• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Planner Release 21 now available (July 22)

Hi all,

I'm very happy to annouce that FSX Planner release 21 is now available. We have spent a lot of time working on this one to get one particular aspect working well. That aspect is SimConnect. FSX Planner is now integrated with FSX. We hope that it is intuitive and easy to use. I'm sure you'll all let us know what you think!

New in this release:
* FSX Planner now connects to FSX via SimConnect. FSX Planner uses a java library to connect to FSX. (It is available here and is a fantastic library: http://lc0277.nerim.net/jsimconnect.) FSX Planner supports both local and remote connections. FSX Planner will still run just fine without FSX being present (you just won't be able to connect to FSX obviously). A brief overview of how to use the SimConnect funtionality of FSX Planner follows.

-The SimConnect.xml file must be placed in the C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX folder for FSX Planner to access FSX. This is needed for both local or remote connections. The ip address and port number used in FSX Planner must match the ones specified in the xml file. If a SimConnect.xml file already exists in the folder, then make sure it contains the appropriate information.

-To connect to FSX select SimConnect -> FSX Connection Status. Then make sure the ip address and port number are set properly to match those in your SimConnect.xml file. Then click connect. If all goes well FSX Planner should connect instantly to FSX.

-The position of the FSX plane is displayed within FSX Planner by a small plane icon. You can display this even if you are not connected to FSX. Choose SimConnect -> Show Plane (or right click anywhere on the airport and choose "Show Plane"). The plane icon can be set to any of the default FSX planes. Each one is drawn to approximately the correct size giving you an idea of how much space the plane needs. (The sizes are accurate to within a foot).

-Right click options explained:
Move Cursor To FSX Plane: This will center the airport over the current location of the plane from FSX. The plane icon will be repositioned to the correct lat/lon and heading as well. You need to have loaded a flight within FSX for a valid position to be read from FSX. If the plane is outside of the airport test radius then it will not be displayed.

Move FSX Plane To Icon: This will move the plane within FSX to the current lat/lon and heading of the plane icon as it is currently positioned within FSX Planner.

Move Plane To Here: This will move both the plane icon in FSX Planner and the plane within FSX to the current location of the cursor. If you are not connected to FSX, then only the plane icon in FSX Planner will be moved.

-There are two checkbox options in the Plane Data properties display. They are:
FSX Plane auto follows cursor: This option will update the position of the plane within FSX whenever you drag the plane icon within FSX Planner. The position of the plane within FSX is updated when you release the mouse button.

Cursor auto follows FSX plane: This will recenter the airport over the current position of the plane within FSX and update FSX Planner's plane icon to the correct lat/lon and heading of the plane from FSX whenever the plane moves in FSX. This is useful if you want to slew around your airport and have that position constantly updated in FSX Planner. The location of the plane is sampled and updated once a second.

It is probably not a good idea to check both of these at the same time.

-If you have problems getting SimConnect to work first check your ip address and ports from FSX Planner and the SimConnect.xml file. They must be the same. Then make sure your SimConnect.xml file is located in the correct folder, as stated above. FSX must obviously be running for a connection to be established.

* Hold short lines are now displayed on taxiways.

* Object Locking has been implemented. This dialog, located under Edit -> Object Locking, allows you to specify which objects should be locked. A locked object cannot be dragged, enabling you to prevent objects from being unintentionally moved. A locked object will have its lat/lon coordinates displayed in a text field with a red background. A locked object may still be moved by manually typing in new lat/lon coordinates.

* There is now a Create Image button in the Background Image dialog. This will display the zBlueSoftware FSX Planner maps page with the map centered over the current airport.

* Adjusted the zoom in and out tools so that they zoom in and out on the location that was clicked.

Bug Fixes:
* The boundary fence, blast fence and apron edge light tools would sometimes not start or select new fences if another fence was currently selected without clicking multiple times to clear the currently selected fence. This has been fixed.

* Fixed a bug that caused some of the VASI light spacing to be drawn inaccurately at certain zoom levels.

* Fixed a bug that caused the edge lines of taxiway paths to be drawn even if the taxiway path type was not being displayed.

* Fixed a bug with the zoom functionality that caused the airport to shift to one side when at maximum zoom.

You can download this release here: http://www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner/download.cfm (Note the new URL)

-Russell

Russell
I downloaded the new program and installed it by extracting it to the existing FSPlanner folder overwriting the old. I started FSX and went to an airport and tried to connect. I checked that the SimConnect.xml file was in the C:\Documents and Setting\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX and I placed the file from FSPLaner there after renaming the old one. I tried to connect, It would not connect. I looked in the xml and copied the address and port numbers down and tried again with the 127.0.0.1 address. it did not connect.
I tried again with the 192.168.1.100 address, it did not connect.
I looked in the cfg file and tried the 10.1.0.6 address found there and it still did not connect.
What am I doing wrong?
Joe W.

