• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX conversion pictures and videos

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi all.

I thought I'd start a thread for FSX conversion pictures and videos. Add to it!

The notorious Golden Gate Bridge:

GoldenGate.png

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Haha, that thing is really glowing red. I think that is the difference between the FSX and Flight light maps showing through. In FSX the shader switched between the day and night texture, but in Flight it treats the light map texture as additive light and combines it with the "albedo" or day texture. I wonder if I can create a process to automate converting the FSX light maps so they look better in Flight.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Steve.

I like the glow! Here's a shot from a bit later in the the flight:

GoldenGate2.png

Dick

Country
unitedkingdom
Here are two videos flying around
- Lisbon in Portugal
- Central London towards city airport

Andreas

Country
australia
Love the videos. Looks like some rendering priority issues with the bridge in Lisbon within Flight. Anyone know if that would be fixable on our end?

Country
australia
Hi Steve, it has to do with the way objects are shown on screen, e.g. in FSX a smoke.fx file seems to have a higher priority than clouds. So instead of the smoke from the effect blending into the clouds, it appears over it and the clouds behind disappear (leaving blue sky). From what I understand (going way back to FS2002) Everything in FS has a priority where things reside on a rendering priority layer. e.g. (note not exact numbers)

5000 sky
10000 land
20000 water
30000 polygons
40000 apron markings
50000 buildings
60000 clouds

In the Lisbon video above if we go to 1:19 in, there's a render priority issue of some sort where the supports under the bridge roadway are not quite rendered right. The transparency channel of the supports are also masking the roadway above and displaying the clouds behind. This might just be an artifact though of a bridge that was probably originally built for FS2002/FS2004 and may not actually affect FSX SDK built MDL's that have been converted to Flight.

flight.jpg

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Ah, that looks like a render order\depth write issue. It could be I am not converting the material correctly, or as you say, it could just be a problem with the material of the model in FSX. I wonder if FSX has that same problem.