• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXKML - Water exclude and new island coastline not working

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Hello there,

I've encountered a problem with FSXKML, which I am unable to solve. I am trying to change the coastline of an island, simple as that. I created a .kml file with one large polygon with the tag 'Exclude_Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perennial' and a second one, the new coastline, with the tag 'Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perennial'. After importing them to Google Earth 5.1 (the old version) the shapes are alright and everything seems to be in order. However, after compiling the water is excluded but the new coastline cuts through the terrain which results in a huge water filled hole. I've tried reversing the vertices, checked for 0 coordinates. The weird thing is, that sometimes it works ok, though I have no idea whats wrong.

Please see the images attached.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

• FSXKML.JPG
    FSXKML.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 562
  • Hole in the Ground.jpg
    Hole in the Ground.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 521
I don't use FSX KML, but it seems to be doing what you have instructed it to do. So let's work from the basics, OK?

In FSX the entire world is land and upon that land is laid water data. So you want to make a better appearance of the (existing) land that makes up the island. To accomplish that, you need to make better water that sits around the island. Think of what you have done, being 1.) exclude the water that is already there and 2.) make a water area that sits on top of what use to be an island.

It's not a difficult fix to correct things, though as mentioned above I don't work with FSX KML, I work with SBuilderX. The areas that you are drawing become part of a shapefile, that is used by one of the SDK compilers. The simple solution would be to draw an additional large polygon that adds Generic Ocean Perennial and then mark that inner polygon as a hole within the larger poly that adds back the water. In tech'ier terms the large polygon to add water back is called the Parent polygon and the land formation area inside would be called the Child polygon.

If you can't find the proper method to correct things within FSX KML, maybe someone else can help on some of the steps involved. Or if you want to try within SBuilderX, I can offer further guidance.

Hi,

In your KML you have not defined a coastline but a 'Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perennial'. I think it should read ' shorelines_generic_ocean_perennial'.