Russell
I downloaded the new program and installed it by extracting it to the existing FSPlanner folder overwriting the old. I started FSX and went to an airport and tried to connect. I checked that the SimConnect.xml file was in the C:\Documents and Setting\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX and I placed the file from FSPLaner there after renaming the old one. I tried to connect, It would not connect. I looked in the xml and copied the address and port numbers down and tried again with the 127.0.0.1 address. it did not connect.
I tried again with the 192.168.1.100 address, it did not connect.
I looked in the cfg file and tried the 10.1.0.6 address found there and it still did not connect.
What am I doing wrong?
Joe W.

Hmm, let's see.
What port number are you using? (I'm not looking at it right now but I think the default is 48477 or something similar)

You did place the SimConnect.xml in your documents and settings folder, and not a different one by accident? (There are sometime more than one user folder in there)

The ip address specified in FSX Planner matches the one in SimConnect.xml?

You don't have anything else installed that could possibly be preventing this from connecting?

Do you have the SimConnect debug info window open? If so does it say anything when you try to connect? (such as an error)?

-Russell

Yes ... it's in the right folder. I can copy and paste your xml to the one there and I loose Instant Scenery. If I open the xml in XMLNotepad it get an error about a "line 19 error"
If I remove what I copied from you xml I get Instant Scenery back. I never did anything to that program. Somehow . What I'm placing in the xml from yours, it's conflicting with the Instant Scenery protion or it's just not loading.
Joe W.

New desired functions

Hi, Russell

The background image is a happy idea from you, although sometimes the stock airport could not be well adjusted to the image. It´s up to the user if he/she wants to modify.

But, I would remember you that the to draw lines (runways, taxiways, aprons boundaries, etc) and align points (parkings) we need references lines, that could show directions, angles and distances (as there is in AFCAD).

Besides, another point I would like to see implemented is the power for show up library´s objects (footprints, orientation, dimensions, guid or name) and the ability to move them around the airport and/or add them, too.

Thanks for your attention,

José

Yes ... it's in the right folder. I can copy and paste your xml to the one there and I loose Instant Scenery. If I open the xml in XMLNotepad it get an error about a "line 19 error"
If I remove what I copied from you xml I get Instant Scenery back. I never did anything to that program. Somehow . What I'm placing in the xml from yours, it's conflicting with the Instant Scenery protion or it's just not loading.
Joe W.

Yeah - I have noticed that error now too. The comment on that line ends with ---> instead of -->. So that is probably why removing that line fixes your issues with other add-ons.

So you do need to modify that line in the SimConnect.xml file. A new SimConnect.xml is located here http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38639&postcount=19

So with that fixed, are you able to connect to FSX?

-Russell

Last edited:
Hi, Russell

The background image is a happy idea from you, although sometimes the stock airport could not be well adjusted to the image. It´s up to the user if he/she wants to modify.

But, I would remember you that the to draw lines (runways, taxiways, aprons boundaries, etc) and align points (parkings) we need references lines, that could show directions, angles and distances (as there is in AFCAD).

that's on the list.

Besides, another point I would like to see implemented is the power for show up library´s objects (footprints, orientation, dimensions, guid or name) and the ability to move them around the airport and/or add them, too.

We have thought about this as well. However, as this is getting quite complex, we are thinking that it would be a separate FSX Planner Pro version which would then be payware (if the interest is there).

-Russell

Yeah - I have noticed that error now too. The comment on that line ends with ---> instead of -->. So that is probably why removing that line fixes your issues with other add-ons.

So you do need to modify that line in the SimConnect.xml file. Attached is a new SimConnect.xml with that line fixed.

So with that fixed, are you able to connect to FSX?

-Russell

Actually the XML you have posted here seems to be faulty. It can't be opened by Explorer or XML Notepad. So, I replaced this file with the originally distributed one in FSXPlanner.zip and now opens.

See that I haven't tried yet any connection with FSX. I am still confused with the three types of connections available and their address's.
I want to look at the other new features before going for a FSX connection.

Jorge

Actually the XML you have posted here seems to be faulty. It can't be opened by Explorer or XML Notepad. So, I replaced this file with the originally distributed one in FSXPlanner.zip and now opens.

See that I haven't tried yet any connection with FSX. I am still confused with the three types of connections available and their address's.
I want to look at the other new features before going for a FSX connection.

Jorge

I posted a new one here http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38639&postcount=19 that seems to be working for most people now.

