• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 FSX animated scenery objects in P3D

Country
australia
Hi,

I am trying to get a scenery working in P3D. Everything works except for 2 animated features. One is a hangar with an animated door which can be opened and closed by switching the Nav 2 radio to a set frequency (114.50) and another is animated rabbit lights which can be switched by setting the Nav 2 radio to 110.30.

The hangars won't show at all in P3D V3 for some reason. Trying to use ModelConverter X to export a P3D V2 scenery object results in the hangars appearing (there are 4 of the same model placed) but the door is in it's open position and it does not animate. Using the animation editor hasn't helped me so far, but I'm not sure about the variables I need to set when importing the model. The variables are TOD, pvfreq, and a table with 6, l_gear and pvfreq. When opening the animation editor the only available selection is labelled unknown and playing the animation does not make the model animation work in ModelConverterX.

The rabbit light models are appearing OK but there doesn't seem to be an animation connected to the model that I can see.

Any ideas how I could go about converting these models to be used in P3D V3?

Cheers,

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
AFAIK these models use FS2004 format to get the radio activation to work and are not available in later formats? If so, then I doubt these are usable in P3D unless LM has implemented another method of doing this?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I guess those objects are FS2004 objects made with CAT. P3D doesn't support the FS2004 format anymore, therefore they don't show.

However the FSX/P3D MDL format doesn't support such condition animations so easily. For sure MCX can't convert them. You would have to look at a tool like SODE to add them back.

Country
australia
Thank you Tom and Arno for your replies, that helps a lot. I wasn't sure if they could be converted, but I was just curious. I will look in to their implementation a bit more, as I am still curious about the older method used for this type of animation, even if I can't get them working in P3D.

Cheers,

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I cannot get CAT to work in System 7, so I hope you have better luck than I did.

Country
australia
I cannot get CAT to work in System 7, so I hope you have better luck than I did.

Don't get me wrong Tom. I am not going to even try to get them working in P3D, at least not with CAT. I take any advice from you guys as gospel.
I am just curious about how they used to work. In other words I need to read up on what CAT is :idea:.

Cheers,

Scott

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
CAT is kind of a tweaker program. You create an .asm file when you compile an FS2004 object using MakeMDL (if using GMAX you check the Keep Files box, as I remember). You keyframe animate the doors as usual. Then you load this .asm file into CAT and use it to tweak this file so it will include the animation triggers you want.