• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX SDK fail to install in Win10

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi,
I have bought a new computer with Win10 but I cannot install FSX SDK. Everytime I run setup.exe and I end up with 1628 failed to complete installation. I have google about that but nothing help at all. I have got to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32 and do the trick in iDriver.exe, iDriver2.exe and iDriverT.exe to run as administrator. Nothing helps, still the same. Do you know how to install FSX SDK in Win10?

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Try placing all of the SDK exe & associated files on to your HD and run it from there (with admin rights).

Country
us-texas
Didn't W10 come with DX12? Tha's my worry switching to W10 DX12, that I will gain access to 64bit V5 but lose access to V3/V4. Oh well.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Yes... I believe it did come with... v4 works fine for me.. why wouldn't?

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
I have FSX, P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5 and the relevant SDKs all in a side-by-side installation on a Windows 10 machine. None of them are giving any trouble. As for development... #ifdef is about to become your new best friend. By use of just three flags I can tell the compiler which sim it is to run the current compilation for.

Country
us-texas
I upgraded to W10/DX12 this weekend....no issues at all. SDK is at the same spot it was previous to conversion. FSX runs fine......still slow as hell.

Country
somalia
Hi,
I have bought a new computer with Win10 but I cannot install FSX SDK. Everytime I run setup.exe and I end up with 1628 failed to complete installation. I have google about that but nothing help at all. I have got to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32 and do the trick in iDriver.exe, iDriver2.exe and iDriverT.exe to run as administrator. Nothing helps, still the same. Do you know how to install FSX SDK in Win10?

Country
unitedkingdom
hi
i downloaded the 1.4 version last night and the config.exe and other ones like that will not work how do fix this problem

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
hi
i downloaded the 1.4 version last night and 0the config.exe and other ones like that will not work how do fix this problem

What application are you trying to load with SDK P3D v1.4? Forget about the config.exe you will not need it.

Country
australia
Something you can try:

Windows 10 now has Ransomware Protection where your Documents folder is blocked from any alteration, in addition to other special folders.
Since you have a new computer this will come as set ON.
Most FSX apps were made BEFORE this and so you will very often find the message that the install did not complete. This is because the install tries to alter/write some file to your Documents and the Ransomware protection is blocking it.

Once you know this it is an easy fix.
In Win 10 open your settings and type in the search box : rans that should be enough as a dropdown list will appear.
Select "Ransomware Protection" and see as below.

RansomewareProtection.jpg

Switch "Controlled folder access" to Off and now install the software. You should not get that message and the software should install properly.
Another problem is you may find that the app, once started, tries to write some .cfg or something to the same /Documents folder and will fail. In this case you will have to do the same toggle.
Switch it off and once the app has started, and written once it will be allowed to write after that.
DO NOT FORGET TO TURN THE RANSOMWARE PROTECTION BACK ON!!

I had a lot of problems with installs failing till I figured this out.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Something you can try:

Windows 10 now has Ransomware Protection where your Documents folder is blocked from any alteration, in addition to other special folders.
Most FSX apps were made BEFORE this and so you will very often find the message that the install did not complete. This is because the install tries to alter/write some file to your Documents and the Ransomware protection is blocking it.

In Win 10 open your settings and type in the search box : rans that should be enough as a dropdown list will appear.

View attachment 59775
Switch "Controlled folder access" to Off and now install the software. You should not get that message and the software should install properly.
Another problem is you may find that the app, once started, tries to write some .cfg or something to the same /Documents folder and will fail. In this case you will have to do the same toggle.
Switch it off and once the app has started, and written once it will be allowed to write after that.

Thanks. There are always something new that we have to learn everyday indeed.
I have a lot of customers complaint that they could not install SODE. I didn't know why. Then I found out later that they didn't know how to run "as administrator" when they want to install some programs. Those programs need to write something on C:\ which is protected by Windows. This is not written on the user guide either.

Country
australia
Yes. I recently found that I was not able to save my flights from FSX into the normal location which is c:\users\<me>\Documents. I kept getting a notification "failed to access Disk0\ by Run32.dll" every time I started FSX. I added Run32.dll to the allowed app list in Ransomware Protection but still could not save. I then added FSX.exe to the allowed list in Ransomware and all is well now.
This Ransomware trap is new to windows 1909 because of all the Ransomware that was affecting all computers. FSX does not know about that so ...

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

bernb -
Many thanks for mentioning the W10 Ransomware Protection mechanism,
No longer being a W10 user, I'd been unaware of its existence or capabilities.

I'd received a user-report at the weekend that our ODG_Configurator was failing,
and from the user's info, it was obviously unable to write the appropriate settings.

Thanks again.

Forget about the config.exe you will not need it.
Pyscen -
My apologies if I've misunderstood you here.

Is config.exe a P3D SDK specific tool,
or were you referring to configSDK.exe ?

If configSDK.exe
Anyone who's installed the SDK must run configSDK.exe
as it both -
- Populates 11 off SDK tool's *.config files with the appropriate paths
- Adds registry entries, again with the appropriate paths
Especially relevant if the SDK was installed to a non-standard location.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi Folks

bernb -
Many thanks for mentioning the W10 Ransomware Protection mechanism,
No longer being a W10 user, I'd been unaware of its existence or capabilities.

I'd received a user-report at the weekend that our ODG_Configurator was failing,
and from the user's info, it was obviously unable to write the appropriate settings.

Thanks again.

Pyscen -
My apologies if I've misunderstood you here.

Is config.exe a P3D SDK specific tool,
or were you referring to configSDK.exe ?

If configSDK.exe
Anyone who's installed the SDK must run configSDK.exe
as it both -
- Populates 11 off SDK tool's *.config files with the appropriate paths
- Adds registry entries, again with the appropriate paths
Especially relevant if the SDK was installed to a non-standard location.

Yes, I was referring to configSDK.exe. It is a P3D specific tool... as far as I know, they are both P3D specific.
Since you are using it for FSX (and if any user that is using P3D SDK v1.4 for FSX: SE), it isn't required.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Something you can try:

View attachment 59775

I cannot get to Ransomware Protection. How to access that? I need to login as administrator, right? It is a brand new computer with Win10. I need to find out how to do.
I also found that SODE jetway does not work well. Even I have modified the AircraftExit.ini to add more door to the default 747, there still only one door available for SODE jetway. Anything to do about this as well.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
One other thing: whenever you download any compressed file (zip, rar, msi, it doesn't matter),

- right-click on the archive
- select Properties
- select the General tab

In the bottom-right corner check for a security message. If it is there

- check Unblock
- Apply | OK

If you don't do this then the contents of the file will not install correctly. Some parts will install and the operating system will reject anything that can be executed.