FSX/P3D Effects orientation

Hi,
I am a little stuck with orientation effects. Could someone tell me what it is really because I type values, they are transformed and I do not understand why.
I do not have a satisfactory result. What is the link with the parameters of the emitters in the 'fx' file ? Thank's!
JMC

tgibson

Resource contributor
The MCX orientation numbers in FSX and later act very oddly indeed. Interestingly, in FS2004 they behave perfectly. I have found that you can enter numbers and they seem to act more as increments than as final numbers. So you enter a value and the effect turns by that amount, even though that value is not reflected in the resulting Orientation values.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Basically you enter the heading, pitch and roll of the effect node, but it is relative to the parent node. So that makes it hard to see the total orientation. In the preview you see the direction though.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
No, all the parameters are for the attachpoint only. Things specified in the fx file are applied later. It's relative to the parent node of the attachpoint, which can be another node in the model.

Ok! There are somme things I don't understand. I got a correct effect now with fsx and not showing on P3DV4. maybe another problem, thank's!
JMC

Please can you tell me what colors represent when MCX is showing attached points (RVB). Are "blue" showing"heading", red showing "roll" and green "pitch"?
JMC

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Those are the xyz axes in the same colors as gmax or 3ds max show them. I need to check my code to see which color is which.

I plan to change the rotations you enter to these xyz axes as well, that would be less confusing.

Thank's!
Also it seems to me that some effects are showing in a different way in FSX or P3DV4. Maybe I am wrong, but I have some trouble with that (for example fx_ship_smoke) !
JMC

And it even depends on what update of P3Dv4 you are using! 4.3, 4.4. and 4.5 act differently in as far as effects are concerned.
Trying to figure it out also. You are not alone.