FSXA FSX on Steam: Compatibility?

ollyau

Resource contributor
Some effects seem to be broken. I've noticed this with the forest fire effect controller as well (both as an attachpoint and BGL).

Sent an email to Dovetail support about it and haven't received a response yet.

That is a rather odd statement, given that I can launch FSX:SE directly from my Desktop Icon, without having the Steam program running at all, much less minimized to the taskbar!

I have to disagree with you Bill. I get this:

upload_2014-12-20_10-44-11.png

If I do a winmerge (compare program) most of the files in FSX SE are the same except for the main folder. The main folder like fsx.exe a flagged different.

Offline mode gives me the error above.

There is lots missing and different in the SDK.

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
I've read that the installer simply accepts whichever it encounters first. I don't know enough to know if this is correct or not. If it is true it would seem to be a relatively simple matter to transpose the entries to select the version that something could be directed to.
Jim, all of the installers I code, and as far as I'm aware those created via Clickteam, read either the HKCU AppPath key or the HKLM SetupPath key to determine the absolute path to any specific program. For example, to find FSX's path, I can use this command string:
Code:
ReadRegStr $INSTDIR HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator\10.0" SetupPath
-or this way-
Code:
ReadRegStr $INSTDIR HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator\10.0" AppPath
In either case, the value found for either SetupPath or AppPath will be the absolute path to FSX.

To find the path to FSX:SE, I can use this command string:
Code:
ReadRegStr $INSTDIR HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator - steam edition\10.0" AppPath
Note also that it is usually "safer" to read the HKCU (current user) since not everyone is the sole user of any given computer. :cool:

Last edited:
After doing a little research it seems that although Steam has an offline mode, Steam doesn't launch FSX SE in offline mode and you need to be online and logged. With no internet connection on my FSX computer I can't see how the Steam version would work for me.

I would guess that when you first started the program you had Steam loaded. According to Valve Corp. themselves: "Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine."

n4gix

Resource contributor
Mike, that is likely what happened in my case. I did have the Steam client loaded when i first launched FSX:SE. However, I did not do anything else 'special' to configure off-line capability. It just works.

Bill, could you try this for me: From the "How to Make Steam’s Offline Mode Work" article at How-To Geek

To run a game without launching Steam, open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the game’s folder in your Steam directory. Assuming you installed Steam to the default location, the game’s folder should be at the following directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GameName
Locate the game’s .exe file and try double-clicking it. Some games – particularly older ones — will launch normally, while games that require Steam’s DRM will try to open Steam and will complain if you’re not logged in.
Unfortunately, this approach won’t work for most games – but it’s worth a try if Steam’s offline mode isn’t working for you.

Hi Bill (n4gix),
From your post it sounds like the info I read regarding how an auto-installer locates FSX is correct. And after posting the images I realized that the complete path wasn't shown; they are in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER". Now, my ignorance is likely to come to the forefront here but, to your knowledge, could a simple transposition of the "10.0" entries redirect the auto-installation? I tried installing a Carrenado aircraft to FSX:SE but it installed to FSX and I've read that ORBX scenery does likewise. The ORBX CEO says that "it belies logic to have Legacy FSX and FSX:SE installed on the same machine once the 3rd party addon quirks are sorted out." so I feel that they're leaving me out in the cold as I would like to maintain both.
I'm not familiar with editing the registry and I'm still not certain that simply transposing the keys would re-direct the install, so any guidance will be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about adding a new key, referring to the image I previously posted, under "Microsoft Games" and if the key appeared at the top, edit the key to reflect the lower existing entry and then deleting the lower or vice-versa if the key appeared at the bottom. Or perhaps there are considerations I'm completely unaware of.
Jim F.

Does anyone know the reason for not including key parts of the SDK? Example almost all the GMAX stuff is there except for the FSXAnimation.ms, missing Xtomdl.exe. Does not make sense to me. Looks like the SDK is unusable.

upload_2014-12-20_14-52-50.png

Hi Ron,
I don't know the reasoning behind this but all the ".exe"s are missing but all the ".dll"s are included. As none of the exes are used from within FSX, but are only used for creating additional content, this may play a part in why they were excluded. All of the dlls are used from within FSX. The information regarding using the tools, such as cabdir, bglcomp etc. is still referenced.
The SDK is still usable, just not for creation of new software.
Jim F.

All of the dlls are used from within FSX. The information regarding using the tools, such as cabdir, bglcomp etc. is still referenced.
The SDK is still usable, just not for creation of new software.
Jim F.
Can't agree with that, what about people that did not buy the deluxe CD version of FSX? No SDK. Agree the DLLs are used but are in the FSX main folders? Don't know for sure because I have the deluxe version. I also see the FSX:SE has put the simconnect.dll (ver 10.0.62607) in the GAC, while others have is in WinSXS (FSX:SE) only. FSX:SE has it in the WinSXS also.

Hi Ron.
What are you disagreeing with?
This is only a guess but in order to get the OPT working I added the sample dll.xml from the Mission Creation section to my AppData for FSX:SE and edited the path to point to it's location.
"<Path>S:\Flight Sim\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>" is for my system.
I also added Autothumbnail to exe.xml and it works fine.
Most of the information included in the SDK is usable.
Hope this helps clarify whatever the point of confusion was.
Jim F.

n4gix

Resource contributor
While I am fairly confident that the stuff missing from the SDK is due to an oversight, it's hardly the end of the world...

All anyone who really needs the 'missing stuff' can simply download the free Prepar3D v1.4 SDK from Lockeed-Martin's website: http://www.prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

It is actually an updated version of the FSX/A SDK after all! :teacher:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Hi Bill (n4gix),
From your post it sounds like the info I read regarding how an auto-installer locates FSX is correct. And after posting the images I realized that the complete path wasn't shown; they are in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER". Now, my ignorance is likely to come to the forefront here but, to your knowledge, could a simple transposition of the "10.0" entries redirect the auto-installation?
No, but you could carefully transpose the " - steam edition" from the FSX:SE key to the FSX key, run your installer(s), then change them back to the way they were. I advise making a precautionary "backup" of the Registry just in case you make a boo-boo.

HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator\10.0"
HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator - steam edition\10.0"