FSXA FSX on Steam: Compatibility?

It still appears to be true that a version compiled with 62607 lib will not work properly with a 61259 or earlier server even if the 61259 dll is installed. No errors, just failure to operate properly.
I think it's unlikely to work properly because the .lib file can be created from the .dll file.

This is crazy. If it is a single install the scenery.cfg is in ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX if it is a side-by-side version it is FSX-SE.

What if a user installs the Steam edition first than the FSX-MS? The MS version will overwrite everything...

Dovetail, you have just failed...

This is crazy. If it is a single install the scenery.cfg is in ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX if it is a side-by-side version it is FSX-SE.

What if a user installs the Steam edition first than the FSX-MS? The MS version will overwrite everything...

Dovetail, you have just failed...
Why should Dovetail waste its time and resources on those choose overwrite an out-of-date product with the latest one - especially as the out-of-date version isn't Dovetail's product?

But this is exactly what I write. Instead of they install everything into a clean separate folder which can not conflict with any other program, they mess with original MS files.
I'm not only talking about registry but scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg and dll.xml. They are also on the same location if it is a standalone install.
So looking at this it would have been even easier for them to have a separate install.

Why should Dovetail waste its time and resources on those choose overwrite an out-of-date product with the latest one - especially as the out-of-date version isn't Dovetail's product?

ollyau

Resource contributor
The standalone install matching that of the original FSX is good from a compatibility standpoint, though. If it always used new directories many addons that would otherwise be compatible would need to be reconfigured.

But this is exactly what I write. Instead of they install everything into a clean separate folder which can not conflict with any other program, they mess with original MS files.
I'm not only talking about registry but scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg and dll.xml. They are also on the same location if it is a standalone install.
So looking at this it would have been even easier for them to have a separate install.
Could it possibly be to make easier for users (and developers) to install FSX add-ins in a new FSX-SE?

Incidentally, how many people need to install FSX over FSX-SE?

I have FSX, P3D V2.4 and now FSX-SE installed. The last two primarily for a beta testing environment situation.

Prior to installing P3D V2.4 I created a new user account to keep it completely isolated from my FSX install and its'
hundreds or hours worth of 'customizations'.

Although P3D uses different registry keys from those of FSX, there is one area of 'overlap' that concerned me. That
is the A2A aircraft DAT files. Those that hol aircraft state, engine and airframe hours, etc. Unfortunately those
get saved in the "My Documents\A2A\FSX" folder and are 'shared' by any version that has the A2A aircraft
installed. Thus, to preserve my current FSX A2A aircraft DAT files I needed the second account.

Now with the addition of FSX-SE I had this issue once again. Instead of creating a third account for FSX-SE I decided
to just toss it into the P3D User account since I am not concerned with keeping those A2A aircraft DAT files separated
in those two sims since, as I mentions, P3D V2.4 and FSX-SE are installed primarily to have those platforms for beta testing.

That is my answer to the myopic question "Why would anyone want to...."

I am seeing some disturbing issues cropping up between FSX and FSX-SE which on the surface seem to point to some
radical difference in the way scenery is dealt with. I have found instances of scenery texture files located in an addon library
being reported by FSX-SE as 'missing' when they in fact do exist. On a quick cursory investigation I found that changing the
case of the texture file names from all lower to all upper, as they appear in the BGL, solved the issue for those textures.

I only tested the first 4 or 5 instances of missing texture reports and haven't revisited that area again, yet. The same
conditions in FSX yield NO missing texture reports. So, there is something rather disturbing going on here and having
both sims installed will aid in tracking down issues.

My first hint of a problem was that FSX-SE constantly 'stuttered' while flying in a particular area where FSX did not. Both
sims share the same Addon Scenery 'folder', which is actually a separate drive mounted in empty Addon Scenery folders in
each of those sims.

Thanks to those that posted the various registry key 'configurations'. Those are a big help to me even though I am
not developing installers, etc for addons.

Paul

On a quick cursory investigation I found that changing the
case of the texture file names from all lower to all upper, as they appear in the BGL, solved the issue for those textures.
Are you running Windows 8? All MS versions of windows up to and includng W7 have a case-insensitive file naming system.

Are you running Windows 8? All MS versions of windows up to and includng W7 have a case-insensitive file naming system.
George,

I am running Win7 Pro X64 and the files in question have been on my system for a very long time and present no issues in FSX. It is only in FSX-SE that I saw the 'missing texture' notices and resolved 4 instances by changing the DDS file name to upper case, matching the case in the BGL file.

The very same DDS file names in lower case do NOT generate a missing texture condition in FSX thus I concluded that something has changed in FSX-SE to bring about this condition.

I don't have the time at the moment to revisit the issue and see if this occurs with other BGL/texure DDS files.

EDIT: I have just revisited this issue and have found that there is something else happening here with my FSX-SE install. The 4 files that I had previously changed to upper case are now still being flagged as missing. I did note that each time I started the sim the missing texture reports came out in a different order. This apparently happened when I did my initial test of changing the case on the 4 files and restarted the sim. When those 4 were not flagged when I stepped through the first few missing messages, thus leading me to believe that I had 'fixed the problem'. Not so. I now have no clue as to why texture files that are present in an active scenery folder are being flagged as 'missing'.

Paul

Last edited:
Although P3D uses different registry keys from those of FSX, there is one area of 'overlap' that concerned me. That
is the A2A aircraft DAT files. Those that hol aircraft state, engine and airframe hours, etc. Unfortunately those
get saved in the "My Documents\A2A\FSX" folder and are 'shared' by any version that has the A2A aircraft
installed. Thus, to preserve my current FSX A2A aircraft DAT files I needed the second account.
Does the A2A installer put those files in "My Documents\A2A\FSX"?

Heretic

Resource contributor
EDIT: I have just revisited this issue and have found that there is something else happening here with my FSX-SE install. The 4 files that I had previously changed to upper case are now still being flagged as missing. I did note that each time I started the sim the missing texture reports came out in a different order. This apparently happened when I did my initial test of changing the case on the 4 files and restarted the sim. When those 4 were not flagged when I stepped through the first few missing messages, thus leading me to believe that I had 'fixed the problem'. Not so. I now have no clue as to why texture files that are present in an active scenery folder are being flagged as 'missing'.
Those textures are in a FSX-compatible format, right?

Those textures are in a FSX-compatible format, right?
Yes. They work perfectly in FSX. They are DDS textures for the most part. A couple are BMP. That is the mystery. I'll have to dig around a bit more to see if I can find any 'not so obvious' issues with my FSX-SE install.

Paul

I would guess that when you first started the program you had Steam loaded. According to Valve Corp. themselves: "Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine."
How do I configure Offline Mode on your machine?