• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FXEdited effects don't show in sim's FX Tool edit window: why?

Country
france
Hi all,

why do effects tweaked in FXEditor and running OK not display with all details in the sim's FxTool/FxEdit window? This is annoying because it prevents the tweaked effect to be viewed "for real" from inside the simulator.

I have noticed that sometimes effects are fine when viewed in FXEditor, but don't run the same when inside the sim. Thus the necessity to easily check them during run time with the integrated FX Tool.

I can't understand what in the syntax makes an effect able/unable to be displayed in this FXTool. I checked the absence of tabs (FXEditor inserts a tab after each CR), suppressed all double empty lines, checked all values having 2 digits after decimal separator.... I checked everything but my effects out from FXEditor are not detailed in the full FXTool windows with all its panes and tabs.

Why?

Enclosed: an effect tweaked with FxEditor, and what I get from FXTool in the sim (nearly empty edit window)

Attachments

• FxEd+FxTool.zip
    35.6 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
Hmm, an effect I created does display in the FX Editor.

It is a controller with two effects, a fountain and ripples in the bowl:

Country
france
Read my typing George ;)

Mine shows fine in FxEditor, too, but NOT in the simulator FX Tool menu window...

Country
france
In fact I begin to understand that, AS FOR LIGHTS EFFECTS and as far as I see for now, I can't rely on FxEditor to tweak them correctly and see the same in the sim afterwards.

Some settings, mainly timings, display fine in FxEditor but not at all in the sim. For instance, my usual way to switch off a light source in FxEditor is to set its fade-out rate to say 1.00 or less (1% of its lifetime spent to switch from 100% to 0%).
This works perfectly in FxEditor, but back in the sim the light simply don't show or in some cases just don't turn off at all. Weird!

Instead, if I tweak my light source with the Fx Edit/FX Tool within the sim to obtain the desired cut-off (and save), when I re-open this effect with FxEditor the clean switch-off observed in the sim is displayed as a sloooow fade-off in FxEditor. Try to understand!

An other thing: I was thinking that Fx Tool was unable or not intended to open/render light-emitting effects (particles of Type=25). Because every time I changed (in FxEditor) a Type=19 particle into a Type=25 ten this effect was not open by FX Tool anymore. (This incidentally was the reason and the title of this thread).
I just discovered that, if I change 19 into 25 with a text editor and save, then the tweaked effect opens in FXTool like a charm. Conclusion: FXE do stg wrong when saving effects that prevent it to be re-opened and understood by FXTool. Not a big deal in itself but this prevents to tweak in FXE and check in real-time with FX Tool.

So for the time being I'll give up with Fx Editor, but for the controllers (where FXE performs well: what you see in FXE is what you get in the sim).

Sorry Arno, but I was getting mad trying to understand why my lovingly handcrafted effects weren't rendered as expected and now I think I know the reason why. :(

This being said, it doesn't turn me into an instant genius (too bad!) and I'm not finished trying a lot and "erroring" even more before I can master the Art of Effects! :)

Last edited:
Country
france
Btw. is it possible that these "flaws" come from using FXE to create effects to be rendered in P3D2xx? A matter of DX11? Dunno...