• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

German Finned Spinners; Circa WWII

Country
us-arizona
I wonder what the purpose of these fins was on spinners in WWII? I know the spinners free-wheeled on bearings. I am thinking, with my mild background in aerodynamics, that it makes the air flare out over the spinner and wash into the prop blades, away from the core area of the center of the prop disc zone. Anything else on it?
48189k.jpg
48189k.jpg
fw189finish2002.jpg

Attachments

• page_1.jpg
    page_1.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 581

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Actually it is described as a device for actuating variable pitch propeller independent of hydraulics or engine power. It looks like the third picture above was carefully framed to mimic the "original" below.

focke_wulf_fw_189_a_11-jpg.228413

Surely the German Air Force didn't allow ramp attendants in drag!

UAoMib7.jpg

Yep, the Fw 189's props were Argus built, as was its engines. The same was fitted to the Siebel Si 204. The Argus props were controllable pitch, but not constant speed, meaning the pilot controlled the pitch change, or it was done by aerodynamic forces and not a C/S governor.

What follows is purely guesswork, since I've never seen the mechanism of one of these, but I'm assuming the turning vanes would mechanically counter-balance aerodynamic loading on the prop blades. When you increase the power levers, the forces want to decrease blade angle, but the turning vanes would counter this to enable the blade angle to increase or not change, depending on the setting the pilot selects. The vanes would act in the opposite as when the power is brought back, the decrease in rpm wants to increase the angle, but the rotating vanes would counter it. I think this is right; other controllable pitch props work in a similar way using counter-weights to counteract aerodynamic loading.
https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/fw-189-prop-spinner-question.36427/

LMGTFY, 4th hit down on the page for me.

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Or, if you don’t read German, it’s a windmill device which powered the variable-pitch mechanism for the prop. Different...

Country
germany
No Tom,
have a look:
Das Untersetzungsgetriebe für die Propellerwelle war ein Planetengetriebe mit einer Untersetzung von 0,67. Um die Leistung gegenüber dem AS 10 bei nahezu gleichem Hubraum zu steigern, wurde ein über Stirnrädern von der Kurbelwelle angetriebener Schleuderlader eingebaut

means by Google Translator:

The reduction gear for the propeller shaft was a planetary gear with a reduction of 0.67. In order to increase the power compared to the AS 10 at almost the same displacement, a spur loader driven by spur wheels of the crankshaft was installed

It is a centrifugal compressor for the engine imho

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Country
us-arizona
Still makes no sense as to why they have giant fins hanging out there on a spinner. Was it to bleed off heat or an aerodynamic aid to the prop or engine?

Surely it was an aerodynamic aid...

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
My dear Bill, the said thingy is a Rippenhaube and uses the passing air stream to power a variable-pitch mechanism for the propellor, so, yes, it could be said to be an aerodynamic device. By comparison, a Hamilton prop uses engine oil pressure to power its variable-pitch mechanism. More details at WW2Aircraft.net and see post #9 in the discussion there. Pilatus's P2-05 trainer also used an Argus A410-A2 with the same mechanism to operate its Hoffman Argus L22 variable-pitch propellor.

Even more details here!

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
You are correct, Tom. :)

I also checked with Hal Bryan (FS Fame) and he knew all about it. The DeHavilland air racers had a similar prop assembly. It controls prop pitch. Very sophisticated thinking.
40457786_10160755066145321_3444175849945825280_o.jpg
Ratier Props.JPG

Country
finland
Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Very nice work...

You know that I made one ages ago for FS2004? At the time, it was so hard to find information on them. Rare plane these days. I wonder if you are the person I spoke with? Someone was rebuilding one in Germany.

Country
finland
Yes, I still know your Bestmann. I bought it for FX and flew it quite a bit.

I'm sure it was Ralph Gaida. He restored his 181 some 10 years ago and still flies it. It's a pretty rare plane, some 10 are flying worldwide.

I'm actually building it for AFS2 at the moment. I love the sim, but quite an undertaking to learn it..

Cheers,
Kai

Country
us-arizona
I sure gave that sim a try. We (the two developers) and I could not figure out how to do retractable landing gear. After I think 30 days? I gave up and walked away. They have a App for their sim that I guess they couldnt share, so I never got the retractable gear to work. If that couldnt get done, how much more would there be that couldnt get working. Stressful.

The worst part was my plane looked so awesome in that sim. What an amazing, beautiful sim. Just couldnt get a plane to work in it.... :(

Dino is having some good results, but I do not think his birds are fully functioning yet in AFS2.