FSX Glass material, realistic glass.

Hi!
I've been working with the FSX SDK for a while now but there seems to be an issue that I can't seem to find the answer:
Realistic glass effects, or at least, Extra 300 like glass...
You see I usually select the default transparent option on the FSX Material but, in FSX looks like this:
F-22Raptor_glass.JPG
Which isn't what I was expecting...
Can you tell me of a better way of doing this?

Also: how can I make the reflection intensity be controled by the alpha channel of the texture?

Thanks in advance!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Here is the "recipie" I use:

Blinn Opacity: ~6%

Diffuse Color: 64x64 pixel DDS/DTX5 w/Alpha
Specular Color: (same bitmap as Diffuse!)

FresnelRamp: (one of the defaults or custom)
Diffuse: x
Reflection: x
Specular: x

Special Functionality:
x: Blend diffuse by diffuse alpha
x: Use global environment map as reflection

Reflection Scale: 100%
Specular Map Power Scale: 256

Bloom:
x: Allow bloom
x: No specular bloom

Source Blend: SrcColor
Destination Blend: InvSrcAlpha

Emissive Mode: AdditiveNightOnly

x: Z-Test Alpha

Alpha Test Mode: Always

x: Set final alpha value at render time
Final Alpha Multiply: 255.0

x: Z-Write Alpha

n4gix

Resource contributor
Ah it worked, thanks a LOT!!
I love it!
You are most welcome. Just for the record, the last entries are critical to ensure that the "glass" is always drawn last...

...which prevents such ugliness as the panel "gauges" appearing to "cut" through the glass.
Code:

Yeah, I noticed that.
I had a pitot that wasn't mapped and appeared through the glass because I didn't check those boxes...

I had the glass texture on the same sheet as the fuselage's texture.. For the specular map I just used the same texture sheet as the diffuse glass texture..

Bill, I have spent huge amounts of time trying to figure out good glass...only to always end up with something passable but wimpy in terms of specular shine! Needless to say this works quite well, especially for what I am playing with now :D
This is a community project I'm involved in at Sim-Outhouse. The original mesh was done by Michael Davies some years ago. I'm the interior modeler, along with helping on things like the glass material.
2010-8-21_10-59-6-421.jpg

One thing I discovered...with the z-settings anything not textured behind the glass may or may not show up in FSX. That's only an oddity to keep in mind while you work on your project as we know that all parts should be textured in the end ;)

Thanks for sharing this!

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
No problem sharing. We all want "good glass" and it's kind of pointless for everyone to keep reinventing the wheel...

...as there's plenty of other things to drive us nuts! :rotfl:

Thank you very much for the glass recipe, Bill! Just like Robert, I too have been unable to come up with a glass material that passes my non-retarded test. :D Can't wait to try it out!

Thanks from here also.. I was unaware of the Z-test details. This will help out alot..

arrigatto, Bill sahn.. (bows humbly)

n4gix

Resource contributor
To make my life simpler, I have both .max and .gmax source files with one piece of "glass" and the FSX Material pre-set and ready to use.

Whenever I'm ready to do my "glass" all I need to do is Merge the requisite source file into my current project, assign the FSX Material to my project's glass, then delete the merged polygon from the stock file.

All I need to do at this point is change the texture names as desired for my needs. The rest of the FSX Material can remain as is... :D

To make my life simpler, I have both .max and .gmax source files with one piece of "glass" and the FSX Material pre-set and ready to use.

Whenever I'm ready to do my "glass" all I need to do is Merge the requisite source file into my current project, assign the FSX Material to my project's glass, then delete the merged polygon from the stock file.

All I need to do at this point is change the texture names as desired for my needs. The rest of the FSX Material can remain as is... :D
Thanks for the tip! :D I'll have to remember that...

Here is the "recipie" I use:

Blinn Opacity: ~6%

Diffuse Color: 64x64 pixel DDS/DTX5 w/Alpha
Specular Color: (same bitmap as Diffuse!)

FresnelRamp: (one of the defaults or custom)
Diffuse: x
Reflection: x
Specular: x

Special Functionality:
x: Blend diffuse by diffuse alpha
x: Use global environment map as reflection

Reflection Scale: 100%
Specular Map Power Scale: 256

Bloom:
x: Allow bloom
x: No specular bloom

Source Blend: SrcColor
Destination Blend: InvSrcAlpha

Emissive Mode: AdditiveNightOnly

using this method and setting without applying any bitmaps i get the glass texture in fsx. but as soon as i apply my transparant bitmaps to diffuse and specular the glass textuired objects become invisable in fsx despite looking ok in 3dsmax

i just cant seem to find a way of making the glass texture bitmaps work?

n4gix

Resource contributor
using this method and setting without applying any bitmaps i get the glass texture in fsx. but as soon as i apply my transparant bitmaps to diffuse and specular the glass textuired objects become invisable in fsx despite looking ok in 3dsmax

i just cant seem to find a way of making the glass texture bitmaps work?
What values are you using for the Alpha channels?

Diffuse Color: RGB:132,146,168 A:190,190,190

Specular Color: (same bitmap as above)

Attachments