• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA FSX on Steam: Compatibility?

Country
unitedstates
FSX works best as a stand alone program. Steam eats up a lot of system resources when running in the background, for FSX which is already a super resource hog...STEAM would act like a pack of locked up brakes.

Country
unitedstates
FSX works best as a stand alone program. Steam eats up a lot of system resources when running in the background, for FSX which is already a super resource hog...STEAM would act like a pack of locked up brakes.
I guess it's good then that there is no need to run Steam when running FSX-SE.

cheers,
Lane

Country
unitedstates
That's not at all true.

maybe so for source engine games. When Alice Madness Returns was released, I bought the stand alone copy from Walmart and the game ran flawlessly. Just to experiment, I bought the game again, on steam and it was significantly more laggier than the stand alone version. The Steam framework is heavy, it has a window interface and a full screen interface, along with a full featured web browser, a chat client and several other tid bits for verifying that games are legit. For high end systems not a problem but for low end systems you'll find there is a bit of an impact.

What STEAM does offer to FSX is enhanced multiplayer capability, it will be a lot easier for everyone to join a flight simulator run and make new friends, so in a way, releasing the game on steam will actually expand its' already proven community to new faces and perhaps more developers will take interests other than the ones we already have.

ddawson

Resource contributor
Country
canada
4. FSUIPC will not work until Pete can recompile it to use the new version of SimConnect that FSX:SE has compiled.

Bill, would I be correct then in surmising that FSX:SE is not installing previous versions of SimConnect, the way P3D does?

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Bill, would I be correct then in surmising that FSX:SE is not installing previous versions of SimConnect, the way P3D does?
SimConnect is backwards compatible, aside the old SimConnect port registry keys not being set. FSUIPC isn't compatible because Pete uses undocumented DLL exports.

Country
canada
FYI

They have taken over fsinsider.com

http://www.fsxinsider.com/faqs/

And what affects me is LAN connectivity: (but for $5 Canadian it was an ok experiment)

Will the FSX: Steam Edition be compatible with the boxed version for multiplayer users who use LAN? Unfortunately, due to multiplayer differences between the two versions of FSX this is not possible.

What languages does FSX: Steam Edition include?The initial release of FSX: Steam Edition will include English only.

Since Steam is a digital platform will FSX: Steam Edition require a persistent internet connection?At present FSX: Steam Edition will require a digital “handshake” with Steam at the start of a session. After that point you may go offline and continue your session without interruption. We recognise that many simulation fans prefer to be disconnected while they play and as such we are working towards making FSX: Steam Edition playable while operating Steam in offline mode. Please note that multiplayer will always require you to be in online mode.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
At present FSX: Steam Edition will require a digital “handshake” with Steam at the start of a session.

Which rules FSX Steam out in my situation, my FSX computer is not connected to the internet.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Bought it. Not sure what to do about it yet though. Might temporarily move my main installation somewhere safe and then install it to the SSD.

Country
netherlands
It's supposed to be side-by-side enabled... I'm downloading it as we speak. Tests are due over the weekend.

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I'm running FSX Acceleration and FSX Steam Edition side by side just fine. As shown by the folder structure outlined in my previous post, they're completely independent of each other.

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I've installed the FSX Blue Angels 2014 Hornet and it works fine in FSX Steam Edition. Haven't gotten around to trying other aircraft, but there were quite a few people with third party aircraft in multiplayer.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Doug, FSX:SE installs its own re-compiled version of SimConnect. However, in the SDK folder they've also included is the ..\LegacyInterfaces folder, which contains FSX-RTM, FSX-SP1, AND FSX-XPACK .msi installers for previous versions of SimConnect. One need only run each of the three as needed for full backwards compatibility.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Since Steam is a digital platform will FSX: Steam Edition require a persistent internet connection?At present FSX: Steam Edition will require a digital “handshake” with Steam at the start of a session. After that point you may go offline and continue your session without interruption. We recognise that many simulation fans prefer to be disconnected while they play and as such we are working towards making FSX: Steam Edition playable while operating Steam in offline mode. Please note that multiplayer will always require you to be in online mode.
That is a rather odd statement, given that I can launch FSX:SE directly from my Desktop Icon, without having the Steam program running at all, much less minimized to the taskbar!

Of course, one would have to have the Steam client running if one wishes to engage in multi-player mayhem, er I mean flying! :rotfl:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Which rules FSX Steam out in my situation, my FSX computer is not connected to the internet.
I just unplugged my Cat5 cable from my dev computer and ran FSX:SE just fine. Since that's the only version installed on this machine, there's no doubt at all that the Steam version was running. :wave:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I'm running FSX Acceleration and FSX Steam Edition side by side just fine. As shown by the folder structure outlined in my previous post, they're completely independent of each other.
There is one critical difference though...

If installed by itself, every Registry entry and filename is identical to that of FSX:MS, so that most installers should work without problems.

If installed side-by-side, all bets are off until new installers that can accomodate chosing between two Registry entries and their respective AppPath keys are developed and released.

Country
us-california
Hi,
The only interaction I've noticed with both versions installed is that the Flight Plans are saved to a common location.
As far as auto-installer problems this is what I've found from various threads. Here are 2 images of registry entries:

This is the entry pointing to FSX.
Zudqp.jpg

And here's the entry pointing to FSX:SE
8zsAj.jpg

I've read that the installer simply accepts whichever it encounters first. I don't know enough to know if this is correct or not. If it is true it would seem to be a relatively simple matter to transpose the entries to select the version that something could be directed to.
I'd appreciate feedback before I try any editing.
Thanks, Jim F.