FTX OpenLC and Ground Polys

Interestingly, I've traced a scenery issue back to the OpenLC addon (apparently this addon doesn't work and play well with others). In my most recent encounter, I've created an airstrip using the landclass_Dirt in SbuilderX and it was replaced with what appears to be an urban landclass rather than the dirt runway I expected (see photo). By inactivating the 3 OpenLCNA files I get my dirt runway back.

I've placed my scenery and library at the top of the priority list (p3dv4.4), yet OpenLC seems to take priority over my addon scenery - but for only that particular landclass - the sandy beach in the same scene appears correctly.

I'm no expert at this stuff, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get my scenery to show correctly without having to disable OpenLC?

Thanks,

John
Untitled.jpg

christopherbritton

Resource contributor
You may try to find the original dirt texture within your sim's default scenery folder. (The Global/texture folder, I believe?) and include it in your airport's texture folder. As long as your scenery is above OpenLC, it should normally use that texture.

I've not been able to locate the LC_Dirt texture, and I'm thinking it's compiled into a library (I believe it's just a standard texture in both p3d and fsx). It would seem to me that, since the texture appears after I disable OpenLC scenery, that the texture exists but is being preempted by the OpenLC addon - that must somehow be overriding the normal library priority.

Thanks,

John

I don't have P3D but in my Flight Simulator 10/Texture folder there are two image files that look like they could be the runway dirt texture. They are runway64.bmp and runway65.bmp. They look exactly the same in when opened in Gimp.

Ed

Hello:

1.) In SBuilderX:

a.) Load the above project back into SBuilderX from its *.SBP project file

b.) Select the polygon you mapped with LC_Dirt texture < SBuilderX polygon vertices are shown highlighted in Green >

c.) Right-click one of that selected polygon objects vertices or poly-lines < context menu pops up >

d.) In the context menu pop-up, choose Properties < SBuilderX Polygon Properties dialog opens >

e.) In SBuilderX Polygon Properties dialog, click on [ Vector Polys ] tab

f.) Scroll in GUID pick-list and select Type 121: LC_DIRT

g.) With Type 121 - LC_DIRT selected, click the [Info] button above the GUID pick-list < Description from FSX / Terrain.Cfg pops up >

h.) Note that "Textures = DIRT" is listed in that SBuilderX pop-up message box

2.) Browse to: [P3D install path]\Texture sub-folder (...this info is based on the FSX folder structures; change paths as needed for P3Dv4.x ;))

a.) Copy <Ctrl+C> the FSX default (legacy format) texture otherwise used by default P3D for LC_DIRT ...into the Windows clipboard:

[P3D install path]\Texture\dirt.r8

b.) Paste <Ctrl+V< from the clipboard, the texture mapped to your polygon object ...to your SBuilderX output scenery project \Texture folder

NOTE: The target \Texture sub-folder must be 'paired' with a \Scenery folder containing the CVX vector polygon BGL compiled by SBuilderX

SBuilderX' output scenery project \Texture folder and \Scenery folder must be nested under a top folder ex: named for the project ICAO etc.

3.) In P3D Scenery Library GUI: (This is the legacy procedure of adding custom scenery; LM prefers use of "Addon XML" methods now !:idea: )

a.) Create a new layer for your scenery project folder chain via "[Add Area]" button

b.) Be certain to position your scenery project in the FSX Scenery Library GUI stack of Area layers ...above any layers for FTX OpenLC

FYI: By default, FTX Central utility alway re-inserts FTX layers to a position at- / near the top of- P3D Scenery Library GUI stack of layers. :alert:

In addition to substituting 'custom' texture images for P3D 'default' texture images (under their same original file name) that will be used to map onto custom CVX Land Class objects, your OrbX FTX OpenLC scenery package may add custom entries to the 'active' Terrain.Cfg which need to be retained by that file in order for those scenery region packages to be able to display the FTX custom scenery as intended by the developers.

By default, in the FTX Central configuration utility which is run automatically following installation of the above cited OrbX FTX scenery packages, when activating the ex: OrbX FTX "North America" mode:

* Custom entries are added to the 'active' Terrain.Cfg if they are not already present.

* Several OrbX FTX scenery Area layers are added to the 'top' position of the 'active' FS Scenery Library GUI stack of layers.

BTW: When SBuilderX substitutes the "Modified Terrain.Cfg", existing custom OrbX FTX entries are no longer in the 'active' copy of Terrain.Cfg if the Orbx FTX entries already in that file are more recent than what is provided by the Terrain.Cfg installed by SBuilderX (which AFAIK has not been updated since it was released by Richard Ludowise and Luis Feliz-Tirado in November 2006).

Manually running OrbX FTX Central utility and toggling between "default FSX" and "North America" mode restores the proprietary custom entries to the 'active' Terrain.Cfg.

IIRC, this should leave the existing content of the "Modified Terrain.Cfg" intact aside from a few minor "RenderPriority" value changes generally regarded by the FS development community as compatible with both default and custom scenery display.

IMHO, one might remedy this by installing "Modified Terrain.Cfg", then immediately afterwards, manually run OrbX FTX Central utility. :idea:

PS: Because by default, OrbX FTX scenery Area layers are added to the 'top' position of the P3D Scenery Library GUI, custom scenery may not render properly (if at all), so one should allow for non-OrbX add-on or personally-created custom scenery to be loaded later by placing them above the OrbX FTX scenery Area layers ...at- or nearer to- the 'top' position of the FS Scenery Library GUI.

However, each time OrbX FTX Central utility is run and one activates the OrbX FTX "North America" mode, OrbX FTX scenery Area layers are again automatically added to the 'top' position of the 'active' FS Scenery Library GUI stack of layers by default.

One can change that default behavior of OrbX FTX Central utility by configuring the OrbX FTX scenery Area layers to be automatically placed at a lower position in the 'active' FS Scenery Library GUI stack of layers by:

OrbX FTX Central Menu > Tools > Scenery Library Configuration > FTX Scenery Library Insertion Points

NOTE: Newer versions of OrbX FTX Central utility may be subject to a different menu / dialog configurations :alert:

This results in an assigned position, above which, the OrbX FTX scenery Area layers will 'never' be inserted ...until a new Insertion Point is assigned within that FTX Central utility dialog.

Hope this info helps with the learning process. :santahat:

GaryGB

Last edited: