• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Climbing Water on Coastline from Default/Stock Airport(?)

Country
thailand
If you post a screenshot, perhaps I can look into this
I'll post some screenshots tonight (local time).

Are there issues with Freeway Traffic display if SBuilderX CVX objects are selected and compiled to BGL(s) ? :scratchch
I "select all" before compiling the file to .bgl. Maybe because I appended the road CVX to the file. I tried selecting only polygons (airport bouldary with new elevation, excluded CVX polygons, and shorelines) and compile to .bgl, but the result didn't change either.

Country
us-illinois
Are there issues with Freeway Traffic display in FS if SBuilderX CVX vector objects are selected / compiled to BGL(s) ? :scratchch

GaryGB

I "select all" before compiling the file to .bgl. Maybe because I appended the road CVX to the file. I tried selecting only polygons (airport boundary with new elevation, excluded CVX polygons, and shorelines) and compile to .bgl, but the result didn't change either.

IIUC, You are not seeing Freeway Traffic CVX vectors in FS at run time ? :scratchch

If so, remember that by choosing GUID during Append to SBuilderX, the 'Name' attribute inherits the GUID for the *.SHP object 'Property' in the SBuilderX work-space for other 'terrain-type' CVX vectors, but apprently not for Freeway Traffic. :alert:

Freeway Traffic requires that one manually assign the CVX vector GUID on the {Vector Lines tab} in the SBuilderX 'Property' dialog box for the object ...according to the Vector ID shown in the source file:

[FSX install path]\Scenery\0903\scenery\cvx7427.bgl

...when loaded in SDK TMFViewer.

This is what I previously intended to convey above in this thread, as I alluded to a need to "correlate" the TMFViewer object vector ID info with the SDK table of CVX Vector GUIDs:

To better visualize why the elevation is different in P3D versus FSX, load into SDK TMFViewer, these files:

[FSX install path]\Scenery\0903\scenery\dem0903.bgl

[FSX install path]\Scenery\0903\scenery\cvx7427.bgl

In another separate instance of SDK TMFViewer, load these files:

[P3D install path]\Scenery\0903\scenery\dem0903.bgl

[P3D install path]\Scenery\0903\scenery\cvx7427.bgl

The value seen on the bottom status bar as the Mouse cursor moves over the 'ground' area is Altitude in Meters

To ID CVX vector GUID of objects under the Mouse cursor, Right-click on a object poly-line > Identify Vector Features

Correlate that ID info with the SDK table of CVX Vector GUIDs here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/world/terrain/vector_shape_properties_guids.html

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/world/terrain/terrain_overview.html#The Shp2Vec Tool

GaryGB

PS: One can verify what SBuilderX was successfully able to output into BGL(s) by opening those BGL(s) in SDK TMFViewer after they are compiled by SDK SHP2VEC.

I hope this may help explain things a bit more in detail with regards to Freeway Traffic CVX vector objects. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
thailand
The other end of the runway looks like this.
20200619-01.JPG

Country
us-illinois
At this point, I'm quite satisfied with the result. However, at the other end of the runway (where it has to be 62 ft., ie. sloped up runway, it looked like the surrounding terrains are higher! Maybe FS got the terrain height data from add-on mesh?

If you post a screenshot, perhaps I can look into this. ;)

The other end of the runway looks like this.
View attachment 59299

Yes, FS normally gets the ground surface height data from default and/or add-on terrain mesh.

Effective FS run time ground surface height data from terrain mesh can also be modified by CVX vector flattens.

As Tic alluded to above, FS2Kx - FSX / P4Dv1.4 - P3Dv4.4 airports intended to properly display AI Traffic and/or Ground Vehicle Traffic must be flat and level.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...from-default-stock-airport.447909/post-847212

[EDITED]

Normally we would make airports for FS2Kx - FSX / P4Dv1.4 - P3Dv4.4 with the ARP, RWY, and airport flatten all at the same Altitude, so that the navigable surfaces are all flat and level in the FS 3D world as rendered at run time..

This will make a flat and level RWY placed onto local terrain with a higher Altitude at one end of the RWY IRL sink into the ground surface / terrain mesh with a higher Altitude ...at that RWY end,

Again, since we would make airports for FS2Kx - FSX / P4Dv1.4 - P3Dv4.4 with the ARP, RWY, and airport flatten all at the same Altitude, so that the navigable surfaces are all flat and level in the FS 3D world as rendered at run time, the center position along the RWY axis is where the Altitude of the ARP is located, so a flat and level RWY placed onto local terrain with a lower Altitude at one end of the RWY IRL will rise up from the ground surface / terrain mesh with a lower Altitude ...at that RWY end,

[END_EDIT]

FYI: P3Dv5 now offers the ability to display airport infrastructure objects such as RWYs with sloped attributes.

I don't have P3Dv5 to test yet, but AFAIK, that FS version also allows the airports intended to properly display AI Traffic and/or Ground Vehicle Traffic to do so ...WITHOUT the airport infrastructure objects such as RWYs being flat and level.

If you only wish to accommodate pre-P3Dv4 versions of FS with sloped RWYs and navigable custom paved ground surfaces, you will NOT be able to also have proper display AI Traffic and/or Ground Vehicle Traffic as those ground surfaces will NOT be flat and level.

Personally, I rarely use AI Traffic and/or Ground Vehicle Traffic in FS flight sessions; but AFAIK, 'most' end users do.

So the choice is yours as to whether / how you slope your RWY to match the airport configuration IRL.

If you want a slope, and do not wish to create G-Polys with various Material properties / functionality / environmental lighting and/or weather effects, you can use a custom photo-real imagery compiled by SDK Resample displayed in FS at any resolution you wish to create in the imagery source file(s).

If you do wish to create G-Polys with various Material properties / functionality / environmental lighting and/or weather effects, you can use a custom 3D model of the airport surfaces textured with photo-real imagery ...displayed in FS at any resolution you wish to create in the imagery source file(s).

That latter method is what Tic describes above in his very kind and helpful posts to this thread. :wizard:

You may find that use of the freely downloadable, FSX / P3D compatible FreeMeshX terrain mesh for your project area is more satisfactory for your purposes as it provides 2x more accuracy and detail at LOD-10 for your area of interest than the default FSX / P3D terrain mesh, which is only LOD-9.

If you are interested in testing this FreeMeshX terrain mesh option in FS and examining it in SDK TMFViewer, let me know and I will post more info on which BGL file to download via a Torrent distribution for FreeMeshX "Global" files ...and where / how to do so.

Be aware that one's existing work with terrain modification at the RWY34 end may- or may not- require further adaptation to the more detailed FreeMeshX terrain mesh ...if it is used. :pushpin:

Otherwise, one may modify the terrain surrounding the airport objects using triangulated sloped Airport Background (aka "Boundary") CVX vector 'flatten' polygons to blend airport infrastructure objects such as RWYs Taxiways, Aprons. etc. into the surrounding terrain.

That process would, of course, involve a somewhat different work-flow from the task discussed in this thread, and as such would merit its own new separate discussion thread. ;)

Feel free to inquire further as you identify what you would like to do with the terrain at VTPH. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

I had not responded at the time to Tic's post earlier in this thread, but indeed, as Tic alludes to above:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...from-default-stock-airport.447909/post-847212

...if one wishes to use A.I. / Ground Vehicle Traffic SimObjects, RWYs / Taxiways / Aprons must be both flat and level.

Otherwise one may certainly use sloped surfaces at airports via CVX vector Airport Background Polygons and sloped 3D G-Polys.

GaryGB

Last edited: