• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Planner Release 26 Now Available (October 1st)

Hi all,

Release 26 of FSX Planner is now available. This release is mainly aimed at two improvements in FSX Planner. The first is to do with the bgl file decompile process, and the second is to do with simconnect.

Hopefully these changes will make FSX Planner faster and easier for everyone.

Here are the changes:
* The SimConnect functionality has been improved. When connecting to FSX runnning on the same computer as FSX Planneer, the SimConnect.xml file is no longer necessary. FSX Planner will determine the correct port and automatically connect on that port. To use this option, select the Local Connection radio button in the FSX Connection Status dialog, and make sure the Specify Port checkbox is not ticked.
NOTE:
You still have the choice to use the SimConnect.xml file if you prefer, or if FSX Planner is unable to locate the correct port. Remote connections still require the use of the SimConnect.xml file.
VISTA USERS:
Note that Vista users will need to run FSX Planner using the Run As Administrator option in order for this new option to work properly.

* Improved handling of memory during the decompiling process so that less memory is required to decompile the file.

* Significantly increased the speed with which stock airports are opened through the Find Airport dialog.

* Parking locations now display the gate name and number, parking location type and airline codes when you zoom in close enough. This make it easy to quickly see if the parking location is assigned correctly without having to select it.

Bug fixes:
* Fixed a bug that prevented certain navigation aids, such as NDBs and VORs, as well as certain scenery items such as windsocks, from being properly displayed at some airports.

* Fixed bug which caused memory not to be reclaimed after opening large bgl files.

You can update to the latest version, by using the built in updater, or by downloading the update here: www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner/FSXPlanner.zip

-Russell

Last edited:
We discovered a bug with the auto discovery of the SimConnect port that may effect some people. We have fixed this and posted a new release 26. If you downloaded release 26 on October 1st or 2nd and are experiencing issues with the auto discovery of the SimConnect port (FSX Planner will say that FSX is not running when it actually is), then we suggest redownloading the latest release and reinstalling it.

-Russell

is there gonna be an option in the future to save the bgl? currently there is just save xml.

thanks

is there gonna be an option in the future to save the bgl? currently there is just save xml.

thanks

You can compile to a bgl.

There will not be an option to save to a bgl, as our philosophy is that the xml file is the source file, and the bgl file is a compiled file. This is echoed, we believe, in the Microsoft SDK which is written around using xml files as the source file and bgl files as the final compiled product.

There are multiple xml files that can compile to a single bgl file, but the reverse is not true. A bgl file can only decompile to one xml file. So if you save your work as a bgl file, you'd lose things like comments, or formatting, etc of the source xml file. We compare this to the concept of programming in java or c in that you wouldn't continually compile and decompile the .class or dll files. You'd have a source file that you work on and then compile when it is ready.

-Russell

A bug I discovered a while ago and kept forgetting to say anything about: under surface type for runways, there's "Oil_Treated,Planks" instead of (I assume) "Oil_Treated" and "Planks." Since those are two separate taxiway types, I figured they're two different runway types unless I'm just wrong.

We have put out release 26b, which fixes an issue that can cause some very large xml files to be created when performing a standard save. You can update to release 26b, but wither using the File -> Check For Updates option, or by redownloading FSX Planner from the website: www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner

-Russell

A bug I discovered a while ago and kept forgetting to say anything about: under surface type for runways, there's "Oil_Treated,Planks" instead of (I assume) "Oil_Treated" and "Planks." Since those are two separate taxiway types, I figured they're two different runway types unless I'm just wrong.

I believe that it is one option, as in 'oil treated planks'. The SDK has it on one line. I'm not sure why there is a comma in it though, but that is also how the SDK has it listed.

-Russell

Back