Future feature for ADE: Library objects distributed along a path?

Firstly, thanks Jon for a super program that just keeps getting better! I've been a happy user for several years now.

I've had an idea for a future feature (I can't see any other threads about it, but I do apologise if it's been suggested before).

It's basically about distributing objects on a path or line, as you can do in many graphic design programs. I'm currently putting in 100-meter distance/edge markers on dirt runways, and was thinking that it would be lovely if you could just go to an "objects on a path" tool, draw a line, and then choose the library object that you wanted, the quantity, and the object heading, and then they would appear at equidistant intervals along that path.

I suppose this could also be useful for other things, like lines of powerpoles, lines of trees (perhaps with a random object heading), lines of ramp lights, and various other objects that I can't think of right now.

Do you think that such a feature be possible with an economical level of programming effort?

Cheers,

David

gadgets

Resource contributor
David, while its not integrated with ADE, FenceBuilder PRO, available at modest cost from FS Addon, simMarket and other fine retailers, has a very sophisticated object placement capability including placing multiple objects in a line at equal intervals. In fact, will place multiple lines of objects at once and, if you want a more random appearance, it will add some "jitter".

But, I agree with you, this would also be very useful in ADE for placing custom runway and taxiway edge light - among other things.

Don

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Both lines of objects and area fill with objects exist in my, old LOM tool and I hope to include them in ADE.

However Don's tool is very good ;-)

Sent from my Sony Xperia with Tapatalk 2

Thanks Jon and Don for your replies.

Don, I had considered FBPro a couple of years ago, but after looking again yesterday, based on your reply, I realised just what it can do. There are some great-looking features, particularly having fences follow terrain.

When I have a little unallocated money (after consultation with my better half!), I think I'll put it next on the list to buy.

Cheers,

David