FSX KML v1.10 beta released - 19th Aug 2007

v1.10 beta has been released.

Please see the WIKI for download instructions and manual
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=FSX_KML

=== v1.10 Beta - 19th August 2007 ===

New features:-

* Land class tiles
* Water class tiles

Please note: When building land and water class FSX KML makes use of the freeware tool set called FWTools.

You can download FWTools from http://fwtools.maptools.org

You will need to specify the location of FWTools on the FSX KML Build tab.

Last edited:
Excusemy newbieness :) but what does that mean, really? In v1.09 you already had Landclass and Waterpolys.

Now I see some new Water entries in uppercase but I don't know what is the difference. Actually I found it confusing :( would be a good idea to shed some light on the subject :)

Excusemy newbieness :) but what does that mean, really? In v1.09 you already had Landclass and Waterpolys.

Now I see some new Water entries in uppercase but I don't know what is the difference. Actually I found it confusing :( would be a good idea to shed some light on the subject :)
In 1.09 there was only land class polygon support. In 1.10 there is there is also land class tile support (and water class tiles too).

Land and water class tiles are LOD5 in size (approx 1.2 km square).

Also land and water class tiles are much higher performing then land class polygons and also they "blend" together at the edges.

In FSX the world is already covered with land and water class. However it is not very accurate.

FSX KML v1.10 lets you create your own land and water class to override the default.

Its very simple to do, here's a quick tutorial:

Lets say you want to redo the Hawaiian land class. You want to cover it in tropical forest, put a few farms in and also the city of Honolulu.

1. Draw a polygon around the entire island of Hawaii and tag it with LandClass_TROPICAL_RAINFOREST.
2. Draw a polygon around some farmland and tag it with LandClass_HOT_IRRIGATED_CROPLAND
3. Draw a polygon around Honalulu and tag it with LandClass_LARGE_CITY_URBAN_GRID_WET

Now I realize the example above is not very accurate but it demonstrates how to use landclass tiles.

You can redfine water by using the WaterClass tags.

I will upload a sample KML and screen shot soon.

FSX KML - Development ...

Hi...

Whats happening with FSX KML? things seem a little queit in terms of Development tools for FSX...

how long is it till a new version of FSX KML will be available for us to utilise? Also is there going to be a possibility in visual point editing as I'm battling with the heights in the point editor...

Gareth
Virtual Aerospace Design South Africa