• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Get GPS Map Image

Country
france
Hello,

Does anyone know if we can get the GPS map display into a bitmap?
My idea is to get the map in a bitmap image to process the image in a specific way before displaying it.

Any information is greatly welcome.

Eric

Country
us-arizona
Hey Eric,

I have wanted to do something similar to this for ages. I think though the only way to do this is to paste a gauge to the face of a polygon. The gauge can utilise a temporary 'screen' or image, then revert to the map/GPS screen. I use something similar; a Garmin bootup screen that appears for a period of time, then goes to the map view mode.

Bill

Country
unitedstates
On the gauge side I thought it was possible to get the GPS dll render the map (including the terrain) to an HDC optionally adding stuff to it, which is basically what you need to paint overlays in GDI+. I think it's possible to get an in-memory bitmap from the HDC through a win32 GDI call - in fact, it's how you convert a native bitmap to a .NET image or WPF using interop.

I haven't played with that recently but I remember seeing an example in the gauge SDK to at least get the GPS to paint on an HDC. What I don't know is whether it's possible to get the GPS dll to paint the map on any HDC (ie, a non-gauge drawing surface). It's one area of the gauge code that is very poorly documented.

Etienne

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I haven't played with that recently but I remember seeing an example in the gauge SDK to at least get the GPS to paint on an HDC. What I don't know is whether it's possible to get the GPS dll to paint the map on any HDC (ie, a non-gauge drawing surface). It's one area of the gauge code that is very poorly documented.

Etienne

It's poorly documented because ACES never actually intended to expose the gps .dll to C programmers. They included all the necessary bits in the gauges.h file to compile the gps.dll, but did not provide any SDK documentation on the function calls... :(

All I can say is that it can be done and has been done. Anything else would be in violation of an NDA with my employer... ;)

Country
unitedstates
Surely we do not prevent ramblings on generalities of the possible, certainly untested stuff that only sounds like a good idea, yet by happenstance occurs on certain released products. Any ideas on coding hacks are of course indirectly suggested :)

Eric, methinks you have in the above posts all the info you need.

Etienne

Last edited: