• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Fun to see you all again

Congrats for keeping flightsim development alive for 3rd parties! And best of luck with this new beast. As I get older, I get less tolerant of how things seem to work nowadays, and of course, nobody cares.

I would never produce a product and sell it, only to ruin some of my customer's experience with a development path. Or, if I did, I'd let the customer continue to enjoy his purchase without the added development if his system isn't good enough. But alas, this group has no such interest, and the people with good but aging vid cards are few. But I would never have ruined my experience without consideration like these guys did.

I am a big fan of the technology. My jaw dropped at the beauty of this new sim. Too bad nobody cares.

Having said that, the continued work on simulation has brought the concept a long way. Maybe that's a bit of an issue for me as well. The better the game represents reality out of the box, the less inspired I've been to decorate it. My last meaningful scenery was for fs9. Its made me think why. When I began with AFS2, we had a black grid with 2d mountains on the edge. I love it. I made up the idea of a long flight when I found out the grid would repeat if I flew away from the grid far enough. Funny huh. Then, BAO made scenery for ms3 that was green! I love it. I think that was the version I began designing for, with dos based "Airport". By then, I'd learned to fly for real, and my SEL rating was taken from an FBO at Boeing Field, KBFI. Now the sim was my practice sandbox. I could preview or postview my actual flying, which was really fun and educational. BUT...the vfr reporting points weren't there! That was my first effort with AIRPORT, adding the "reservoir", and the VA hospital.

As we all know the sim became more and more like reality, but I found the better it was out of the box, the less there was for me to do. And I'll tell you, to find fault or find stuff that should be improved in fs2020,takes more effort than before, its just that good. Finally (before going to vid card jail) I landed at one of my old projects, FisrtAir field in Monroe, Wa. Its TERRIBLE! Aha, something I can contribute, but only to find that support for my final "perpetual" license of 3dsmax is SUPPOSED to be supported, but it isn't. Such a struggle without any results.

Then the nail in the coffin, their vastly annoying policy of weekly updates that take hours to download and the user is forced to do the update.

Still, the beauty of that sim....sheesh I was putting up with all the pain. UNTIL....their 5th "update" with forced me to either spend big bucks, or live without the weather.

That was it. I'd been flying the 152 only, because it was the only plane they gave me that had the older gauges. It was slow enough to bore me. But I don't like the garmen display system, never have, and never will.

So, I think I've concluded that for me, as the sim got prettier, the motivation for adding decoration receded. I still find the business interface between this sim and its users to be absurd. I also am potentially the only one of my kind, making nobody care. But I fly as I always have, around my home territory mostly, and with gauges of old. The expensive versions provided more planes with garmen displays that won't get flown, and more scenery in places I won't go. So I only spent the minimum. The only positive is a smaller negative, who knew this company would withdraw the pleasure of their sim from those of us old timers.

Why not upgrade the vid card? I considered it, but first I took a fine flight in p3d just for kicks. Whooo Hoooo back in the cockpit of my favorite plane, the complex 182 trainer from Carendo. And flying over a less pretty world, but the operation of the aircraft was sweet and predictable. The controls were second nature, and the experience was lovely. Without buying a video card. Oh, and guess what? No hours of downloading required.

I do miss the beauty of fs2020, but I don't spend much time flying, and for my little kick of a now and then flight, less pretty but far better aircraft will suffice. I'll keep my eyes open, and if I ever upgrade the video for another reason, I'll surely try this one again. Of course, if they develop non-stop, the probability is they'll make whatever I upgrade to obsolete in the future.

Its like you signed up for perpetual spending by paying them $69. Sounds a bit like Autodesk.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Bob,

Good to see you are still around, I hope you are doing well.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
No doubt this a still a beta product. Quite undeveloped in some areas. But, as of now Microsoft claims they have sold 2,000,000 copies. So this now is a developer's gold mine. Lots of customers. But not everyone's cup of tea. Many new things to learn, and Asobo is still developing the SDK.

this is a funny one, huh Dick? Interesting....flight sim developed using a really imaginative approach that worked really well for certain things. I love the idea of remotely assembling imagery and the autogen is spectacular. I must admit to finding fault with their business practice, of taking away from me the experience of their weather engine, without offering me an exit ramp from future development. I suppose they simply never imagined anyone would be happy with that, since so much is not working right atm.

I want to never fly it again, but I am drawn to appearance of Seattle. Its awful to have no clouds, ever....and to only have one a/c to fly (I hate the effort to use the g1000, everything is just too small for my aging eyes). Flew last night in the ol 152 from Bellingham for a san Juan island tour, but the experience became boring. The weather really helps add interest and challenge. A rare event for me to stop a flight without landing, but its not logical to spend my time at a computer trying not to be bored while clipping along at a simulated 100 kts, while the screen seems to never change.

I used the word trainer, as I looked into what a variable speed prop and retractable gears were doing on a skylane. Turns out they were employed to train pilots on complex operations.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk