FSX:SE functional GMAX operation with FSX SE

Hello All, I'm having trouble navigating the various info i can find regarding the installation and function of Gmax in relation to FSX SE.

I want to get a working version of gmax so that i can create scenery for FSX SE

Some background info:

I've had previous installs of gmax and FS over the years... in the past was able to create scenery and put into FS with no problem.. i still think i'm familiar with the process (maybe a little rusty)

I am aware of the FS SDK issues (being incomplete) and i think i have a fundamental understanding that the p3d 1.4 sdk will work as substitute.

So far: Here's what i've been able to do :

* I've got gmax installed and the program opens up - I even have the "fs tools" in the menu bar.

* i get an error box that appears at loading "no execute function for undefined"

* I click Ok and the box goes away - everything seems functional Until i try to export an object (simple box with no texture)

* i can create a box - save it and then go to export... It gives me the option to "save as an .mdl" - i name it and hit ok....

* i get a message box about "mixed materials" fsx yes fs9 no - i hit yes

*gmax pops up a dialog box " flight simulator model export options" - I hit OK

*gmax returns with 3 boxes 1st "no guid set" 2nd "no friendly name set" 3rd "export module failure"

After that, I'm right back where i started... no other errors or crash...

I know that i've got to be close to functionality - because it seems as tho - things are nearly there... however - a LOT of conflicting info (with regard to different versions etc) has got me totally confused...

If anyone out there could help or advise - it would be greatly appreciated.. Again - I know i've got to be close to getting this solved....

Thanks !

John Walker

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

1. You need to set a GUID value using FSTools/LODName Tool. Click the button "Create new GUID for this"
2. Enter a friendly name for this object (anything will do). Click Go.
3. Now try to Export.

Tom Thanks for the reply - However that does not seem to be the problem...

I can get to the FS tools in the menu , but when i go to click on LODname tool - an error box pops up this time with the message "no + function for undefined" (maxscript macroscript error exception)

gmax 1.JPG

n4gix

Resource contributor
How do you start your GMax? The FSX SDK has a shortcut for GMax cleverly named "FSX_GMax" that invoked GMax with a bunch of important start up data.

Try creating a new Shortcut with this in the Target box:
%GMAXLOC%gmax.exe -i gamepacks\FSX_GMaxGamepack\gmax.ini -p gamepacks\FSX_GMaxGamepack\plugin.ini

and this in the Start in box:
%GMAXLOC%

I did just try your suggestion of making a new shortcut and it was exactly the same result as using the one in the gamepack folder. no luck..

n4gix

Resource contributor
John, is that from the FSX SDK? As you said the FSX:SE SDK is incomplete. Make certain that you have all of these files in your FSX_GmaxGamePack folder: