FSX Glass material, realistic glass.

yes im familiar with red green blue and alpha channel, i made my texture saved as tga and png which both have alpha channels. but what to do with these regarding transparent textures im not sure all i did was make a 64 by 64transparent texture in photoshop i actually experimented with a gradient so that i would be able to clearly differentiate between a glass window and an empty one in my model. i can see the gradient transparent texture in 3dsmax but not in fsx

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
yes im familiar with red green blue and alpha channel, i made my texture saved as tga and png which both have alpha channels.
I provided you with the EXACT "formula" to use. There's no simpler way to explain this. Use the EXACT numbers I provided and it will work.

its not the formula it works perfectly its the bitmaps. as soon as i assign the transparent bitmaps i get the problem. if i dont use bitmaps i get perfect transparent windows but i know this is no good as it needs to be done with bitmaps for fsx.

my transparent bitmap 64 64 with chequers clearly visable in photoshop saved as png seem to be causing the issue. alph channels and rgb setting have been mentioned in this thread in regard to bitmaps so perhaps this is the cause but i dont know what i need to do with these when i create my bitmap that i should perhaps be doing?

n4gix

Resource contributor
You need one -and only one- bitmap. It should have precisely the values for RGB and Alpha channels I specified.

Use that bitmap's name for the Diffuse Color slot in the FSX Material
Use that same bitmap's name in the Specular Color slot of the FSX Material

There is no "Transparent" bitmap required! That is the purpose of the Alpha channel blending in the FSX Material's properties, and the "Use Default Transparency" button.

Here are two files: T38_Glass.dds for FSX, and T38_Glass.jpg for Max/GMax.

Attachments

Last edited:
well as from past experience im sure its something im doing wrong probably something very basic that i dont realise but i have followed the recipe exactly and its fine untill i apply the t38 64x64texture bitmap(as provided) then i see nothing in fsx the glass dissapears completely. without the bitmap the glass shows just fine

A couple of things to check...

• The texture names match between Max and FSX.
  • For me at least if I alter anything in the aircraft's texture folder I must restart FSX to see the change. Forgetting that on occasion has led to frustration.

Many times when it comes to troubleshooting these things pictures are a big help. Could you post some screenshots of what you are describing?

ok here are some shots in 3dsmax9 they all have the glass texture applied but the first two have the "show map in viewport" on. even though the opacity is only 6 the glass is opaque (inside faces are totally black for some reason too). with this option off in the second two shots the glass is transparent and im not sure why this happens either.

in the sim the glass textured polys are simply missing despite being visable in max unless i clear the bitmap slots then the glass looks exactly right as it does in shot 3, 4 and 6 and 7 in max but without bitmaps is obviously no good for fsx.

just too clarify its just the two front windows that have glass in side windows have not yet been built and are just holes

edit: i have added a coupe of extra shots (5 & 6) from inside both agian have glass texture with bitmaps one with "show map in viewport" one with it off

Attachments

Last edited:
yes but i can still see it its very faint but has a tint in 3dsmax and without the bitmaps is visable in fsx with the tint in the same way and noticably darker if i up the opacity setting.
but no matter what opacity setting i input will not show in fsx with bitmaps even at 100% and also i should see the specular shine at least even if it has no tint

ive just got an export error about object with faces with and without texture so i cant get it in to fsx to take shots till ive solved this (again)

Last edited:
All I can think of is to be certain you followed the directions verbatim. The instructions and the textures Bill was kind enough to give you work fine for me, and others here have also used it successfully.

Could you post a screenie of all of the material settings you are using in Max?

n4gix

Resource contributor
First: polygons in Max/GMax/FSX only have ONE SIDE! The black you see on the backside in Max is because you haven't opened the Properties for that object and turned off "backface cull."

Second: Attached to this is a zip file with a glass sample .max file, along with the two required textures already set up for you.

T-38_Glass_Example.max
T-38_Glass.dds
T-38_Glass_fresnel_red.dds

Merge the T-38_Glass_Example.max file with your project, then apply the T-38_Glass FSX Material to your glass.

Export and compile. Test in FSX. If you can't make this work then I have no idea at all what else I can do to help.

Attachments

thanks all for your help here

as soon as i have resolved the export error i will try to test again in fsx.

as far as back face cull is concerned i assumed this was not to be done to glass textures as you may see the other side through an open canopy or window for example so i did not. and also my other objects that do not have backface cullled are not black on the back side this is why i thought it strange

Last edited:
ok Bill i merged your file applied the texture to my windows looked fine in max but still the same in fsx nothing i even tried to up the opacity still the same.

i did not know what to do the the fresnel ramp dds so i just put it in the texture folder.( i would not know how to create this my self anyway)

so here i am dont worry about any more help on this topic like you said you have suggested all you can on this one, perhaps im just not suited to moddeling in fsx everything i do seems to be a complete struggle and does not work for what ever reason when it should be simple in theory so im now going to fly my 777 in to a mountain!!!!:)

thanks

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm sorry you seem to have given up. Most of us here have been working at the craft for several years, and we are still learning. ;)

Heretic

Resource contributor
Holy moly, what a smooth glareshield!

Anyways, getting glass right made me bang my head on the desk more than once as well.

I've tried Bill L.'s recipe (with custom diffuse and spec maps) to no avail and settled for my own custom solution in the end.

n4gix

Resource contributor
ok Bill i merged your file applied the texture to my windows looked fine in max but still the same in fsx nothing i even tried to up the opacity still the same.
The "Blinn Opacity" is used only to make things "transparent" in Max/GMax. That parameter is never exported at all. So adjusting it is fruitless.

The only exported "transparent properties" are the values set lower down in the FSX Material dialog, where the "Use Default Transparent" button, and the z-order settings are located.

ah ok good to know thanks

anyway ive taken the weekend off as needed a break from head bashing will have another go at it this week:)

oddly enough i have never had any problem getting uvw transparent textures to work and really i cant see that there is much difference its still just a texture bitmap......................oh well will see

Last edited:
Holy moly, what a smooth glareshield!

Anyways, getting glass right made me bang my head on the desk more than once as well.

I've tried Bill L.'s recipe (with custom diffuse and spec maps) to no avail and settled for my own custom solution in the end.
the glare shield is far from finished thats why its not smooth, needs some more work