Future Direction For SDE

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
There are now two client applications using SDE - the TestApp (GUI) and Bgl2Xml (Command Line). So in all there are really three packages:

1 SDE
2 Bgl2Xml
3 TestApp

I am expecting to start work on another client application shortly. I would like to get views on how things should go in the future.

SDE is really the engine so I plan to use that only to refer to the engine in future.

I will give future Client applications developed by me their own names.

I am thinking about how best to distribute client applications. An initial release would probably have the engine components included. Otherwise new uses would need to download the client and the engine (is that the way to do it?). The alternative is to release the client and ask the user to download the latest engine (or have the client do it first time it runs)

Certainly future apps ought to be able to get the latest engine automatically from the web.

Anyway this is probably rather rambling which just shows that I am not clear how to proceed :eek: :eek: :eek: :)

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
Hi Jon.

Many programs are released with both the client and the engine, then have a menu entry under "Help", that allows an "update" package to be downloaded. I like that approach. The "update" menu entry could link to a webpage for further info on the latest changes for the GUI or the engine.

I don't really like automatic updates, as the enduser may be pleased with an older version, and the new version could introduce unwanted changes/bugs... with no way to revert to the earlier version.

Dick

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Dick

Thanks for the response. Here is what I am doing. I have a menu option to check for updates. This allows a check to be made. The check returns either that the components are up to date or, if not, a clickable link to download the updated component.

This should be in the next builds of SDE TestApp and Bgl2Xml GUI