just don't work right. Also have you checked your windows event log and the directx logs.

Country
canada
Well, I have FSX installed with Windows 7 in one PC and with Windows 10 in another. BOTH crash when I try to use the Menus or try to change airports or time/season after going on free flight, even by "End flight". There are zillions of other people with the same problem all over the Net, with and without Acceleration, fresh installs, etc., etc. FSX wasn't a superior product to begin with, as it didn't work until Microsoft came up with SP1, then SP2, and both turned into SP1a. There are many suggestions about running in compatibility with Vista, with Windows 7, as an administrator, and checking the box "Preview DirectX 10" in Settingns, and a few others, such as UIAutomationCore.dll. Nothing works, so far.

Working on scenery with this issue is a royal pain, of course.

If anyone knows of a solution, gosh, it would be great.

Fern

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
What does Windows' Event Viewer say after FSX has crashed?

Country
spain
that happen to me when change to W8.1, with Windows 7 fsx worke well, open the menú and change the time and get the crash. but right you mention it lately I have not had any problem with these issue ¡?

Country
canada
Hi, Heretic
The Event Viewer shows:
Faulting application: fsx.exe
Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll version 7.2.10240.16515
Exception code: 0x000 0005
Fault offset: 0x00064d53
Faulting process id: 0x1aac
Faulting application starting time: 0x01d12316253d7a5e

I have seen the uiautomationcore.dll thing mentioned in the Net in more than one place, but the "solutions" were never clear, so I decided not to mess with it.

I have it in \System32 (this is Windows 10)

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Fern

Country
canada
Well, I seem to have found a solution at fsxeu.com. They have a replacemente uiautomationcore.dll that fixed the problem. I was reluctant (.dll files can be deadly) but fsxeu seems to be a very reputable place. Anyway, it worked, at least so far (a good run, lots of Menu action, no crashes). If it comes back, I'll report.

In the meantime I wish Microsoft stopped giving those empty answers in their "community" and "TechNet", things like "try safemode" or "uninstall and install in compatibility mode", etc. There are thousands of reports of this issue, and fsxeu is the only place with an actual solution.

Thanks, all

Fern

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Glad you got it fixed.

MS only posts these genericm solutions because it would be way too much effort to do detailed troubleshooting with everyone having the a problem.
It's best just to use Google and try to find a solution yourself.

Country
canada
Well, Heretic, I'd agree with you IF this was a generic problem affecting a non-Microsoft piece of software. When it affects FSX which, admittedly, is no longer Microsoft's, and Outlook, one of their current money makers, I believe that it is their corporate obligation to look for the problem. They dismiss it, instead.

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
Well, Heretic, I'd agree with you IF this was a generic problem affecting a non-Microsoft piece of software. When it affects FSX which, admittedly, is no longer Microsoft's, and Outlook, one of their current money makers, I believe that it is their corporate obligation to look for the problem. They dismiss it, instead.

FSX is a 9-year old game developed for XP SP 2 and Vista. It's whistling in the wind to expect Microsoft to still have any corporate obligation to support FSX -any more than it has for other obsolesent games.