• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Steam Edition sale

Country
unitedkingdom
As part of testing of some new software I am developing, I decided last night to buy the FSX Steam Edition and discovered much to my delight that the it has been reduced to £3.99 on a one day sale.

So if you want to get it for almost no money - now's your chance.

Also, FPS using the same, settings, scenery and AI traffic, as in FSX Gold Edition went from 5-6 FPS to 25-30, which is a bonus.

Country
us-arizona
I heard from Dean that they redid some coding to accelerate frame rate performance. I just got it. Having FSX running smoother sounds very nice. :)

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Pete Dowson, of FSUIPC fame, claimed to have had substantial framerate increases with the Steam Edition. I have not had these increases. But then I have an AMD A8 processor with onboard graphics. Those onboard graphics are fine for developers, but probably not so good for simming. Like most of us, I rarely fly. In fact, when I do use the sim, I'm generally slewing, or flying only long enough to check out a solution of some sort. I do have a copy oif the SE version, and I have no problems with it. £3.99 sounds like a good bargain, and more money for Dovetail may mean more investment available to them to develop a new sim.

Dick

Country
us-arizona
Dick,

Mine is running smoother. I can see the difference.

Also, I heard about 2 weeks ago that DoveTail are indeed getting ready to make their own sim.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Have you added any models etc to FSX:SE Bill, or is it just stock models and scenery so far?

Country
us-arizona
Just stock so far, but.......... I purchased a very old Piper Cherokee on sale at Steam by DT to see what it would do, how it worked. I went through the purchase system, used PP, then nothing. I looked around, nothing appeared to be happening. I found a small comment somewhere on Steam that says 'your purchase addon for your game will automatically install'. I decided to exit FSX-S, rebooted it, went to Aircraft, and there was the new Piper Cherokee. No clicking of an installer, no serial numbers to copy/paste in, all done fluid and fast and totally installed for you. This was impressive.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Yeah, but check to see where the .mdl files are located, Bill. You won't find 'em in the usual place. for some reason of their own, DTG has decided they need to be put in a special ..\DLC folder... :yikes:

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
I suspect that the majority of Dovetail' customers don't really care where the files are.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Gerry, that may well be true. However, it plays merry hob with other installers that need to use the existing "default structure" of install paths, such as Flight1's GTN Configuration utility, and dozens of other third-party products.

Country
us-arizona
Yeah, but check to see where the .mdl files are located, Bill. You won't find 'em in the usual place. for some reason of their own, DTG has decided they need to be put in a special ..\DLC folder... :yikes:

Ack....!! Thats a new one. I didnt know you could do that.

I have so far had many customers purchase my planes for Steam FSX and my installer finds it ok and all shows up properly. So far, so good.

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
Gerry, that may well be true. However, it plays merry hob with other installers that need to use the existing "default structure" of install paths, such as Flight1's GTN Configuration utility, and dozens of other third-party products.

Aren't they the 3rd developers' problems?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Oh, absolutely Gerry. Unfortunately, it will make it nearly impossible for them to solve.

By the way, the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning, or at least I believe that to be true. YMMV of course.

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
But, in this context, some developers seem to wish the sun would rise the west.

Country
germany
No problem at all.
I actually bought a piper from Steam and some from 3rd party (a2a and similar) and they all work very well.
I can even use the DLC plane without any issues in air hauler.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
You can put all aircraft files in the airplanes folder just as in other FSX versions.
Well yes you can do just that. It begs the question though as to why DTG felt it needed to have their DLC aircraft installed using such a weird and non-standard folder scheme... o_O