• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

General Polygon Flatten problem

Country
unitedkingdom
Not totally sure if this is the right place, if not please my apologize and happy for an administrator to move it to somewhere else.

Please note that I have been fighting with this already for 10 days or more, so I've tried lots!!.

Background information.
Using P3D4.4
The photo scenery you see is mine, produced with SBuilder
Airport is LECO (Spain), is based on the default airport. I had to move its location a bit and so on.
FSGlobal as mesh
There is a polygon in the ade file excluding the default airport working fine.
The polygon highlighted in ADE is a general one, flatten and slpped. The inner vertex are all at the same altitude and the outer ones vary but are based on the simulator readings more or less. NO VERTEX IS SET AT 0m, checked a thousand times!

Problems
The most obvious one is that vertical wall triangular shape in the middle of the pic. It shows up when using the flatten poly. With the background poly only, obviously, nothing happens.
Interestingly, at the opposite far end corner of the rwy it happens the same.

Various Checks so far
Using the priority check, no other file seems to be interfering.
Deleted and reconstructed the flatten poly totally or partially using more than one flatten... various options already done here.
Changing the position of the vertexs, wider coverage, smaller, different altitudes...

I'm stuck, I did try a lot more things, but the relevant ones are above. Could anybody help?

Please feel free to ask for more info if you need.

Thank you

Kano

Attachments

• Poly alt defect.JPG
    Poly alt defect.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 265

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Did you try to use multiple flatten polygons? This one is concave in shape, maybe that's part of the problem.

Country
unitedkingdom
Yes I did. Same problem.
What you mean is concave (I know what concave means, I'm asking how do I know it?
Cheers
Kano

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It seems your polygon has a kind of U-shape around the runway. So that makes it concave. Given where the weird elevation showed I thought that might be part of the problem. So you tried already with a few more simple polygons that are convex?

Country
unitedkingdom
Yes, but note the other corner is also rounded and the outcome is good, if I understood properly. In the picture, is just one poly, but today I cut the U shape in halve, I mean I used two polys. The fact is that doing so, all was messed up, terrain full of spikes and so on,(like in many other trials) but made no difference any way.

Remember, and I found this interesting, the same happens in the opposite corner at the far end of the rwy.

Seems like something is hidden perhaps out of the ade environment, something geometric that is cutting those two corners.... honestly totally puzzled...

Thank you Arno anyway for your help

Country
unitedkingdom
I think the problem was overlapping with the main airport background. See the picyure attached "project" to see how I sorted it.

However, I have another problem now. If you see the two pictures, you can see that for some reason, when I compile the project, the polygons are not compiled. I checked the folder settings to the relevant SDK and are correct... puzzled... Sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't see what...

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Attachments

• bgl.JPG
    bgl.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 237
  • project.JPG
    project.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 188
Country
unitedstates
Responding to the concave polygon matter.

It is important to understand that all 3D elements eventually get resolved down to triangles. Using a tool like ADE allows us to simplify our work by specifying polygons. But, at some intermediate step, a process will slice up the polygon into triangles. The method use is usually optimized ... for slicing polygons into triangles, but not for knowing which triangles best represent terrain (that's a huge problem to solve). (And this also does not take into account the possibility that the algorithm might [might, I can't say] add vertices to facilitate the process -- according to its logic.)

Commonly, the algorithm will start with vertex 0 and form a triangle with vertices 0, 1 and 2. And then 0, 2 and 3. And so on. Following this method it is not at all unusual that one area of a concave polygon will appear fine in the sim, while another area will have these problems.

If the first picture is examine with this in mind, it's possible to see how the slope on the right was formed from 4 vertices and the flattened area came about from the four vertices at the bottom being used in triangles to one of those vertices to the right along with one large triangle formed from that vertex on the right, all the way across to the left -- and because those two points were at similar elevations, that long side of the triangle was too low.
In different terms, the three vertices in the small curve at the higher elevation were not connected to the four which form the larger curve at the lower elevation -- the triangle sides went mostly "left-right", not "up-down".

And that is all due to the polygon-to-triangle slicing algorithm. Only way to be sure in difficult cases is to specify exact triangles desired. But, not using concave polygons is a good trial step.

As for the second issue -- things not compiling -- I think there are checkboxes in ADE for individual elements. But I never use those, so I don't know, sorry.