• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Gauge to display Metar data

Country
italy
Thanks Tom.

But Ewwwwwwwwww.. Nasty !!!
So in FSX, EVERY "broken or Overcast" Cumulonimbus is causing an active Thunderstorm ??

FSX Atis seems to be able to determine if the Thunderstorm is Moderate or Severe.

Is it a case that if ANY Cumulonimbus is set in the weather, to be "broken or Overcast", it will always cause FSX to produce the Thunder/Lightening effect, or is there really a more precise control ?

The more I look at FSX weather, the less I am impressed. Hopefully Lockheed will consider correcting some of these features in later versions of P3D.

So, for the time being, I will assume, if there is "broken or Overcast" Cumulonimbus, then it is probably a Thunderstorm "in the Vicinity"

I guess this is what REAL Pilots assume as well, to be safe !!

In my weather radar it states that certain images are triggered by lightning. If you can ascertain if lightning has occurred in the sim then that would obviously be more accurate!!
vololiberista

Country
italy
CWR Radar for fs9
Here's an extract from the manuel

If STORM mode is selected the range polygon of a station is filled with a thunderstorm theme
bitmap, if there is a cloud layer type “thunderstorm” present at this station.
This display does not check the altitude window, because this data is not read with a radar
beam. The Storm Scope measures the electromagnetic field of a lightning, and calculates its
position.
The 8 different precipitation theme bitmaps are created out of real weather radar display data.
The CWR displays you following information:
“dense of lightning coverage” (0 to 8/8).
The STORM scope page shows you the position of lightning only. So you can exactly find
position of thunderstorms.
This is also used in real aircrafts.

If that makes sense??
viololiberista

taguilo

Resource contributor
Country
argentina
CWR Radar for fs9
If that makes sense??
viololiberista

Detecting thunderstorms by detecting the position of lightnings in FS?? No sense at all, sorry. There is no weather radar of any kind, in any FS version, that shows a very precise cloud situation (volume, quantity, severity, etc) depicted by FS at any moment. Not even RealityXP WX500, which is one of -if not - the best out there.

Tom

Country
unitedstates
I am seeing in FSX that if ANY Cumulonimbus is set in the weather, to be "broken or Overcast", it will always cause FSX to produce the Thunder/Lightening effect, even if there is no rain.

Well, if thats the criteria that FSX uses, I guess thats what I should process to have a Thunderstorm Detector. Seems to work ---(so I'm Happy)

---------------------

While looking for METAR Decode solutions, I also came across a program that my "Old Friends" FLAPSOUT at "innergears" wrote...

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-5254.html

http://www.innergears.com/InnerGears.zip

The FSX Metar decode seems to work fine, but I think the external METAR part no longer works, (Maybe cannot get the metar into off the Internet ?)

Anyway, it's a useful tool to Decode FSX Metars, and allows you to edit the metar, and re-submit it to the decoder., and inject back into FSX.

------------------------
As far as a STORM SCOPE is concerned -- sounds COOL -- but have yet to see one that works in FSX. -- If it is possible, would be a nice additional gauge to the RADAR Tower Controller !!

Country
us-mississippi
Haven't you guys ever heard of SimVar and its GETWX command?...pretty simple to extract the current metar code for any given weather staton!

Country
us-indiana
Hello jamarogers. I have not heard of SimWar or GETWX,; I'm particularly interested in getting a destination's METARs? How does one obtain those? Also, for GeoffD, there is a simple way, at least I think there it is, to get current and detail info. for FS WX.
Step 1: Of course have FSUIPC.
Step 2. Run FSInterrogate (FSUIPC SDK), it lists all the weather available FSUIPC offsets and it shows the datatype and the math required to convert to useful information.
Step 3: Write a lua to retrieve the offset(s) and assign to a lua variable (L:***). For example: Storm Cloud Base = offset (0EAC).
Step 4: Ensure FSUIPC.ini has the lua running in [Auto] section.
Step 5: Write XML code accessing the L:***

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Step 1: Of course have FSUIPC.
Step 2. Run FSInterrogate (FSUIPC SDK), it lists all the weather available FSUIPC offsets and it shows the datatype and the math required to convert to useful information.
Step 3: Write a lua to retrieve the offset(s) and assign to a lua variable (L:***). For example: Storm Cloud Base = offset (0EAC).
Step 4: Ensure FSUIPC.ini has the lua running in [Auto] section.
Step 5: Write XML code accessing the L:***
Step 6: Check calendar and consider what effect state of development, over the nearly seven intervening years, has had upon the relevancy of this thread.

wxr-header.jpg

Country
us-indiana
Hello. Thank you for your reply. I've communicated with REX and I wanted software to work on another computer/network? They said it is not possible and must install REX on a computer that has the simulator installed on it." So REX does not do what I need. I did however find the answer to my own question. In an old file of FSUIPC's SDK. It has weatherset.exe and weatherset2.exe; which does exactly what I needed - a way to get the METAR of an airport in FS. But thank you REX for the information.