• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Gauge to measure ambient temperature

Hello!
I'm trying to put together an xml gauge to measure AMBIENT TEMPERATURE simulation variable.
I hope that P3D makes differences of ambient temperatures amond seasons and day hour like the real world.
I have modified an SDK example gauge to make the measure and seems to read something.

1) In a summer afternoon, in north Italy, it starts reading 14 that should be °C (Celcius like the manual reports).
Well, if the gauge measures correctly, they should be maybe 34°C.
Is it that we have to add a standard day temperature of 20°C, so 14+20=34?

2) Flying from ground to 45000 ft, the values indeed decrease going to -56, but no differences if I change Season to winter.

Maybe my gauge is faulty, so I here attach the xml if someone would like to take a look at.

Thanks a lot for any valuable input.

Sergio

Attachments

• ExTemp_Gauge.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 13

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Weather is not controlled by the season. Setting the Time/Date to summer will NOT result in summer temperatures.

You need to change the weather either manually (you can choose a weather theme if you want "summer" (Fair Skies or Thunderstorms) or "winter") or by downloading real world weather for today, using an addon program. The former will create the same weather around the world (no changes with location), the latter will create varying weather around the world.

Weather is not controlled by the season. Setting the Time/Date to summer will NOT result in summer temperatures.

You need to change the weather either manually (you can choose a weather theme if you want "summer" (Fair Skies or Thunderstorms) or "winter") or by downloading real world weather for today, using an addon program. The former will create the same weather around the world (no changes with location), the latter will create varying weather around the world.
Well, what if I want a perfect clear sky in a winter day (chilling temperature) without an addon?
Is it possible to edit weather pre-sets?

Any idea on AMBIENT TEMPERATURE variable?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
It's up to you to define the weather you seek. The sim will not do that for you. All information regarding how to do that via SimConnect (only way programmatically) is contained within the SDK.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you want a perfectly clear day in winter then from the starting screen:

1. Choose Weather Theme radio button. Select Clear Skies Theme.
2. Then choose User Defined radio button and click Change.
3. Click on the word Temp
4. Change the temperature (and dew point if desired) to your desired values.
5. Click OK. Click OK.

This is a great input!
This way I'll be able to catch two pigeons with one stone:
1) testing jet engine performance with different temperatures
2) test my gauge and understand how P3D treats AMBIENT TEMPERATURE variable.

Thank you!

Sergio

Country
us-ohio
Clear weather theme.
Select Winter season/set date to December for northern latitudes.

This is a flight simulator, not a weather simulator... so it's not going to define weather the way you might think it should. I can set the date to 1 JAN 23 and set the temperature to 100* F at the north pole... and that will be the ambient temperature at the north pole.

When you select clear weather theme... you are setting the sim to ISA standard.

I understood, so my AMBIENT TEMPERATURE gauge is working well (ISA standard = 14°C).

Now I still have the issue to change the environmental temperature because in P3D v4.5 I wasn't able to find where to set the temperature.
I went to WEATHER USER-DEFINED, ADVANCED WEATHER.

Since I don't need a full weather engine add-on, what I would needed is just a tool to change the temperature.
Any ideas?
Please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
The only tool is the user-defined weather GUI built in. Unless you want to write a SimConnect gauge that sets the weather using METARs.