• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Steam Edition Compiler

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There was an earlier post about this but in the light of a couple of recent issues I am reposting.

Microsoft did not license the FSX SDK to Dovetail so there are no compilers available. Therefore folks wishing to use ADE with FSX:SE will need to get the SDK from somewhere else. There are two ways
In both cases after you have installed the SDK you will need to point ADE manually to the required paths by going to Settings > Options > Folders tab and using the browse buttons against each compiler

1528008013566.png

Once done Save your changes and restart ADE. Your chosen compiler should now be available.

VERY IMPORTANT
ADE won't stop you from using a later P3D compiler. Please do not be tempted to do this. We have seen several cases recently where the P3D v4 compiler was set in ADE and this results in the compiled airports crashing FSX. Compilers all the have same name BglComp.exe but there are many different versions. Each one can generate a bgl file which will work with the FS version it is intended for but may contain elements that older versions do not understand and will crash the sim.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
This link doesn't take me to the right download anymore, do you know where can I can get the P3D v1.4 SDK from now, I can only fin the later ones here now, any help would be apprecaited

There was an earlier post about this but in the light of a couple of recent issues I am reposting.

Microsoft did not license the FSX SDK to Dovetail so there are no compilers available. Therefore folks wishing to use ADE with FSX:SE will need to get the SDK from somewhere else. There are two ways
  • If you have a FSX boxed edition such as Gold or Acceleration then you can use that SDK
  • Otherwise you will need to download the freely available P3D v1.4 SDK from here: https://www.prepar3d.com/support/sdk/ It is the one at the bottom
In both cases after you have installed the SDK you will need to point ADE manually to the required paths by going to Settings > Options > Folders tab and using the browse buttons against each compiler

View attachment 42322

Once done Save your changes and restart ADE. Your chosen compiler should now be available.

VERY IMPORTANT
ADE won't stop you from using a later P3D compiler. Please do not be tempted to do this. We have seen several cases recently where the P3D v4 compiler was set in ADE and this results in the compiled airports crashing FSX. Compilers all the have same name BglComp.exe but there are many different versions. Each one can generate a bgl file which will work with the FS version it is intended for but may contain elements that older versions do not understand and will crash the sim.

This link doesn't take me to the right download anymore, do you know where can I can get the P3D v1.4 SDK from now

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The link in the first post is now updated

Country
sweden
There is an SDK with the FSX SE. Can be found under the main library FSX. With Core Utilities Kit, Environment Kit, Mission Creation Kit and an SP1a-folder. If this is due to a later update than the rest of this post is refering to I don't know.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
As I understand it that SDK is incomplete and will not be enough?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Tom is correct. The SDK is incomplete and does not have the needed compilers

Country
unitedstates
Sorry if I'm a bit late to the party. The image you posted seems to indicate that the compilers need to be moved to an FSX directory. I have them in the default locations and the ADE tool pointed to them. Am I in error? I've been trying to reproduce my local airport in ADE for FSX-SE and I keep running into exception errors. I tried adding ProKey to just nudge the field over to match the MegaEarth photoreal, but that just immediately crashes.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The location of the tools is not important, except that they shouldn't be located in any Program Files folders due to OS restrictions on files in those folders.

Country
unitedstates
The location of the tools is not important, except that they shouldn't be located in any Program Files folders due to OS restrictions on files in those folders.
Then I'm at a loss to explain this:

"System.Exception: Unknown ID -19968 found in airport record"

ADE seems to be working fine, (except for the ProKey issue above) but when I go to compile, I get that. There's more to the log of course, and I'm still looking thru the forums to see if I can find a match. So far? No Bueno.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
That error is caused by a permission issue by Windows. Right-click on the prokey file and click on properties. Make sure that the "unblock" is checked and click "apply", then close.

There might be other files that need to be "unblock" also.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
That error is caused by a permission issue by Windows. Right-click on the prokey file and click on properties. Make sure that the "unblock" is checked and click "apply", then close.

There might be other files that need to be "unblock" also.
That certainly got it. I'll test and report.

Country
unitedstates
That certainly got it. I'll test and report.
And I'm back to the first error - the system exception. Is there a thread for that one? Failing that I'll just re-do the whole thing from scratch and hope for the best. ADE is certainly an easy program to use...except for this one little problem.
20201212181158_1.jpg
20201212181158_1.jpg

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Where is the P3D v1.4 SDK and ADE installed? What is the error code please?

Country
unitedstates
Where is the P3D v1.4 SDK and ADE installed? What is the error code please?
ADE is C:/MSFS/FS Design Tools/Airport Design Editor 178. The SDK since I'm on FSX-SE is the default location C:/Program Files/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D V5 SDK 5.1.12.26829. I no longer think it's where my SDK is or how it's configured. But, I'll attach the error report below.

Attachments

• bug report.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 181

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
That is the wrong SDK to use for FSX-SE. You need the P3D v1.4 SDK. A link for the correct version is at the top.

Country
unitedstates
That is the wrong SDK to use for FSX-SE. You need the P3D v1.4 SDK. A link for the correct version is at the top.
Still getting the same error code. I think that it's something from the original airport that I converted that isn't making the translation into the new. I've read some pages on making sure that the lists are compiled correctly and that all the links are in the right order before that would work. I'll take a look at that. Thank's Doug. I appreciate the help.

Country
us-texas
For some reason, the current link for the SDK isn't working for me. I click it, and I don't even get an error message. It just doesn't go anywhere....?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Try this: Right-click on and select under new tab. If that doesn't work: try download link after right-clicking on.