FSX Glass material, realistic glass.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Bill L.:

I've tried your glass settings with the exact same values and bitmaps and the default fresnel ramp.
The windows simply look as if they're not filled with glass and don't reflect light (at certain angles) at all.

Do your settings find applications on anything else than canopies(!)?

- Edit:

Much better results without "Z-Test" and "Z-Write Alpha" and "Set Final Alpha Value..." and "Blend diffuse by diffuse alpha"

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Very strange! I've used this exact "recipie" on six different projects so far with no problems at all!

The only difference has been a slightly different RGB color. Some are "green tint," others have been "light gold" or even "light blue."

Bill L.:

I've tried your glass settings with the exact same values and bitmaps and the default fresnel ramp.
The windows simply look as if they're not filled with glass and don't reflect light (at certain angles) at all.

Do your settings find applications on anything else than canopies(!)?

- Edit:

Much better results without "Z-Test" and "Z-Write Alpha" and "Set Final Alpha Value..." and "Blend diffuse by diffuse alpha"
Yes, this is true! All the non-opaque stuff that was inside the cockpit disappeared if I checked the Z-write alpha...

n4gix

Resource contributor
Yes, this is true! All the non-opaque stuff that was inside the cockpit disappeared if I checked the Z-write alpha...
Odd, that! I had to use the Z-write alpha to prevent glass gauges in the VC from "cutting through" the exterior glass...

n4gix

Resource contributor
Odd, that! I had to use the Z-write alpha to prevent glass gauges in the VC from "cutting through" the exterior glass...

All the Z-write Alpha does is say "draw me last!"

Diffuse Color: RGB:132,146,168 A:190,190,190

where how do you adjust these setting in photoshop specifically the alph channel as shown above

Noob,

In Photoshop, you should have a Layers section (tab) on the bottom right on the old Photoshop. You open it and you should have red, blue, green, and 'all' at the top of the list. YOu click on 'new' and a new layer pops up, and that is your Alpha. Drop in (fill) the color of your choice, and export.

You will need the Photoshop tools from nVidia to export as DDS and with an Alpha, otherwise, I do not know if Photoshop can export the Alpha integrated into the art, such as DDS. It will want to export as a PSD.

Remember that once you create and fill your new Alpha, to turn back on all visible layers 'then' export, or they will not show up.

Bill

n4gix

Resource contributor
If you don't have (or want to use) the nVidia DDS plugin, simply Save As TARGA, this is a 32bit format that will keep the RGB and Alpha channels intact.

Then you can use ImageTool.exe to convert to DDS/DXT5 format.

thanks

using the glass recipe here

Special Functionality:
x: Blend diffuse by diffuse alpha
x: Use global environment map as reflection

i have discovered that if i dont also have the
" blend environment by inverse of diffuse alpha" option checked as well as the
other two i get a solid colour instead of tranparent texture in FSX

and i just cant seem to get specular bloom. ( the sun reflecting on the glass texture). reflection is there fine. its shows fine in max but the glossiness and specular level adjustment in max seems to have no effect in fsx

any ideas why im seeing this.

and i have also noticed that the binn opacity setting does directly affect the transparency in FSX . but is mentioned here that that setting is soley for 3dsmax benifit and has no affect in the sim.

this makes me think i must be doing something wrong

thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, this worked for me! Old post, I know, but they're here for a reason!

The only thing I'd like to "improve" upon is a stronger specular bloom, exactly as the post above mentions. Right now, the sun's reflection is a faint little smudge, barely visible. I'd like to have quite a strong specular glint, with (hopefully) a strong bloom. I'm getting it strong on my metallic materials, but can't get it as strong on glass.

Any ideas or thoughts how to create this?

Last edited:
To make my life simpler, I have both .max and .gmax source files with one piece of "glass" and the FSX Material pre-set and ready to use.

Whenever I'm ready to do my "glass" all I need to do is Merge the requisite source file into my current project, assign the FSX Material to my project's glass, then delete the merged polygon from the stock file.

All I need to do at this point is change the texture names as desired for my needs. The rest of the FSX Material can remain as is... :D
True that! I have a material library .max file, and one of the entries is "BillGlass" :D

n4gix

Resource contributor
You might try increasing the Specular Level in the FSX Material definitions, and/or adjust the Alpha channel of the specular .dds file.

Thanks Bill...I tried a bunch of values through base specular (with "no base material specular" unchecked) but nothing much changes it. Also tried it with a specular dds texture which is completely white, but I haven't tried its alpha channel. What does alpha channel of the specular texture do?

n4gix

Resource contributor
The shade of the Alpha channel will adjust the "spread" or "width" of the specular color (which is the RGB channels of course).

Yeah, I tried both and I'm still not getting what I'd like to see... Here's a shot of my test subjects:

Right material is with default "Earth ground level" FSX environment map, and the left material is using my own "orbital" environment map. Both have a completely white alpha in their specular maps. For a good measure, I adjusted base material specular to completely white as well.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for Bill's FSX shiny glass recipe and this is where I found it, so I thought I would report my results here. Note that I am using ModelConverterX to set these values, so things might be slightly different than in GMAX/3DS Max.

When I used Bill's settings with the default FresnelTest.dds file in the default Texture folder it looked bizarre so I removed any fresnel_ramp texture reference and set the relevant values to False (unchecked). Now I had the problem that noob24 had - no glass at all, perfectly clear. The solution in my case was to change the Source Blend setting from SrcColor to SrcAlpha. Now the glass showed up, and I could determine how much of my glass tinting vs reflection I would get (one seemed to cancel the other) by varying the Reflection Scale value until I had a nice compromise. In this case that was 2, but MCX uses a completely different scale from 3DS Max, so that won't help most of you.

I also prefer to specify the default GLOBALENV_AC_CHROME.DDS environment map, since it has smoother reflections than does the default map and it doesn't turn my metal green. And finally I prefer to place Bob Rivera's replacement for that file into my plane's texture folders (or use a texture.cfg file to access it) since it avoids most of the day texture bleeding onto the bare metal from certain angles. I didn't replace the copy in the main Texture folder in case it has some unexpected results with other FSX objects. It's globalenv_texturesv1.zip at AVSIM, but it is at other places too.

So now my glass looks like glass, thanks Bill!