-Russell

Hey Russell (or anyone else who can help)....perhaps a stupid question but im pretty sure its why I cant connect and i cant seem to find the answer

The required JS library that you refer to, where does that get installed?? With the JS installation? With the FSX planner installation??

Cheers in advance

The folder could be hidden

Hi,

You need to find the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Normally, that folder is hidden, so you should make it visible.

When you find the folder, just copy the file SimConnnect.xml to.

Open FSX and FSXP and make the connection.

Regards,

José

Creating new airport using FSX Planner

Hey guys im new i just signed up i d/l FSXPlanner yesterday and made a small airport but i had to open the La Guardia Example one and delete everty thing because it wouldn't let me start a new one, can some one help???

Hey guys im new i just signed up i d/l FSXPlanner yesterday and made a small airport but i had to open the La Guardia Example one and delete everty thing because it wouldn't let me start a new one, can some one help???

Can you give a bit more detail on what you mean by it wouldn't let you start a new airport? Did you select File -> New Airport?

-Russell

Sorry about that, heres what my brother and i have done just let me know if i've done anything wrong
View attachment 2536
To get the new airport thing up i clicked File>New Airport
i also tried pressing Ctrl+N

And do you have a program that can modify FSX Terrain?

Last edited:
Sorry about that, heres what my brother and i have done just let me know if i've done anything wrong
View attachment 2536
To get the new airport thing up i clicked File>New Airport
i also tried pressing Ctrl+N

And do you have a program that can modify FSX Terrain?

We have identified a bug that got into release 21 which caused the New Airport dialog to fail when you try to create a new airport. This has been fixed for the next release. So you are not doing anything wrong.

-Russell

Russell,

Please forgive me if the following has been resolved but I have been out of the loop due to a system rebuild!!

Flight1 has today announced the release of their 'engine' to manipulate Airport data as FSPlanner does.

Now, over in the AVSIM forums I was active in trying to solve a puzzle outlined in the following question that has been sent to Flight1 this morning:-

-- start of question to Flight1--
Below is a very specific question so please read carefully the following background information!

I have been involved in some development work relating to the manipulation of default FSX airport data files with particular reference to changing of runway designators at EGCC (Manchester International, UK) from 06/24 to 05/23 (due to magnetic drift).

The problem which seemed to become insurmountable was that although the numbers could be changed and all associated taxiways, approaches taxi signs etc. etc. the ATIS and ATC failed to recognize any change in wind direction and always used Rwy05 for the ATIS ticker AND the default runway.

My question is - when carrying out the above to a default airport using the new AFX utility are these matters addressed correctly and displayed/acted upon accordingly by MSFSX?

Thank you for your time.
-- end --

What I need to know is if this particular problem has been overcome by FSPlanner??

One last thing; I found the update thread we talked about, subscribed to same and duly found v20 - I then found a later thread cover v21???????:stirthepo

Cheers,

Russell,

Please forgive me if the following has been resolved but I have been out of the loop due to a system rebuild!!

Flight1 has today announced the release of their 'engine' to manipulate Airport data as FSPlanner does.

Now, over in the AVSIM forums I was active in trying to solve a puzzle outlined in the following question that has been sent to Flight1 this morning:-

-- start of question to Flight1--
Below is a very specific question so please read carefully the following background information!

I have been involved in some development work relating to the manipulation of default FSX airport data files with particular reference to changing of runway designators at EGCC (Manchester International, UK) from 06/24 to 05/23 (due to magnetic drift).

The problem which seemed to become insurmountable was that although the numbers could be changed and all associated taxiways, approaches taxi signs etc. etc. the ATIS and ATC failed to recognize any change in wind direction and always used Rwy05 for the ATIS ticker AND the default runway.

My question is - when carrying out the above to a default airport using the new AFX utility are these matters addressed correctly and displayed/acted upon accordingly by MSFSX?

Thank you for your time.
-- end --

What I need to know is if this particular problem has been overcome by FSPlanner??

One last thing; I found the update thread we talked about, subscribed to same and duly found v20 - I then found a later thread cover v21???????:stirthepo

Cheers,

I have heard about this flight1 product too. It seems like they either bought or copied afcad. I am curious to know how many people would be willing to purchase a product when there is one out there for free that does the same thing.

Regarding your question of the runways, I have not tested that in FSX Planner, so can't give you answer either way. I'd have to look into it more to determine what happens.

-Russell

Hi, Russell

It seems like they either bought or copied afcad.-Russell

Certainly, I will not buy that product, but it could be successful exactly for being "like" AFCAD, a before successful tool.

Regards,

José

Back